LED light fixtures - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
LED light fixtures

It's time to replace my light fixtures. I wish I could do just the bulbs but, the plastic of the fixtures has rotted away to nothing.
I need a simple, flush mount fixture, with warm white LED's, and a switch.
I've looked on superbrightled.com; not really what I'm looking for.
Amazon; lots of potential options, but for every ten good reviews there's a "it caught on fire the moment I turned it on" review.
Anyone with a success story any maybe a pic.?
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:10 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
Amazon; lots of potential options, but for every ten good reviews there's a "it caught on fire the moment I turned it on" review.
Perhaps one on ten people don't know how to install a light fixture.

You could go to the Scamp Parts Store. (LED bulbs to be bought separately).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
REVIEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
It's time to replace my light fixtures. I wish I could do just the bulbs but, the plastic of the fixtures has rotted away to nothing.
I need a simple, flush mount fixture, with warm white LED's, and a switch.
I've looked on superbrightled.com; not really what I'm looking for.
Anyone with a success story any maybe a pic.?
I look at online reviews with a jaundiced eye . Many of the low ratings are based on the purchaser making a wrong choice or not knowing how to install or operate the item . We were looking at reviews of a State Park we wanted to visit. There were several bad reviews (1 out of 5) . The reasons for the bad reviews were
1 ) The WIFI was bad and they couldn't watch movies on their laptop 2) The park had insects 3) The sand on the beach was too coarse and they didn't allow dogs to run on the beach.
Since trailer lights are only two wire devices , the chances of hooking them up wrong and starting a fire are slim and none.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
We installed these puck lights under our cabinets when we were rehabbing our trailer. They are 12v lights that came with a 110v converter. We just cut the lines and wired them directly to the 12v system of the trailer. And they work great. There is one, however, that needs to have the spring that holds the leds in place adjusted....it always pops out after a day of travel... But they work great and as been stated before, it's darn near impossible to install them wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
lites.jpg   lites2.jpg  

Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #5

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I agree with Gordon 2....when reading reviews on Amazon consider the overall total of positive reviews vs the negative. Many many reviewers are idiots who
blame the product for their ineptitude. Some are impossible to please.
If the reviewer says the fixture caught fire on the first use then chances are good he installed it wrong and blamed the product.

I have ordered dozens of products from Amazon...all had a few bad reviews mixed in with the good...every product met or exceeded expectations .

Now a few things I did learn: Some LED lights interfere with television reception.
Many folks find it uncomfortable to read under LED lights. Others just don't like the light cast by LEDs...it is not a "natural" light.
There are at least 3 different "light" types from warm and "soft" to just too harsh.

I changed out my light bulbs to LED. My wife hates them.
I can tolerate their un-natural light.....I retained my old incandescent bulbs...I must turn off the LEDs to watch TV off my antenna as the new bulbs block the signal to my LED HDTV (that I did not see coming)....but my battery lasts longer when boondocking!

If you do mostly full hookup campground camping stick with the incandescent bulbs....your eyes will thank you.

Good luck !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Let there be light!

By flush mount, do you actually mean surface mount? Flush mount means that the face of the fixture is on the same plane as the wall or ceiling that it is mounted in.

I have two of these: Robot Check that I don't use anymore because they were too bright for me. In my rebuild, I used led strip lighting under my counter top and under my upper cabinet, as well as an RGB strip on my wrap-around shelf over the back window. These were inspired by a member of this forum. All are controlled with dimmer switches. This allows me to use the right amount of light to suit my needs or to set the mood. I want indirect light, it's not an operating room. It's one of those Feng Shui things. I'm not an electrician, but these were easy and fun to install. My books are on my Kindle, so a reading light is not needed. I also have a motion-activated light in my main lower cabinet that I highly recomend: Robot
Check

So, I would say my story is a success story. Pictures Will happen, I promise.

I depend on reviews when making purchases, and a lot can be learned by reading them. I pay special attention to the negative reviews, and many of them have nothing to do with the product.

Happy shopping. I don't think you have much to fear from 12v lights.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Azur
Trailer: 1980 Burro, 1973 Trillium 1300, 1977 Surfside 14',1975 Boler 13'
Washington
Registry
M4 Products has some nice lighting products and all the ikea LEDs are 12v if you remove the transformer on them. You can then wire them straight into your systems wiring. Good luck.
Azurko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

We put the T-5 tubes in from M4, they are great, more light than before
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurko View Post
M4 Products has some nice lighting products and all the ikea LEDs are 12v if you remove the transformer on them. You can then wire them straight into your systems wiring. Good luck.

Attention, the information posted above is not correct.
All Ikea LED are not 12 volt. I know that because I went to the Seattle area Ikea store just a few months ago and looked at the output specifications on the transformer for almost all of their LED lights and only a very few were 12 volts. So do not just order from the Ikea internet store and assume that they are going to be 12 volt. Unfortunately the information on their website about the units does not tell you what the output voltage is.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light