LED Interior Lights - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
After looking at the various LED lights at www.superbrightleds.com I couldn’t make up my mind, so I ordered one of each of the three I was interested in. I then compared them with the 921 bulb that came standard in the interior of my EggCamper. The "measured wavelength" was taken from my camera RAW file for each picture. Following are the specs for the 921 and the three LEDs I ordered:

921 (warm white)
1.4 Amp
3350 nm Measured Wavelength
Cost: less than a buck

T10-PCB-WHP9 (warm white)
190 mA Current Draw
92 Lumens
3100 nm Dominant Wavelength (3600 nm measured)
Cost: $21.95

WLED-WWHP10-D (warm white)
195 mA Current Draw
98 Lumens
3100 nm Dominant Wavelength (3550 nm measured)
Cost: $14.95

WLED-CWHP10-D (cool white)
205 mA Current Draw
111 Lumens
7000 nm Dominant Wavelength (5050 nm measured)
Cost: $14.95

Picture one shows the four bulbs, from left to right: 921, WHP9, WWHP10-D, and CWHP10-D

Click image for larger version

Name:	1___All__Small_.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	26737

Picture two shows the backs of the two types of LEDs. The electronics for the WHP9 is contained in the black bundle in the cord. The electronics for the two CWHP10 lights is contained on the backs. It didn’t matter how I plugged them in, they all worked either way, (actually there was only one practical way to plug in the CWHP10 lights). There was plenty of clearance for either type, but with the WHP9 I had to lay the light directly on the fixture diffuser, (shouldn’t be a problem), and had to tuck the cord out of the way.

Name:	2___Backs__Small_.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	26738

To show the brightness and coverage of each light I photographed all four in the same fixture and at the same f-stop and shutter speed. I took the pictures in RAW so the pictures would give an idea of the color temperatures.

Picture three – 921
Picture four –WHP9
Picture five – WWHP10-D
Picture six – CWHP10-D

Name:	3___921__Small_.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	26739

Name:	5___WWHP10__Small_.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	26741
[attachment=31613:6___CWHP10__Small_.jp
g]

The results? They were close to equal brightness and coverage; the differences weren’t significant as far as I was concerned. I was really surprised the 921 wasn't a lot brighter than the others. I did like the warm white better than the cool. Therefore, I decided to go with the WWHP10-D since it was only $14.95 and had the easy plug in fixture without the long cord that you have to tuck out of the way. From the pictures it does look like the WHP9 gives a more even light, but I didn't notice any real difference when I tried them out; I'll have to do more investigating to see if there is any practical difference.
Attached Thumbnails
4___WWHP9__Small_.jpg   6___CWHP10__Small_.jpg  

Old 03-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #2

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Good comparison Ray!

We are slowly going to all low draw lights and have chosen to add cold cathode lights. We are now thinking of doing the existing 12v lights too where we haven't taken them out.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #3

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Ray,

That's very interesting, and I love comparative data. Thanks for taking the time to carry out the experiment and to post the information so clearly.

Raya
Old 03-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Very useful, Ray! It's nice to have the price, color spectra, and pictures all pulled together.

One small correction: Human vision is in the 400-700nm range. 3000nm wavelength light is in the infrared range. The numbers you're citing are the color temperature, or Kelvin color temp, a measure o the color of light emitted by tungsten (I think) when heated to a specific temperature in Kelvins. 3000K is in the range of incandescent light, 4500K is "cool" white, 6000K is "daylight." There'a a body of research that suggests we see detail best at 3500-4000K.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #5

Name: Larry H
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Nice Job!
For my Trillium 1300 I used some little 3 LED light bars for general illumination and modified high intensity desk lamp
(bypass transformer, change plug, 10W halogen lamp)for task lighting,. . The 12VDC LEd light bars draw only 30 ma and provide
plenty of light for getting around the trailer. The lightbar is wired in parallel with the fixture power wires with a small off/on switch.
The bar is glued to the lens with RTV silicone. I have one over the table and one over the galley. That means only 60 ma for
general trailer lighting and about 800ma for task lighting. Have XM radio setup with small digital amp/Klipsch speakers that only
draws 400 ma total = great entertainment for little juice.
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=680
Larry H

Name:	LEDFixture.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	26854
Attached Thumbnails
LEDlens.jpg   general2.jpg  

Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #6

Name: B & N
Trailer: View
Michigan
Registry
[QUOTE=Larry C Hanson;205308]Nice Job!
For my Trillium 1300 I used some little 3 LED light bars for general illumination and modified high intensity desk lamp
(bypass transformer, change plug, 10W halogen lamp)for task lighting,. . The 12VDC LEd light bars draw only 30 ma and provide
plenty of light for getting around the trailer. The lightbar is wired in parallel with the fixture power wires with a small off/on switch.
The bar is glued to the lens with RTV silicone. I have one over the table and one over the galley. That means only 60 ma ...
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=680

Larry -

Thanks for for your post! I was wondering if you could show us a few comparison photos of your light bars in action as compared to your 'regular' bulbs? Just curious how much light and what color (temp) they are.

Also, I like your sub mini switch (red cap) would like to know your source and cost - - I would like several DPDT so I can easily switch to either LED or back to factory bulbs.

Bill
Old 02-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #7

Name: Larry H
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Hello Bill,
Unfortunately I am in Minnesota until the end of March taking care of some family business, but I will post some photos when I return to Arizona.
It seems like I bought the switch with a selection of little plastic covers but I don't remember where (CRS?). Here is one from Radio Shack that would work:
SPST High-Current Mini Toggle Switch - RadioShack.com
Here is a selection of switches from another supplier I use. The parts are inexpensive, and shipping costs add up, but the company offers free shipping
on orders over $25 as I recall: Switches - Toggle | AllElectronics.com
In my setup the switch and LED bar are wired in parallel with the switch and incandescent bulb of the stock fixture. I just tapped into the wires where the
stock fixture was wire nutted to the trailer wiring using very small gauge wire as the current draw is so small on the LEDs.
Larry H

Tags
led lights, lighting