LED lights in Original light sockets - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Hey Steve,
I started to kill some led's as well, and I kinda figured it was also due to the converter.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I have two of the 36 LED Superbright LED units in the trailer but haven't had a lot of luck with them. Multiple LEDs have "died" so the light output is noticeably reduced. I've speculated that it might have to do with running the LEDs when the converter/charger is running and the LEDs are seeing too much voltage than off the the battery alone. (I use the wide angle LEDs).

Perhaps I got a bad batch if others have had no issues. If so, I would definitely try a couple more because while they were fully functional I was happy with them.
My guess is that there are 5 or 6 LEDs in series. One in that string that has a problem will cause the rest to go out. Kind of like the Christmas lights where one light went out, they all go out. In this it's no more than 6.

I would be very surprised if your converter could put out enough voltage to kill the LEDs. Low voltage won't hurt them. If your converter was putting enough voltage to kill the LEDs other things would probably die too. The only exception would be is the coverter is putting out a lot of high voltage spikes, which isn't good. You can check this by measuring the output voltage with the converter running and the meter set to read AC NOT DC. If you read anything is should be very small.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:34 AM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
I like the idea of low power consumption on the LEDs, but dislike the blue-ish color, and Lynne is downright uncomfortable with it, particularly when reading. Is there a way to get a natural-feeling, incandescent-colored light from an LED array?

--Peter
Old 12-29-2006, 04:45 AM   #18

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
Hey Steve,
I started to kill some led's as well, and I kinda figured it was also due to the converter.
Hey Joe and Steve, on the Super Bright site they said that all thier bulbs had resistors built in but maybe they do not consider these multiple light configurations with the socket plug in, ordinary bulbs?
Thanks for the heads up and where the converter I am useing is an older model you got my attention and this may be a question I want to ask the company if I do buy some.
Gina D. seems happy with them wonder if she had seperate resistors installed?
Do you need a resitor for each and every light? Or just one on the light curcuit?

After reading the replies I am leaning on getting 5 of the 36 panels to replace the bulbs I know run.
Would like to hear more about the reisitor though.
Gerry
Old 12-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #19

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
my lights are the mr16 24 led type mounted in track lighting fixtures.
when on shore power I have seen as much as 18 volts on the output from the converter.
It is an older progressive dynamics, and does not have a battery charge circuit.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #20

Trailer: 1970 Boler
to make it simple...

I tried LED bulbs in my stock fixtures. They were just not bright enought to read under.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #21

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
to make it simple...

I tried LED bulbs in my stock fixtures. They were just not bright enought to read under.

Kurt, did you use just the single bulbs, single bulb in a 90 degree socket, or the 24 or 36 bulb boards?
I know the LED send out a directional beam so I was wondering what you used.

Gerry
Old 01-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 1970 Boler
no it was just the single bulb in the standard socket. I think it had about 3 or four lights in a cluster but that was the problem it was more of a direction type light in that it was difinitely brighter but not far enough away when one was reading.

I have LED lights as tail lights but have not changed the actual lights in the inside.

Tags
led lights, lighting, lights