LED Comparison - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Steve L.'s Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Posts: 1,690
Registry
LED Comparison

Being without adult supervision, (FWIW, the position of woman-friend is open and I'm accepting applications! WAH!!! I kill myself!) I have some discretionary income which I used to purchase a light meter (Extech 407026). This light meter measures lux and/or foot-candles. One lux is apparently 1 lumen/sq. meter. But a lumen is apparently a measure of all the light a bulb produces, not just light brightness in the center of the aiming point. (Surefire's description is as good as any I could find: Flashlight Technology - Page 1), So for my purpose I'm comparing lux as a relative measurement to tell me which LED provides the best light to read by. And buying an integrating sphere photometer(!) to measure lumens is way beyond my piddle-away limit.

I've always been a SuperBrightLEDs guy and Dr. LED makes West Marine LED products so that is where I got my comparison samples. I recently purchased the 45 LED lamps and got to wondering whether there was a net gain considering the increase in cost. This my little study.

Repeatability was pretty good as I got a different result than I expected and I repeated the measurements. Experientially, my existing cool white PCB lights were noticeably brighter (I have no issue with the cool white color, in fact I rather like it). But with the new 45 LED bulb the warm white was brighter so I redid all the measurements.

I make no recommendations, just putting the data out there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LED Comparison.pdf (37.4 KB, 81 views)
__________________

__________________
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Sounds like someone may have too much time on his hands?
__________________

__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Steve does state he is sans woman, ergo discretionary income.
I imagine that light meter cost a few $$$
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
I like the little chart with the pics Steve,somehow looks familiar to me?

I also have some issues with certain LEDs interfering with my Television and so I maintain a few incandescent bulbs to get light without any TV interference.

Any experience with this so far?
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
fusedlight's Avatar
 
Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 672
Registry
Good chart... The column I like is that Lux/Amp one. Compare that 18W incandescent with the SB cool white: 69 v. 295. 6.4 times more efficient. Zounds! Add to that the life time of the LED (as in forever!) and you have a winner.

I just picked up a tri-colour LED coil'o'lamps with a controller for sticking under my (only two weeks now until I have it!!!) Scamp's awning. That will let me dim to a warm glow or go up to full brightness AND have a disco party if I want it. Details in a month or so...
__________________
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Gary,
I think you meant 69 vs 442 = 6.4

The cost per lux does not consider the energy consumed. Potentially extending your battery life 3-6 times between charges is worth it.
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
fusedlight's Avatar
 
Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 672
Registry
Yeh... well... my fingers move faster than my, um, what's that thing inside my skull called ????

Yes indeed... it's the extension of battery life I really care about too! Cost/Lux is nice, but it's the way it sips power that I like!
__________________
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post

I also have some issues with certain LEDs interfering with my Television and so I maintain a few incandescent bulbs to get light without any TV interference.
That's probably a switching regulator circuit on the LED board. Buy the cheap EBay LEDs. All they have is a resistor.
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Being without adult supervision, (FWIW, the position of woman-friend is open and I'm accepting applications! WAH!!! I kill myself!) I have some discretionary income which I used to purchase a light meter (Extech 407026). This light meter measures lux and/or foot-candles. One lux is apparently 1 lumen/sq. meter. But a lumen is apparently a measure of all the light a bulb produces, not just light brightness in the center of the aiming point. (Surefire's description is as good as any I could find: Flashlight Technology - Page 1), So for my purpose I'm comparing lux as a relative measurement to tell me which LED provides the best light to read by. And buying an integrating sphere photometer(!) to measure lumens is way beyond my piddle-away limit.

I've always been a SuperBrightLEDs guy and Dr. LED makes West Marine LED products so that is where I got my comparison samples. I recently purchased the 45 LED lamps and got to wondering whether there was a net gain considering the increase in cost. This my little study.

Repeatability was pretty good as I got a different result than I expected and I repeated the measurements. Experientially, my existing cool white PCB lights were noticeably brighter (I have no issue with the cool white color, in fact I rather like it). But with the new 45 LED bulb the warm white was brighter so I redid all the measurements.

I make no recommendations, just putting the data out there.
I like your chart, for warm white Dr LED seems as a winner. Did you select the same light source (Tungsten/Daylight, Fluorescent, Sodium, Mercury) for all of your measurements?
George.
__________________
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I like the little chart with the pics Steve,somehow looks familiar to me?

I also have some issues with certain LEDs interfering with my Television and so I maintain a few incandescent bulbs to get light without any TV interference.

Any experience with this so far?
All of my lights are LEDs and have no interference with TV.
George.
__________________
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Steve L.'s Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Posts: 1,690
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
I like your chart, for warm white Dr LED seems as a winner. Did you select the same light source (Tungsten/Daylight, Fluorescent, Sodium, Mercury) for all of your measurements?
George.
I used the tungsten/daylight position for all measurements. But I did look at the effect of switching. It changed the magnitude some (about 10 lux min to max) but it didn't seem to change the relative relationships.
__________________
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Steve L.'s Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Posts: 1,690
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I like the little chart with the pics
I also have some issues with certain LEDs interfering with my Television and so I maintain a few incandescent bulbs to get light without any TV interference.

Any experience with this so far?
I do get some sort of intermittent interference on my radio but I've always attributed it to the converter. I have a vague memory of switching off the converter circuit breaker and the noise ceasing. I'll have to repeat the experiment.

In the case of the Dr LED light, the catalogue claims "Zero RF emission, surface mount device design". I would expect no less from the SuperbrightLEDs even though it's not specifically called out.
__________________
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Gary,
I think you meant 69 vs 442 = 6.4

The cost per lux does not consider the energy consumed. Potentially extending your battery life 3-6 times between charges is worth it.

A '69 442?
Wow!
One of my all time fav's.
Oh that's NOT what you meant?
__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
4 barrel, Hurst 4 on the floor,dual exhausts=442
__________________

__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another view of LED/1156 lighting comparison kevin61 Modifications, Alterations and Updates 8 04-17-2009 12:27 AM
1156 / LED light comparison Gerry Modifications, Alterations and Updates 13 04-09-2009 04:22 PM
Size comparison... Lee Hillsgrove General Chat 1 08-18-2006 01:12 PM
Burro - U-Haul Comparison General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.