LED lights in Original light sockets - tail lights - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #29

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Raya,

I didn't mean to imply that you are bad driver. No offence intended. I hear you on the differences on lighting and standards. Initially I found the 3rd brake light to initially be annoying, now I appreciate it because I can read what is happening 2 or more vehicles ahead.

I seem to recall someone posting here that they actually got a ticket for installling amber signal lights on before they came the norm. Give it a decade and most the vehicles on the road will be LED. Then the regular bulbers will be as annoying as those who don't turn their headlights (and tail lights) on in adverse conditions because you can't see them as well.

I gotta give a thumbs up to NY which has a "Wipers ON= Lights ON" law because that means the tail lights are on too. If one needs the wipers to see where they are going, then it helps to make sure that others can see you better from both directions as well.

I'd like to suggest that when you get a bright sunny day you check the tailights on you boler for visibility. In some lighting angles you will find that they are barely visible. Even more so from a distance considering the inverse square proportionality of light.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #30

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks, Roy,

I feel better about that now. I guess we won't have to duke it out the next time we're both at a meet-up

And I agree, if all the taillights on the road were LED, and of equal brightness, it woudn't be so bad.

Actually, it would be kind of neat if the LED lights could be brighter during the day, and then just a shade less bright at night.

I also agree with you about the "Wipers on; lights on" rule. I've seen that in a few other states as well, although I can't recall which ones right now. It amazes me how some people try to "get away with" not turning their lights on in borderline conditions. It's not as if there isn't an alternator on the car just working away at all times when you're driving

I will definitely check my Boler's lights before I hit the road. If they're as dim as people are saying, maybe it would be a good compromise to have the LED bulbs in the Boler, and then stick with conventional bulbs in my car. I guess I'll have to think about that.

I wonder if there is a practical way to put amber lights on the camper? I sure feel better knowing that I have amber lights on the back of my car (which of course can't really be seen when I'm towing).

Raya

Old 01-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #31

Ontario
Quote:
I feel better about that now. I guess we won't have to duke it out the next time we're both at a meet-up
I will definitely check my Boler's lights before I hit the road. If they're as dim as people are saying, maybe it would be a good compromise to have the LED bulbs in the Boler, and then stick with conventional bulbs in my car. I guess I'll have to think about that.
Intellligent discussions are possible, I'm usually non physical.

The wedding cake lenses allow too much ambient light in from the sides. I suppose if they were totally recessed they would be more visible to those following. Some have improved theirs by polishing up the reflectors behind the bulbs. Donna has pointed out some of the other deficiencies.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Intellligent discussions are possible, I'm usually non physical.
I was 100% joking. I'm totally the thinking/discussing nerd type, not the "take it out back" type. I guess I was trying to joke around and sound less geeky, but given how many people do feel the need to duke it out, it probably didn't have quite the effect I wanted. That's what I get for trying to be cool <--- at self.

Raya
(Who would love to attend one of the Canadian meet-ups)
Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #33

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Quote:
Raya
(Who would love to attend one of the Canadian meet-ups)
Raya
We have met a lot of real nice folk at these events. For us it's a five day trip to the meet in Sask and you're a whole lot closer. We hope to do that one again. The one here in Ont at Emily would be a three day trip each way for you plus a three day weekend and another day rest stop. That's a perfect ten day holiday. The North Shore of Lake Superior is fantastic.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #34

Ontario
Don't go scaring her off now James.

Google maps says it is 12 - 12.5 hours (barring borders) no matter which side of Lake Ontario she comes around to get to Emily. That is one day pushing it, and 2 days of vacation mode driving. 3 days or more is best reserved for the tourist sight seeing mode. The quicker she gets here the more time she has to increase her duty free limits so she can spend her American Dollars on this side of the border.

<not so subliminal political economic message follows>

BUY CANADIAN

(and not just the beer which the Americans already own)
Old 01-31-2009, 02:31 AM   #35

Well, thanks for making me feel welcome

I'm originally from northern Minnesota, so I would love to get back up that way. And do I ever miss Lake Superior!

I love to drive (heck, I picked up my Boler in Winnipeg ), so it will just be a matter of whether I have the elusive time/money combo. I wouldn't mind at all spending some money in Canada. It would sure be nice if gas stays as low as it is for the summer. My Boler could get a taste of home turf again

Raya
Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #36

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Roy, it's 7 hours from here to Sault St Marie and 10 more to Thunder Bay and another good days drive to the Manitoba border, and I tend to have a heavy foot. Just how fast does this guy Google drive?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #37

Ontario
Quote:
I tend to have a heavy foot. Just how fast does this guy Google drive?
James,
I'm usually a little faster than Google (light throttle return springs). I think we are talking about different trips. (PM sent to you)

Raya,
Please Google Map times from your location to Omemee, ON and report the time results.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #38

Ontario
Quote:
My Boler could get a taste of home turf again
I make a point of bringing my boler American back to the USA every year since I've had it. Ongoing preventive maintanence for separation anxiety.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #39

Quote:
I make a point of bringing my boler American back to the USA every year since I've had it. Ongoing preventive maintanence for separation anxiety.
Heh, we have "opposite" Bolers, what with you having an American one, and me a Canadian version.

