Since we are replacing our leading arm axle
with a trailing arm axle
, I didn't feel it was safe to do welding on the frame while still attached to the shell. So, I attempted to remove the screws holding the shell to the frame and most were rusted beyond removal so I ended up pulling the plywood flooring with the screws still attached to the frame. Since I had the trailer lifted to get under it, I blocked the shell and lowered the frame. Then set the rear of the trailer on sawhorses then the front and pulled the frame out. That sounds easy but it wasn't since it was just me.
We lucked out with no frame damage and only surface rust on a 1976 13' Scamp!
I am removing surface rust and plan to use POR15. The front and rear plywood floors are O.K. but not great, so I am going to put resin coated plywood under the old floor and then fiberglass around the perimeter of the shell to seal. I am also going to have angle tabs welded to the frame and attach the frame and shell together with stainless bolts.
Good thing I have a friend who is a metal fabricator with a welder and full shop!