LED Replacement "Bulbs" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
LED Replacement "Bulbs"

Working on the things that happened on the trip and putting in some mods. Today saw the installation of LED's instead of incandescent bulbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED_ceiling.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	48930
(Click to Embiggen)

Instead of a 23W draw this one is around 4W. And, it's actually brighter than the bulb it replaced! Not bad for under $5. I got it on eBay:
LINK: "Warm White 48 LED 3528 SMD BA15S 1156 Car Dome Bulb Ceiling Light | eBay"
(This link will probably die about a month after this post, I'm guessing.)

What's nice is that the LED comes with an adapter that plugs right into the existing light socket. The LED comes with an adhesive back which is pretty lame, so I used a blob of epoxy to hold it in there. It runs a bit warm so I'm going to drill a couple of air inlets into the plastic case. This is the brightest of the LED's that I got. I put another one like this in the outside light, a smaller one over the sink, and a still smaller one back by the back bed. I'll probably wire in a couple of more fixtures. At the end of the day, ALL of these bulbs on at the same time pull less power than ONE of the old ones.

Oh... and I should point out that for the price of ONE LED replacement bulb at an RV center I replaced ALL of the bulbs with eBay sourced units. They all come from the same factory in China so I figured I might as well go to the source.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I added these to my UHaul lights. Good call on the foam tape - it releases once the device heats up.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Wow that is a good price, especially since it has the adapter.
Thanks.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
It runs a bit warm so I'm going to drill a couple of air inlets into the plastic case.
If the incandescent lamp didn't hurt the case, the more efficient LED shouldn't. The efficiency comes from less energy being converted to heat. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I replaced my incandescent lamps with these.

They're bit more costly but a direct replacement so no modifications needed.

This is where I bought them.
Attached Thumbnails
RV-1141-450-a.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Led Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

I bought the same lamps from the same place . Easy to install , good color
work well. You also get a discount if you mention your a member of this group
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #7

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
If the incandescent lamp didn't hurt the case, the more efficient LED shouldn't. The efficiency comes from less energy being converted to heat. Raz
Raz--- it's not the case I'm worried about, it's the LED itself. Note the previous comment about the foam tape.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #8

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

I thought about these... they're the type that Camping World and others sell as replacements (for a LOT of money!). One of the reasons I went with the flat panel was that all the light went DOWN. Bulbs like the one in your post are best suited to an application where the bulb is hanging down and is visible from all sides. In a "dome" light application where the bulb is parallel to the back of the fixture, which is what most RV lights are, you are losing some light from the top LEDs. If there's a decent reflector, that's not an issue. The flat LED panels avoid that entirely.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #9

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Gary, You may want to check out another post, currently active regarding protecting LEDs with voltage regulation.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eds-53155.html
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
I thought about these... they're the type that Camping World and others sell as replacements (for a LOT of money!). One of the reasons I went with the flat panel was that all the light went DOWN. Bulbs like the one in your post are best suited to an application where the bulb is hanging down and is visible from all sides. In a "dome" light application where the bulb is parallel to the back of the fixture, which is what most RV lights are, you are losing some light from the top LEDs. If there's a decent reflector, that's not an issue. The flat LED panels avoid that entirely.
I'm very aware of how the bulb is situated in the fixture, exactly the same as the incandescent. The same reflection from the back of the fixture as the incandescent, the same spread of light as the incandescent. The LED panel puts all the light directly to the front center of the fixture.

I put in two LED fixtures with flat panel LEDS on the bottom side of the overhead cabinet that's over the dinette. Very good light directly below the fixtures at the table, 6 to 8" away from the center, not so good.

I'm thinking about getting a couple more fixtures for the other end of the trailer, over the couch. Incandescent fixtures with direct replacement LED lamps are probably what I'll do.

As for the cost, to me the additional cost is worth it. My trailer is my home for almost half the year.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #11

Minnesota
Registry
Every application is different. As the great camper in the sky says "Your Mileage May Vary!" What works for you, well... "works".
Old 07-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Every application is different. As the great camper in the sky says "Your Mileage May Vary!" What works for you, well... "works".

True.
And the more you know about something the better decision you can make.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
Raz

Quote:
Raz--- it's not the case I'm worried about, it's the LED itself. Note the previous comment about the foam tape.
A well designed LED "bulb" shouldn't be that hot. The reason for using LED's is that they convert most of the electrical energy into light. Most likely the heat you are seeing comes from the current limiting resistors. The more I see of these inexpensive EBay LED's, the less of a bargain I think they are. Still, they are an improvement over the incandescents they replace.

I too went with flat replacements. I have found the light cover does a good job of diffusing the light. Take care, Raz
Old 07-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #14

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
A well designed LED "bulb" shouldn't be that hot. The reason for using LED's is that they convert most of the electrical energy into light. Most likely the heat you are seeing comes from the current limiting resistors. The more I see of these inexpensive EBay LED's, the less of a bargain I think they are. Still, they are an improvement over the incandescents they replace.

I too went with flat replacements. I have found the light cover does a good job of diffusing the light. Take care, Raz
I suppose it's a case of "you get what you pay for". And, as an engineer, that heat really annoys me. If the energy going in isn't coming out as light, then it's not right. Oh well... I'll still take 4W v 23W. I'll just swap 'em out when they improve the lamps.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I suppose it's a case of "you get what you pay for". And, as an engineer, that heat really annoys me. If the energy going in isn't coming out as light, then it's not right. Oh well... I'll still take 4W v 23W. I'll just swap 'em out when they improve the lamps.
As a fellow engineer, I share this: Better is the enemy of good".
Old 07-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #16

Minnesota
Registry
Speaking of GOOD lamps. Here's a sale sight from the place where I bought the lamps for my kitchen:

Special Offers On LEDs | LED Lights & Lighting On Sale - ElementalLED.com

Check out THIS unit:

High Power LED Light Bar - Under Cabinet LED Lighting - ElementalLED.com

That's one heck of a price for a VERY good piece of hardware.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
Raz

Personally, I think we need fewer engineers and more poets on this site.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #18

Minnesota
Registry
I've Got a Light,
And it's LED,
it shines As Bright,
But sips Energy!

(he ducks...waiting for the tomatoes...)