LED Lighting made easy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
LED Lighting made easy

I haven't used these for an extensive period of time in my Boler, but they sure are convenient (stick on), they're bright, and it's easy to change the battery. Bed Bath and Beyond had 3 for $10 US. Lowes had them in black. Don't recall the price. Have found many places to use them in the house as well!
Attached Thumbnails
image-2276736462.jpg  
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I used something like that for about 2 years. I got tired of changing the batteries. Replaced them LED fixtures that I modified to have two different light levels. They're wired into the house battery.
I also replaced all the incandescent fixture bulbs with LED bulbs.
Current --- 1 incandescent = 1.5 Amps
6 LED fixtures, 2 CCFL tubes = 1.5 Amps.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Call me clueless, but it doesn't seem like it would be easy to change the batteries in these stick-on lights. Most of them do not thread off, so don't you have to un-stick the fixture's back from the wall to take the back off, and get the batteries out?
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
Call me clueless, but it doesn't seem like it would be easy to change the batteries in these stick-on lights. Most of them do not thread off, so don't you have to un-stick the fixture's back from the wall to take the back off, and get the batteries out?
They unscrew from the base, so it's easy to change the batteries.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Part of it probably depends on how and how much you camp. We're camping for at least 3 months in the winter. The batteries last about 1 week when the sun sets around 5 to 6 pm. That would be 36 batteries per light and we used two most of the time. That's a total of 72 batteries at a cost of about $40.00+

If only camp in the summer when sun sets late the if run the lights for less than an hour at time and only 10 or less days. It does make a bit of a difference.

So what ever works for you, go for it.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Newark,
It:s very easy to replace incandescent lamps with LEDs . That is by far the easiest and least expensive way to go.

We began by replacing the lamps we use all the time first and only have the Scamps standard florescent running on AC. Plan to replace that with a strip Led when I find one.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Part of it probably depends on how and how much you camp. We're camping for at least 3 months in the winter. The batteries last about 1 week when the sun sets around 5 to 6 pm. That would be 36 batteries per light and we used two most of the time. That's a total of 72 batteries at a cost of about $40.00+

If only camp in the summer when sun sets late the if run the lights for less than an hour at time and only 10 or less days. It does make a bit of a difference.

So what ever works for you, go for it.
Use sure does matter! For us they're for occasional use and in areas not presently served by wiring. They're advertised as giving "up to" 100 hours on a battery. We shall see... So far they've been quite useful.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Use sure does matter! For us they're for occasional use and in areas not presently served by wiring. They're advertised as giving "up to" 100 hours on a battery. We shall see... So far they've been quite useful.
Dollar Tree sells these for a buck. I stick them in storage compartments and out of the way places to provide a little extra light. I also have them all over the house in closets and pantries, wherever darkness lurks.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Those Sylvania Dot-it lights are the most commonly sold around Alberta. Adhesive backing, and back held on with 3 tiny screws. So, they would have to be removed from the wall to change the battery. Dumb design? I'm afraid if I used them on the raw 'wood' inside closets, that it would splinter when I had to un-adhere them, to change the battery. But it is hard to find the right bottle of wine, in that dark cabinet behind the bed...
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It is a stupid design. However, they do have competitors worth checking out.
I've got mine mounted with adhesive back Velcro. Have to position the Velcro so it doesn't cover the screws, but you can pull them off the wall and replace the batteries.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #11

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
I buy all of my batteries for flashlights & LED lanterns, stick-on lights etc. at The Dollar Tree. They usually have Panasonic 4-packs of AA and AAA, and sometimes 8-packs of Sunbeam alkaline. (Unlike other stores with "dollar" in their name, everything at Dollar Tree really is a buck.) The batteries are fine for lighting applications - I wouldn't use them for a camera or anything needing a little more draw. I have also seen LED puck lights there, though I expect the quality of those is a little suspect.

Mary & The RG
'81 Scamp 13
'01 Subaru Outback
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
I buy all of my batteries for flashlights & LED lanterns, stick-on lights etc. at The Dollar Tree. They usually have Panasonic 4-packs of AA and AAA, and sometimes 8-packs of Sunbeam alkaline. (Unlike other stores with "dollar" in their name, everything at Dollar Tree really is a buck.) The batteries are fine for lighting applications - I wouldn't use them for a camera or anything needing a little more draw. I have also seen LED puck lights there, though I expect the quality of those is a little suspect.

Mary & The RG
'81 Scamp 13
'01 Subaru Outback
We do the same thing ....I have found the the life for them is as good and sometimes better than the regular battery ( Rayovac,Duracell,etc)that I use to buy. I always date mine so that I have an idea of had old they are when I change them. I have the same type lights in cabnets at home & have had Dollar Tree Batteries in them for over a year(AA's) I keep a little LED flashlight by my bed that uses 3AAA,I use it all the time.They also have been in it for the same amount of time.

You should be good with your lights for a long time.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote