Led lights install - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
How hard were yours to get in vs. The old glass ones? With those it's just a tug and pull. And what would I shave it with? A box cutter xacto type knife?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
I would just use an emery board to file the plastic down a bit.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:31 AM   #22

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Dave,

After reading through all of the suggestions, yes indeed I was going to try a very fine sandpaper first so I am less likely to damage the lamp. An every board will be perfect! Then the other suggestion I'll try is squeezing end together a bit with pliers. But first, sanding!

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:02 AM   #23

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Hi Wendy, When I was replacing mine, the polarity was a problem on one fixture. From your pictures, showing that the "bulbs" are AC/DC, it is clear that fixture polarity does not matter. One less concern for you.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #24

New York
Registry
Oh good. That is great to hear Paul! Last post I typed emery board. I see it didn't come out that way. I'm sorry; darn spell check!

Old 05-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #25

New York
Registry
Success! I sanded the plastic edges of the base a little with an emery board then squeezed the ends together a few times with pliers. The lights went in perfectly! They are cooler in color than incandescent but I think I like them. Won't be able to tell for sure till I'm out in my element camping. But so far I likes and I owe all my success to you all who posted here to help me. Thank you so much for your generous help!

Old 05-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Yes the color / temperature /harshness of the light might be less than ideal, but you will love the fact that they hardly make a dent in your battery charge. Well done.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:28 AM   #27

New York
Registry
Thank you Gordon. You're a great cheering section! How long are these leds supposed to last? Should I order another set as backups? They were pricey, about 70 for all. To save $ I could bring along 1 bulb of the incandescent mini wedge and bayonet base in case of emergency while camping.

My favorite bulb is the Amber porch light! Oh yeah I did put a little dielectric grease on the end of that one to help a bit with corrosion resistance and easier removal.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:57 AM   #28

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
... How long are these leds supposed to last? Should I order another set as backups? ...

My favorite bulb is the Amber porch light! ..
Well I am 58 and I expect that LED bulbs will either outlive me, or at least the time that I own the Scamp before old age forces me to sell it. But they are so small and light a few back-ups are in my kit. They are more likely to be given to some poor bloke with incandescent bulbs that failed.

My fav is a 30 lumen bulb with amber light between the rear and side upper cabinets (you might not have this fixture). Its a perfect soft light for watching TV or unwinding with a little music before turning in.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #29

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
Led brake light advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
I don't agree.

Because LED turn/brake lights flash on and off faster then regular bulbs perhaps getting the attention of the driver behind you faster.

Joe
Joe, you are right on with the speed of LED bulbs coming on. This can be very important when traveling on the highway when those knuckleheads are right on your butt.

There is a lot more info out on the web about this. I just wanted to share this with our members since I have gotten a lot of good info on our website myself.

https://chemlinks.beloit.edu/BlueLig...p/an1155-3.pdf

I remember the first time I pulled my old teardrop to Florida and when I braked I could hear squealing and see in my outside mirror car tires smoking as a car came within a couple of feet of my trailer. Had new LED tail lights on my Lil Guy at the time.
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights, light, lights