LED tail lights for Trilliums on sale in June 2012 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
LED tail lights for Trilliums on sale in June 2012

I bought these tail lights thinking I would swap them out for a second set of lights the previous owner had installed. Unfortunately I bought them elswhere the week before the sale. They are currently 1/2 price at Princess Auto.
Submersible LED Trailer Light Kit | Princess Auto

Then I saw Randy Bishop had used the same lights, dismantled them and installed them right into the original Trillium Fixtures.

Link to: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post270659

This is what it looks like using Randy's picture

Getting waterproof LED's for both tail lights and the license plate along with new wires for $40 is one heck of a deal. Thanks for the idea Randy. I'll be installing mine this weekend.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Very nice...what a great idea. The tail lights on my 4500 always filled up with water every time it rained then, the bulbs would blow out. I wish I had seen this modification before changing my tail lights to LEDs. I installed a set of Bargmans like the new trailers being built now. They do look nice and they are very bright. The toughest part was wiring it up through the rear compartments. That was a killer.
Joe Loiacono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Loiacono View Post
The toughest part was wiring it up through the rear compartments. That was a killer.
Thanks for the heads up Joe, I'm doing mine this weekend. I have not quite figured out how I will attach the 2 screws on the left side of the picture above. I've got some ideas though. Once I do, I will post pictures.
The screw on the right hand side of the one shown should go right into a pilot hole drilled into the original backing.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #4

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Thanks for the heads up Joe, I'm doing mine this weekend. I have not quite figured out how I will attach the 2 screws on the left side of the picture above. I've got some ideas though. Once I do, I will post pictures.
The screw on the right hand side of the one shown should go right into a pilot hole drilled into the original backing.

I drilled holes through the fixture and pop riveted it in from the back, also where the fixture was held off the back plate due to the plactic ribs I used stainless steel waskers to level it out before I pop riveted, I also used a 3/16 stainless steel washer on the back end off the rivet.....By pop riveting it from the back it left everything smooth on the back side...I to had problems with water getting inside the lenses before and rusting up all the bulb connections, due to the rust sometimes the lights worked but most sometimes they didn't without taking them apart and cleaning them every so often really drove me CRAZY but not anymore
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I used 6-32 counter sunk screws from the back. I also used washers to fill in the gap.

Randy, is the above picture from your install? The metal part is the reverse of how I installed the lights on my trailer. I used the left light with the licence plate to determine which way to install it. The lens has a protrusion that fills in the gap created by the metal part. For the licence plate LED's to face down, and the signal lights to be on the outside, the metal part had to point to the middle of the trailer. I have not yet put the modified tail lights on the trailer. Am I missing something?

These lights were quite a deal at $40. I wish I had bought three sets instead of only two. Maybe I will see if the other Princes Auto in Calgary has more.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
For the licence plate LED's to face down, and the signal lights to be on the outside, the metal part had to point to the middle of the trailer.
That is how I installed mine David, kept the metal part to the inside. I drilled out one rivet in the metal and used one of the screws from the LED lens to attach the single inner screw mount through that. (The right side of the LED in Randy's Picture) I then drilled a hole through the back for a second screw to come from behind into a pilot hole I drilled into the outer back portion of the LED. (Left on Randy's picture.)

Here is a photo of one LED on the streetside and the old bulb curbside.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2137.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	48065

A photo of both LED's installed. Both photo's were taken in daylight.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	48064

And you are right Joe about the toughest part being wiring them up under the benches. That was a killer.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:

Randy, is the above picture from your install? The metal part is the reverse of how I installed the lights on my trailer. I used the left light with the licence plate to determine which way to install it. The lens has a protrusion that fills in the gap created by the metal part.
That picture was taken just to show how I was redoing the fixture so I would have LED tail lights and I corrected the mistake before I popriveted it all together..Harbor Freight has the same LED Tail lights right now for $39.95 and it is a complete kit with 2 tail lights and around 20' of wire..I bought 4 sets going to change out all of mine sooner or later..Got to finish my father and son project first...
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #8

Thank you for the idea Randy. We spent about 14 hrs towing last week on the highways and I seemed to get a better response to my signals.

Yes they look like the same LED lights.
One Pair Submersible Trailer LED Lights
Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #9

Alberta
Registry
That looks to be exactly the same as the ones at Princess Auto, including the wire. I got three for my three trailers. I probably should have picked up more, since I am not finished buying trailers yet.

Thanks for the picture Roy. I have not yet put mine on the trailer yet. I wondered how they looked. I'd like to see the signal light as well, since they have a seperate set of 6 LED's for that.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
I probably should have picked up more, since I am not finished buying trailers yet.

Thanks for the picture Roy. ... I'd like to see the signal light as well, since they have a seperate set of 6 LED's for that.
I imagine that if both Harbour Freight and Princess Auto have them on sale, they will go on sale 2X a year like the 7" round for the bolers.

You are welcome Dave. The lower picture has the brakes on, so that will be the same brightness as the signal and 4 ways. It is easier to take a picture that way. The upper picture is just with the lights on.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #11

I have to give credit when credit is due. I just discovered peterh put us onto these lights 2 years ago. There are more pictures of initial installs and brightness here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post201928
Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Got mine done today. WOW...what a difference in light output!
BTW, my rib cage is still sore from getting in to the back wall via the storage bins!
Thanks Roy & Randy.
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #13

Heads up on these lights going on sale again from July 24 - Aug 5 2012.

Plus the 4" round 31 diode tail light is on sale for those doing the wedding cake mod on bolers.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Heads up on these lights going on sale again from July 24 - Aug 5 2012.

Plus the 4" round 31 diode tail light is on sale for those doing the wedding cake mod on bolers.
Are the 4" lights the type inside a rubber grummit....Are they on sale at Harbor Freight....I need 2 sets for my 2 U-hauls....
Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #15

Yes Randy, the 4". Dont know about Harbor Freight.
See page 13 of the flyer here:
Princess Auto Weekly Flyer - RedFlagDeals.com

Product description here:
4 in. LED Stop/Turn/Tail Light | Princess Auto
Sale price is $14.99 on the 4" round.
$39.99 for the ones that fit the trillium (page one of flyer)

As offside, Walmart up here has the 3 pack of green propanes on sale for $9.00, sure beats $4.38 each.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #16

The LED's that fit the Trillium lenses are on sale again at Princess auto for $39.99 July 23-28, 2013. Same time as last year. 8V Submersible LED Trailer Light Kit | Princess Auto
Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Out of curiosity, why not just mount the new LED lights as is without retrofitting them to the old light cases?
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
Out of curiosity, why not just mount the new LED lights as is without retrofitting them to the old light cases?
Some of us want to keep the look original but have LED lights..The new fixtures are really smaller than the original one also.....
Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
I way prefer the old Bargman tail lights. It is one of the things that I look at when valuing a used Trillium.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #20

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
Unhappy trillium tail light making me crazy

Roy, just saw your message re leds from last year. As you now know we had the dealer replace with leds, and while they work perfectly for brake and turn we cannot get them to come on with the headlights. Dealer tested them seven ways from saturday. The new led side lights are fine but the tail lights wont work with our vehicle... we are off tonight to see if hitch city can solve the problem.
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights