Let the fun begin! 74 boler rebuild - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-08-2015, 12:11 AM   #15
Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - The Haunted Mansion
We used POR15 on our frame. It was really easy. The trick is, when they say don't get it on yourself, they mean it. It wears like iron! Thank goodness for Tyvex suits!

Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #16
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Since we are replacing our leading arm axle with a trailing arm axle, I didn't feel it was safe to do welding on the frame while still attached to the shell. So, I attempted to remove the screws holding the shell to the frame and most were rusted beyond removal so I ended up pulling the plywood flooring with the screws still attached to the frame. Since I had the trailer lifted to get under it, I blocked the shell and lowered the frame. Then set the rear of the trailer on sawhorses then the front and pulled the frame out. That sounds easy but it wasn't since it was just me.

We lucked out with no frame damage and only surface rust on a 1976 13' Scamp!

I am removing surface rust and plan to use POR15. The front and rear plywood floors are O.K. but not great, so I am going to put resin coated plywood under the old floor and then fiberglass around the perimeter of the shell to seal. I am also going to have angle tabs welded to the frame and attach the frame and shell together with stainless bolts.

Good thing I have a friend who is a metal fabricator with a welder and full shop!

bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
Name: Joey
Trailer: 74 boler 13'
soooo been a long time since being on here and nope... work has not really happened on the boler sadly... the frame i should have back soon, ( yes i paid someone to do it for me, work has taken all the time from me)

i will be needing help on how to install the shell back onto the frame. steps as in should i place the flooring in first? and the shell on it, or build the floor inside the shell ect, this ive looked briefly but have not had much luck in researching on how to do this,

Jdunbar is offline   Reply With Quote