LED Lamp fixtures - what and where? - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
Ontario
LED Lamp fixtures - what and where?

I want to get at least 6 complete LED lamp fixtures, not bulb replacements, and am having trouble finding them, at a reasonable price.
Suggestions, links, pictures would be appreciated.
The existing ones with the LED replacements have cracked domes and intermittent switches and it's time for a change.
Thanks.
Mike .....>

Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #2

Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
Do Replacement Retrofit LEDs in the old fixtures and forgetaboutit.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
LED lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
I want to get at least 6 complete LED lamp fixtures, not bulb replacements, and am having trouble finding them, at a reasonable price.
Suggestions, links, pictures would be appreciated.
The existing ones with the LED replacements have cracked domes and intermittent switches and it's time for a change.
Thanks.
Mike .....>
Mike I have LED interior lights on sale on my website.
Take a look under dome lights.
Chuck
Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #4

Name: Kyle
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Waaaay cheaper here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Stars-F35...led+dome+light
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
True, Kyle, but we like to support members here on the forum when we can. Sometimes service exceeds price savings.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

Name: Kyle
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Fair enough! You guys have been a wealth of knowledge for my upcoming build. Hopefully
I didn't offend.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
You can get LED bulbs for just about any light fixture. Find (buy) an incandescent fixture that suits your application and order LED replacement bulbs. This has worked well for me, with one exception:

I ordered a pair of lovely fixtures from Vintage Trailer Supply and replaced the incandescent 1383 bulbs with 1383-220 LED bulbs from Starlights, Inc. Both LED bulbs failed within 3 hours of installation. The operating voltage for the bulbs was specified as 8 - 30 volts. I measured the voltage at the fixture, 13.6 vdc and, unlike other LED bulbs that I've installed, these bulbs were very hot to the touch when I removed them from the fixture. My attempts to contact Starlights, Inc have been a waste of my time. My recommendation: stay clear of Starlights, Inc.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #8

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
I'm thinking along the lines of LED ribbon lights, since there are no fixtures present worth keeping in my Trillium. They are a little spendy, but unobtrusive and very bright. Also a nice way to add lights to the plain roof vent to give some overhead light.

Since the LEDs are all 12 volt DC, i thought to just run them all on battery and discard the supplied transformers.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
I'm thinking along the lines of LED ribbon lights, since there are no fixtures present worth keeping in my Trillium. They are a little spendy, but unobtrusive and very bright. Also a nice way to add lights to the plain roof vent to give some overhead light.

Since the LEDs are all 12 volt DC, i thought to just run them all on battery and discard the supplied transformers.
Check out beetlefreak's store for LED lighting. His rig is like a Xmas tree, and I think he also has dimmers for 12V.

Beetlefreaks VW Toys

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #10

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
Here (Automotive Household Truck Trailer RV Lighting Led Light Bulbs) is where I got my replacement fixtures when I re-did 12v in our '78 Trillium 1300. Look for "Jumbo 24 led utility fixture". I got the warm white and we're very satisfied with the light they provide.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #11

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I've got a lot of ribbon-type lights in our Scamp and we're very happy with them. Sip power, and a nice even source of light.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #12

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Hi Michael,
You mentioned using LED ribbons. I highly recommend this if you find the proper location. They run on 12V so it's easy to wire them. Most styles can be cut with scissors to any length (as long as you cut in the proper location-well marked). Ribbons come with stick backs, so you simpy peel and press to attach. It sticks REAL good to clean fiberglass, or any other smooth surface. You can also dim them with the proper type of dimmer. Be sure to use PWM style dimmers. Also be sure to get WARM white color as the regular white is too blue.
Enjoy,
Rick