LED Me, Please! - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #1

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
LED Me, Please!

Hi all,

There are a TON of threads on here for LEDs so if this thread should be deleted or moved, please let me know. Basically, I want to know how to get started with replacing all of our lights with LEDs. We have a Scamp 1989, 16 footer.

I haven't done a lot of research but it seems like everything I've seen is a very small tip but there aren't any details. I'm assuming it's harder than just buying a bulb or two but is that correct? Is it different for the interior versus the exterior lights?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm totally and completely out of my element here.

As always, thanks!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I first went with a great deal off of eBay with 10 lights for something like $30. The bulbs spec'd out fine, but just did not give off adequate light for tasks or reading. They are fine for in the bath, and I used 3 in our range hood which now gives great light.

After seeing first had some my friend had from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS, I bought a few of them. They give off at least as much light as the original incandescent do. THESE are the ones I bought. Not sure whether yours use bayonet or wedge mount, but they are available in either. Not cheap at $15, but I sure wish I had of just bought these in the first place.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Hi all,

There are a TON of threads on here for LEDs so if this thread should be deleted or moved, please let me know. Basically, I want to know how to get started with replacing all of our lights with LEDs. We have a Scamp 1989, 16 footer.

I haven't done a lot of research but it seems like everything I've seen is a very small tip but there aren't any details. I'm assuming it's harder than just buying a bulb or two but is that correct? Is it different for the interior versus the exterior lights?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm totally and completely out of my element here.

As always, thanks!
This does not totally answer your question, but I just put in 7 LED reading lights and they give off a great deal of light. Two are above the kitchen counter and there is enough light there, that I do not need any more lights on. For $15 each they are definitely a good buy.
2x 12v warm white led bed side light reading wall bedside lamp | eBay
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #4

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
I bought ebay cheapies for $3 each as well. Mine give lots of light with a nice warm white colour to them. The installation was a pain in the neck though. If I had to do it again I would buy something like this:

http://www.prudentrver.com/ledlamps.html

These are inside bulbs. Exterior bulbs are cheaper and usually do not work that well indoors (low light output, poor colors). I have no experience changing over exterior lights to LED.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #5

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
LED lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
I bought ebay cheapies for $3 each as well. Mine give lots of light with a nice warm white colour to them. The installation was a pain in the neck though. If I had to do it again I would buy something like this:

http://www.prudentrver.com/ledlamps.html

These are inside bulbs. Exterior bulbs are cheaper and usually do not work that well indoors (low light output, poor colors). I have no experience changing over exterior lights to LED.
Some times it may be cheaper to buy a LED light fixture that purchasing the LED bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
LED 36 SMD double pancake light.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I've been using LED replacement lamps for some time. Early on I'd loose a few of the LED elements to burn-out. I think it was because when I was using the converter, which puts out over 13v during charging, it sometimes burned out the 12v LED element. Nowadays most lamps have electronic accomodations for a range of voltages and I haven't lost an element in years.

Secondly, I think there are two general categories. Lamps designed from the outset for LEDs and replacement bulbs for incandescent fixtures. The normal bulb is shining in all directions and the fixture has a reflector to redirect light going into the fixture out the front. I like the SuperBrightLEDs and have had good luck with these replacement bulbs: 1156 LED Bulb - Single Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower | BA15 Bayonet Base Bulbs | Boat/RV/Other LED Replacement Bulbs | Boat, RV, and Other Lighting | Super Bright LEDs They seek to emulate the all-around properties of the normal bulb which I think is useful when just swapping out bulbs.

