Led lights install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Led lights install

Hi Friends,

I just received my led lights in the mail and wondered if I should just put them all in and turn on power or do one or two at a time to check for any electrical issues?

I only bought interior lights and Amber porch light. Did not get led outside marker or tail lights, etc. Bought from superleds at suggestion of a poster on forum here who also posted product numbers.

Thank you for your help very much.

Sincerely,
Wendy

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Friends,

I just received my led lights in the mail and wondered if I should just put them all in and turn on power or do one or two at a time to check for any electrical issues?

I only bought interior lights and Amber porch light. Did not get led outside marker or tail lights, etc. Bought from superleds at suggestion of a poster on forum here who also posted product numbers.

Thank you for your help very much.

Sincerely,
Wendy

Just go ahead and replace them all, If one doesn't work trouble shoot that.
The running lights, brakes lights, back up lights, turn lights, etc. are all powered from the tow. If they working fine I wouldn't replace them since there's no real advantage maybe some mythological advantage.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #3

New York
Registry
I agree!

Old 05-05-2016, 04:14 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I don't agree.

Because LED turn/brake lights flash on and off faster then regular bulbs perhaps getting the attention of the driver behind you faster.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:30 AM   #5

New York
Registry
LED Lights

Dear Joe,
I am aware of what you speak of as far as brightness being an advantage of LED exterior lights, and I'm sure the other poster is, too. We weren't referring to that though. We were inferring about current draw while camping, in cases where battery or solar power are all you have, and LED lights requiring less juice.
For me, this is nice insurance in case of power outage or when I otherwise might need to employ my battery as a power source.
I only posted this thread to inquire as to other's knowledge on how I might go about the install. As a few threads I've read here since becoming a member can get into heated discussions or arguments, I want it to be known that that wasn't my intent when I posted "I agree." I knew what I was agreeing to, and perhaps I should have been more clear, as my comment was in writing. I guess I just knew what I was agreeing to. I didn't want to create a 4 page discussion about why LED lights are better for exterior and why you should use them. I only wanted to ask a question as someone who is still learning about things, in order to obtain a reasonable answer.
Now that someone has provided me with a reasonable answer, I'll go ahead with my install, posting again if one or more of the lights don't work, hoping to receive diagnostic help. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Wendy
Old 05-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Q: How many Fiberglass trailer owners does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Five. One to actually change the bulb and four to discuss the relative merits of different bulb types

BTW, I hope it was not my bulb listing that you went by, because I have concluded that the LED replacements that I got for the reading lights are too bright. In fact the double light over my stove could be a little less bright also but it’s the reading lights that are now so bright that I don’t use them as a rule.

I surly don't want to start a discussion about the use of LEDs as (outside) running lights, but if you go that route and are not familiar with the term "CAN Bus" (or CAN Buss), then I suggest a read of the "What are CAN Bus Bulbs" section on this web page. This info applies mostly to putting LED bulbs in vehicles but the same issues can come up with their use in trailers. I use a converter and wiring harness for my trailer's running lights and that seems to be a way of avoiding the CAN bus issues.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #7

New York
Registry
Ha ha! It may have been your post Gordon but I can't remember. If you bought from superbright leds? I bought same bulbs. Any suggestions on a bulb to tone it down on the reading lights? I hope they accept returns!

Old 05-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Ha ha! It may have been your post Gordon but I can't remember. If you bought from superbright leds? I bought same bulbs. Any suggestions on a bulb to tone it down on the reading lights? I hope they accept returns!

Yes I used superbrightleds also.. and I'm sure they will do an exchange.. I'm just keeping mine as a back up since it fits the porch fixture also. I have not looked into a dimmer version but their web site has all the data you need to compare bulbs (which is one of the reasons I bought from them).

But you should try them.. you might be happy with the brightness.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
The tail light bulbs on my Scamp fell apart!
I replaced them with led's that are sealed in their enclosures, and VERY bright, just like on a school bus. That's a Very important feature for your future reference.
You didn't say what type of interior lights you have, but some can be regulated with a dimmer switch like this one: LED Dimmer Switch 12V [LED-DIMMER]
I've found that I don't need much light, most of the time, and I keep them dimmed down until I need more light. Mounting the switch inline is a fairly simple job, but check to see if your lights can be dimmed. I'm using led strip lights.
I hope this helps a little.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Just go ahead and replace them all, If one doesn't work trouble shoot that.
The running lights, brakes lights, back up lights, turn lights, etc. are all powered from the tow. If they working fine I wouldn't replace them since there's no real advantage maybe some mythological advantage.
The factory incandescent lamps are notorious for poor visibility, esp the tail/stop lamps after the lenses get coated with dust - on the inside.
The side markers would lose contact and not light. I have replaced all of them, And added high brake/turn strip LED lights on either side of the rear window.
wc
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
I agree!
I agree, too. Replace them one by one and turn them on to test. If one does not light, try another one. If that also does not light, the fixture has wrong polarity. It is easy to swap the wires. If the second replacement light bulb works, the first one may be bad, although the probability of that happening is low.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #12

New York
Registry
Well here I is. Porch light and reading lights are great! I can't get the mini wedge bulbs in though. My oem incandescent are all glass, but the new leds have a plastic base where they slide into light housing. I didn't want to force it as the old glass ones don't require that kind of a push. They're mini wedge replacements for 921. Is something wrong here? If someone wants to call me instead please pm me. I feel duh as usual!

Old 05-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #13

North Carolina
Do the bases look the same? (Post pics of the originals and replacements if you wish).
I did find that one or two of my 921 LEDs took quite a bit of force to insert, but it did work OK.
But I am not afraid to break things on my camper, since I can fix them too.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #14

New York
Registry
Gordon,

I went online to read reviews and most spoke of these 921 replacements being hellish tight to get in. One dude said he shaved the sides of the plastic on the wedgebase to get lamp to fit in. What was your experience? Don't wanna force it in and breaklamp housing

Old 05-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #15

New York
Registry
Here's a couple pics of the new bulb and package. They appear the same width as glass ones albeit must be thicker. Click image for larger version

Name:	1462489427179.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	94861

Attached Thumbnails
1462489445677.jpg   1462489472505.jpg  

Old 05-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Gordon,

I went online to read reviews and most spoke of these 921 replacements being hellish tight to get in. One dude said he shaved the sides of the plastic on the wedgebase to get lamp to fit in. What was your experience? Don't wanna force it in and breaklamp housing

I used the brute force method.. shaving it down sounds like a reasonable idea.
Try the most repairable fixture first.. few, if any, of the interior ones would be hard to replace. Most would be easy to replace for well under $20.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #17

New York
Registry
How hard were yours to get in vs. The old glass ones? With those it's just a tug and pull. And what would I shave it with? A box cutter xacto type knife?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
How hard were yours to get in vs. The old glass ones?
+ 47.82%

Quote:
And what would I shave it with? A box cutter xacto type knife?..
Sounds good.. or shave it with a (wait for it...) razor blade.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #19

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Most of the plastic fittings on the LEDs I installed were also very tight. I clipped a bit of plastic from the sides with wire cutters. Took pliers and squished the whole fitting a bit. Using a Dremel with stone or sandpaper works, too. Make sure you don't damage the two wire contacts and make sure they are back in their appropriate slot before trying to plug it in.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #20

New York
Registry
Thank you all so much. I will try these suggestions as soon as I get time to get back in the trailer and work. So grateful to you all!! Now I have a bit of confidence to try

Tags
led lights, light, lights