Okay, I did the mileage checkaroo. Oh, but first let me say that I find I have a difficult-to-impossible time making Google's time predictions, usually. I haven't analyzed it, but my hunch is that I keep up with their estimates on the freeway, but that when they get to more rural highways, with towns and whatnot, that they keep up a somewhat "impossible" pace. I'm no stalagmite, but I generally drive the speed limit or somewhere between it and the next "line" on my speedo (which would be 5 mph more).

So, from here to Omenee. I checked both Google and Mapquest, and they both routed me through the Buffalo side of the lake, and both said about 13.5 hours.

Now, I happen to dislike that route, because from the mid-Atlantic to Buffalo is an annoying (for me) route, with some "dangerous" stretches on, IIRC, Hwy 15 (where it's two-lane, but fast, and they have signs every ten miles or so warning you of excessive DUI accidents and deaths). OTOH, I love the route up and around the east end of the lake, which has better roads on our side (although I can't exactly recall what the Canadian highway is like when backtracking west from there), so I checked that as well. Google said 14 hours and Mapquest said 15. Not sure why the discrepancy, although the Mapquest "drag to new route" does not seem to work quite as slickly, and it may have added some extra loopage just over the border that I didn't see.

In Real Life™, I would probably figure on about 17 hours for that trip, given that by the time you've driven that far you have to stop a few times for gas, checking the rig, "rest stop" breaks, and a sandwich or two.

I tend to like to leave in the evening and drive late, so for me it would be a "one evening and all the next day" proposition, most likely.

We'll see how the summer shapes up

Raya
Old 01-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #40

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Wow! This thread covers a lot of ground. I have found that on both our Subaru and VW that the speedo reads a tad low. We have radar displays of speed set up at various times and I find that about 47mph indicated yields 45 on the radar for both vehicles.

When we were setting up our wiring on the Trillium and the Subaru, we initially wanted the separate amber turn signals on the Trillium to match the Subaru, but the place that installed the wiring in the Subaru talked us out of it saying that the separate wiring was 'non standard' and that we would be able to tow more trailers with the single set-up. What is the consensus of this blog? Do you have amber turn signals on your trailer? Was this guy just trying to sell us a converter?

The wipers/lights combination I have heard of. What states have this reg? I have also heard of a disturbing trend among states that local law enforcement holds out-of-state rigs responsible to abide by their state laws even if they are different from the driver's home state. Opinions?

Also I thought that vehicles towing trailers were supposed to maintain a slower speed than vehicles without. Any states that have this law?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Quote:
<snip>When we were setting up our wiring on the Trillium and the Subaru, we initially wanted the separate amber turn signals on the Trillium to match the Subaru, but the place that installed the wiring in the Subaru talked us out of it saying that the separate wiring was 'non standard' and that we would be able to tow more trailers with the single set-up. What is the consensus of this blog? Do you have amber turn signals on your trailer? Was this guy just trying to sell us a converter?
The wipers/lights combination I have heard of. What states have this reg?<snip>

Also I thought that vehicles towing trailers were supposed to maintain a slower speed than vehicles without. Any states that have this law?
Your installer was speaking the truth. Most, probably almost all, small trailers do NOT have the separate turn (amber) brake (red) lights. That does not stop you from creating a turn signal circuit in addition to the standard wiring circuit. Then when you pull your trailer you can use the additional circuit. Of course that would mean that if your trailer was to be towed by a different vehicle the amber turn signals would not work.

Wipers/Lights? Some states that I know of include TX FL WV PA ME MD NC. Good idea to do it no matter what state you are in.

What speed to drive? Just check the road signs as you enter a state, and yes, many do have a lower limit for vehicles when towing. Would you believe 55 mph in CA – do it on a freeway and get dead quick!
Don
Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 PM   #42

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I gotta give a thumbs up to NY which has a [b]"Wipers ON= Lights ON" law because that means the tail lights are on too. If one needs the wipers to see where they are going, then it helps to make sure that others can see you better from both directions as well.
California recently passed that law as well. Unfortunately, it will take a LONG time for knowledge of it to trickle into the general consciousness. We have a ban on Hand-held cell phones AND text messaging while driving which is also being ignored.

What I really have to applaud New York (my home state) for is their annual multi-point vehicle inspection prior to registration, and basing license plate fees on vehicle weight, not price.

Tags
led lights, lighting, lights, tail lights