Leocraft Update - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Name: Dennis & Linda
Trailer: Leocraft 17ft fiberglass rv by Monarch Industries
Ontario
Registry
Leocraft Update

Hi everyone! Linda & I wanted to share our latest update to our Leocraft we call Stubby with you. We replied to a post regarding air conditioning by Frederick Simpson. We tried to attach some pics but were unable to figure it out. Frederick replied back with some advice so we will try here again. Let me again just briefly explain what we did. We decided to put in a 5000 BTU window model in our Clothes closet at the top so the cabin would cool off faster by pulling out the hot air at the ceiling. I cut the top of the closet off, put a shelf on top and shortened the door. The electrical was pulled up from under the closet floor were the converter is located. I put in a refrigerator vent on the roof above the ac unit to draw in fresh air to avoid the ac unit overheating. The sidewall vent for the back of the ac was purchased from a stick built trailer manufacturer that uses the same built in cupboard design from which we originally got the idea. We are very pleased with the finished product not only because of the finished look but because of how well it works. Using this setup it takes 5-10 minutes to cool the cabin down. Will try to attach pics again.
Attached Thumbnails
Algonquin 2013 067.jpg   Algonquin 2013 057.jpg  

Algonquin 2013 058.jpg   Algonquin 2013 061.jpg  

Dennis Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

Ontario
Registry
Leocraft update

Forgot to mention that we still have some finishing touches to do inside such as staining the oak table leg, corner molding on edges and door refinishing. That is for 2014 when we uncover Stubby. We want to have all the renos done in the next two years when we plan to retire and do a lot more travelling. Wish us luck! Dennis & Linda

P.S. A big thankyou to Frederick for his help with the pics! IT WORKED!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Good luck on your renos and coming retirement.
A whole new life ahead.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Nice! I have always contemplated opening up the space, seems like a lot of dead air and would open the cabin up even more. I have too much "stuff" stored in there tho.

Did you cut the bottom of the closet door to reduce the size. (It opens opposite of the way mine does BTW, Weird.)

I also am going to continue to insist that you send me your completed bathroom and rock guard...I have been waiting... :-)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Leocraft Update

Gina,nice to hear from you.Thanks for the complement. As I mentioned,we still have some finishing touches to do. We decided to go this route rather than a roof mounted one for a couple of reasons. As you must know by now, the roof only has 2x2 supports so we didn,t want much weight up there. Plus it saved me having to relocate the fantastic fan which was prewired at the vent. It also reduces wind drag. Another factor was the price tag, $ 100 vs $1400. I did the cabinetry work but had an electrician do the electrical ( over my head ). As you indicated, cutting the top of the closet off opens the cabin up even more. We use the shelf for a small lamp at night and it comes in handy for putting watches & glasses 0n before bedtime. Linda loves it.
I had the door cut off at the top. The line is almost invisible. But because of the scuff marks on the door,we will refinish the door face eventually. About the door swing, I deliberately changed the way the door opens as it made more sense to have it open towards the kitchen rather than needing 180 degree swing to get inside. I did the same to the door under the sink. It just makes easier access to both. By the way talking about cupboards we found a solution to the awkward way of opening the upper cabinets. I installed spring loaded piston style hinges. I noticed that Escape trailers have the same system,at least the one online had it. They,re worth their weight in gold. Ask the wife lol.
Sorry the washroom is the last thing Linda would give up lol. Not sure What you mean by the rock guard. I see from your pics that you have the same one we do over the front window. By the way I installed new 1 in mini blinds in off white. What a difference that made in the brightness in the cabin.I also put a small one on the washroom window as well as a matching valance too. Next year we will take more pics for you to see. Right now Stubby is wrapped up for our northern winter. Can,t wait to unwrap. Thanks again for the response to our post. So good to hear from you. Keep in touch..Good luck with the rest of your renos too. Please post or send pics. Dennis
Old 11-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Dennis, my rockguard story is here : http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ken-51113.html
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Heart Broken

Gina, I replied to your last post via the email I got from fgrv. Not sure where it went so I will respond here too. Sorry but we did not know that you had a mishap with your Leocraft. We,re thankful that no one was hurt. The awning can be replaced. We will keep our eyes open here in Southern Ontario for a replacement for you. What have you come up with since? Can you send us a pic? All the best! Dennis & Linda