LED lights in Original light sockets - tail lights - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #71

Trailer: Surfside 14
I have been following this LED bulbs in original sockets thread with interest but my investigations come up with little price difference between the LED sealed light units and these LED bulbs, in fact most of the bulb types seem even more expensive. Has anyone found good LED bulbs for good prices? Somewhere in the $10 each range would be nice...

With thanks,

F

Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #72

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
If it were me, I'd change out the entire fixture like Greg A did, and not try to retrofit components into the old housings.
Low cost and ease of install were major factors in my previous recommendation.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #73

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Today I finally visited the wonderful world of Walt's Surplus RV in Fontana, CA, and purchased two Bargman-like double bulb dome lights for the interior of my Campster. They use #1141 bulbs, which can replaced by the 1156 LED type bulbs. However, I'm curious to know if I need to make any modifications to the housing or bulb receptacle. The light fixtures I purchased are simular to the ones on this website but have a white lens:

http://www.dyersonline.com/Products/Thin-L...ght__19198.aspx

My next question is whether you think replacing the 1141 bulbs with the bulb-style LED would be best for this type of fixture or if the 36 flat in warm white would generate more light and be easier on the eye?

Thanks for any and all input on the subject!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #74

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
. . . My next question is whether you think replacing the 1141 bulbs with the bulb-style LED would be best for this type of fixture or if the 36 flat in warm white would generate more light and be easier on the eye? . . .
I've tried both bulbs and the flat panels, and I'd definitely go with the flat panels. You loose a fair part of the light that bounces off the back reflector when you use a "bulb" shaped replacement. With the flat panels all the light is directed outward into your trailer.

I use the 48 LED "Warm White" flat panels from V-LEDS. (Make sure you order the "Warm White" version, not the blue light "HID" ones.) They pull 2 watts (1156 bulbs use 18 watts) and are as bright or brighter than a conventional bulb.

Name:   VLEDS_48_LED_warm_white_1_SMT_panel.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  5.8 KB

I taped mine in using fiberglass tape. This works well, but I don't think it'll last. I'll use double-sided foam tape next time.
Attached Thumbnails
VLEDS_48_LED_warm_white_SMT_panel_2.JPG  
Old 02-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #75

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Thanks Peter! Those lights look great! I hate to ask a stupid question but. . . do you just snap the plastic piece joining to two wires from the panel into the bulb base and insert the base as usual into the fixture? As you might have deduced by now, I'm not the least bit versed in electronic circuitry!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #76

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Peter! Those lights look great! I hate to ask a stupid question but. . . do you just snap the plastic piece joining to two wires from the panel into the bulb base and insert the base as usual into the fixture? As you might have deduced by now, I'm not the least bit versed in electronic circuitry!
Yup, that's exactly how they work. The panels ship with a bunch of adapters: you plug the one that fits into your light socket, then plug the LED panel into the adapter.

Tags
led lights, lighting, lights, tail lights