In terms of purpose-built, I have put an LED license plate lamp on a refrigerator-type button switch for the under sink cabinets and I have a different type fixture waiting to be installed in the closet by the door in my Casita. I've considered the purpose-built fixture that FTTRV shows but I haven't acted on it yet.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
If you are looking for technical information on LEDs. I put some in this post.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
Thanks for all the tips. Jon, I'll definitely take a look at that link. I guess other than just replacing bulbs, if I want to buy a new fixture, as suggested by FTTRV, is it difficult to swap it out for the old. If it's a matter of just attaching wires, that's no problem but if I have to rewire, I don't know if that's in the cards yet. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #9

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Just switching out the bulbs for LED replacements is the easiest but wiring a new lamp fixture is not overly difficult. You do have to know the polarity (+ or -)of your wires. Mounting a different fixture could be more challenging in certain situations if the size of the fixture and its mountings are different.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #10

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium Outback - 2004
Alberta
Registry
I changed all my fixtures but I find trailer wiring to be quite easy. What was more time consuming was drilling out the rivets in the old fixtures and mounting the new ones as the old holes rarely lined up.

Not the most difficult project but probably one of the best things I've done. All of my lights on draw the same as one standard bulb. Since I only boondock that was a huge win.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Attached are 2 fixtures I purchased at Camping World.
The dual fixture was about $12.00 and the Single was about $8.00.
The cost of a 48 led panel light is $2.75 on ebay.
$5.50 for 2 48 LED panel lights and $12.00 for the fixture is $17.50 and you will get as much, and probably more, light from this fixture than any much more expensive LED fixture on the market.
If you want to change just the lamps in you Scamp you can order the 1156 36 LED panel lights from ebay for $10.46 for 2.
My son has the first 13" Scamp I solarized and replaced all the lamps with these Chinese LEDs about 6 years ago.
Not one has burned out.
Since then I have added solar to 4 trailers and used these lamps with no problems.
I just added solar to my slide in camper that I use to get into the more difficult places and am using the lamps and lights in the picture.

Why spend $24.95 for one bulb shape ED when you can spend about $5.00 and have a 36 LED panel light directing all 36 LEDS in the direction you want for $2.25?

Led lights are only expensive if you buy from an American source who most likely gets them from China.

John
Attached Thumbnails
led 002 (640x632).jpg  
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Why spend $24.95 for one bulb shape ED when you can spend about $5.00 and have a 36 LED panel light directing all 36 LEDS in the direction you want for $2.25?
John, maybe it is my age catching up on me, but I like lots of good light. Like mentioned before, I bought the $3 Chinese ones on recommendations from others, and they just did not shed enough light for me for task use, though are fine for general lighting. The ones I replaced these $3 ones with actually cost me $15 (see link above). I am all for saving money, but when I ended up with an inferior product in the first place, I actually had to buy twice, costing me even more.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #13

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
Hey guys, as an aside - one thing i've noticed with my lighting isn't the bulbs - it's the fixtures. 30+ years of heat from an incandescent bulb breaks down the fixture and socket.. and those sockets are pretty shoddy to begin with. If I were going to replace my lighting with LED lighting I would absolutely replace the fixtures as well..at very least I would replace the switch and install new sockets or something inside the fixture if I wanted to retain the retro look (which I would)

On my recent trip I replaced some of my marker lights with LED (time restrictions) and they work much much better than the original bulb based ones. They are better sealed, more suited to vibration.. I found myself having marker lights turn off due to the limp sockets they were in.

My brake/turn signals would cut out due to shoddy ground as well, I ended up wedging in a peice of wire behind the tacked on socket to get them to work correctly but i'm going to measure and find one of these:

4 in. Sealed LED Stop/Turn/Tail Light | Princess Auto

to drop in behind the red cover on the Boler to get a nice bright even light while retaining the factory look.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
John, maybe it is my age catching up on me, but I like lots of good light. Like mentioned before, I bought the $3 Chinese ones on recommendations from others, and they just did not shed enough light for me for task use, though are fine for general lighting. The ones I replaced these $3 ones with actually cost me $15 (see link above). I am all for saving money, but when I ended up with an inferior product in the first place, I actually had to buy twice, costing me even more.

I'm 71 and my old eyes need a lot of light for reading and other tasks.
I have never experienced to little light with the panel lights.
The first Scamp I solarized I used the expensive bulb shaped LEDs and found they did not put out enough light for my old eyes to read by.
That's when I tried the panel lights.
They were even brighter when I changed to fixtures with clear lenses.
I do use the double lamp fixture where I plan to read.
You can't beat 96 white LEDS for reading.

John