LED Lighting made easy - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner2016
North Carolina
Posts: 135
LED Lighting made easy

I haven't used these for an extensive period of time in my Boler, but they sure are convenient (stick on), they're bright, and it's easy to change the battery. Bed Bath and Beyond had 3 for $10 US. Lowes had them in black. Don't recall the price. Have found many places to use them in the house as well!
Attached Thumbnails
image-2276736462.jpg  
__________________

__________________
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,313
Registry
I used something like that for about 2 years. I got tired of changing the batteries. Replaced them LED fixtures that I modified to have two different light levels. They're wired into the house battery.
I also replaced all the incandescent fixture bulbs with LED bulbs.
Current --- 1 incandescent = 1.5 Amps
6 LED fixtures, 2 CCFL tubes = 1.5 Amps.
__________________

__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Posts: 144
Call me clueless, but it doesn't seem like it would be easy to change the batteries in these stick-on lights. Most of them do not thread off, so don't you have to un-stick the fixture's back from the wall to take the back off, and get the batteries out?
__________________
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner2016
North Carolina
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
Call me clueless, but it doesn't seem like it would be easy to change the batteries in these stick-on lights. Most of them do not thread off, so don't you have to un-stick the fixture's back from the wall to take the back off, and get the batteries out?
They unscrew from the base, so it's easy to change the batteries.
__________________
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,313
Registry
Part of it probably depends on how and how much you camp. We're camping for at least 3 months in the winter. The batteries last about 1 week when the sun sets around 5 to 6 pm. That would be 36 batteries per light and we used two most of the time. That's a total of 72 batteries at a cost of about $40.00+

If only camp in the summer when sun sets late the if run the lights for less than an hour at time and only 10 or less days. It does make a bit of a difference.

So what ever works for you, go for it.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Newark,
It:s very easy to replace incandescent lamps with LEDs . That is by far the easiest and least expensive way to go.

We began by replacing the lamps we use all the time first and only have the Scamps standard florescent running on AC. Plan to replace that with a strip Led when I find one.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner2016
North Carolina
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Part of it probably depends on how and how much you camp. We're camping for at least 3 months in the winter. The batteries last about 1 week when the sun sets around 5 to 6 pm. That would be 36 batteries per light and we used two most of the time. That's a total of 72 batteries at a cost of about $40.00+

If only camp in the summer when sun sets late the if run the lights for less than an hour at time and only 10 or less days. It does make a bit of a difference.

So what ever works for you, go for it.
Use sure does matter! For us they're for occasional use and in areas not presently served by wiring. They're advertised as giving "up to" 100 hours on a battery. We shall see... So far they've been quite useful.
__________________
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Use sure does matter! For us they're for occasional use and in areas not presently served by wiring. They're advertised as giving "up to" 100 hours on a battery. We shall see... So far they've been quite useful.
Dollar Tree sells these for a buck. I stick them in storage compartments and out of the way places to provide a little extra light. I also have them all over the house in closets and pantries, wherever darkness lurks.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Posts: 144
Those Sylvania Dot-it lights are the most commonly sold around Alberta. Adhesive backing, and back held on with 3 tiny screws. So, they would have to be removed from the wall to change the battery. Dumb design? I'm afraid if I used them on the raw 'wood' inside closets, that it would splinter when I had to un-adhere them, to change the battery. But it is hard to find the right bottle of wine, in that dark cabinet behind the bed...
__________________
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
It is a stupid design. However, they do have competitors worth checking out.
I've got mine mounted with adhesive back Velcro. Have to position the Velcro so it doesn't cover the screws, but you can pull them off the wall and replace the batteries.
__________________
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
Member
 
Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Posts: 41
Registry
I buy all of my batteries for flashlights & LED lanterns, stick-on lights etc. at The Dollar Tree. They usually have Panasonic 4-packs of AA and AAA, and sometimes 8-packs of Sunbeam alkaline. (Unlike other stores with "dollar" in their name, everything at Dollar Tree really is a buck.) The batteries are fine for lighting applications - I wouldn't use them for a camera or anything needing a little more draw. I have also seen LED puck lights there, though I expect the quality of those is a little suspect.

Mary & The RG
'81 Scamp 13
'01 Subaru Outback
__________________
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Chalet
Posts: 510
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
I buy all of my batteries for flashlights & LED lanterns, stick-on lights etc. at The Dollar Tree. They usually have Panasonic 4-packs of AA and AAA, and sometimes 8-packs of Sunbeam alkaline. (Unlike other stores with "dollar" in their name, everything at Dollar Tree really is a buck.) The batteries are fine for lighting applications - I wouldn't use them for a camera or anything needing a little more draw. I have also seen LED puck lights there, though I expect the quality of those is a little suspect.

Mary & The RG
'81 Scamp 13
'01 Subaru Outback
We do the same thing ....I have found the the life for them is as good and sometimes better than the regular battery ( Rayovac,Duracell,etc)that I use to buy. I always date mine so that I have an idea of had old they are when I change them. I have the same type lights in cabnets at home & have had Dollar Tree Batteries in them for over a year(AA's) I keep a little LED flashlight by my bed that uses 3AAA,I use it all the time.They also have been in it for the same amount of time.

You should be good with your lights for a long time.
__________________

__________________
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interior LED Lighting Alex C Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 32 05-10-2015 07:34 PM
LED Lighting ??? Randy Bishop General Chat 11 05-24-2012 06:39 PM
Egg Yolk made easy.... cpaharley2008 Modifications, Alterations and Updates 13 06-30-2011 07:18 PM
Led lighting JIMZ Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 48 01-19-2006 07:31 PM
LED lighting Legacy Posts Modifications, Alterations and Updates 50 07-22-2003 11:25 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.