Life Caulk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14' Burro WB
Illinois
Life Caulk

Has anyone ever used Life Caulk to reinstall windows and doors?

I picked up my Burro from the fiberglass shop a couple weeks ago. I told him my next step is to pull out all the windows and reseal them because I was sure they were in with putty and not butyl. He told me to use life caulk instead of butyl tape. It remains flexible and seals better. However, I am pretty nervous about using it. It gets mixed reviews but, most of the ones complaining were complaining because it didn't work because they had not done the proper prep and they thought it should still have worked.

I would like opinions from others working on FG trailers.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Life caulk done properly will work great until the next time you want to take it apart. While it remains flexable it is solid and unreleasing. At least with Butyl you can heat it up and push the gooey mess apart.
Remember that the Life caulk you will have to clean off the mold release from the fiberglass under the seal flange for it to stick to the fiberglass and seal. It is used on boats under the water line it seals so good when properly done.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I've used Life Caulk on boats but I would never use it to seal a window. If you ever have to remove the window again you would probably destroy the window frame or the fiberglass on your trailer.

I would use butyl tape.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Someone at one of our meets used it on a rear window once but they broke a window and had to remove the frame to get it fixed. As I understand it that wasnt an easy thing to do and they indicated they would not be using it again as a result and would stick with butyl tape.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetalkington View Post
......and seals better.
How can something seal "better" than 100%? Butyl, if using the right kind, and applied correctly will last years.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14' Burro WB
Illinois
Thanks. Life caulk is great stuff that will last for years but the point being made is the right one. Life caulk's great strength is it's downside for us. It is hard to get it to release if you ever want to remove an item.

Plus in my research I stumbled into this article. It has a great description on how to use butyl tape and on the different types of butyl tape.

After getting my Burro into the garage I got a chance to inspect it and found water inside. It was raining the day I picked it up from the fiberglass shop. I traced it back to the two side windows and the front window. So, my hunch about the windows leaking has been confirmed.

When I removed the vent, to get it in the garage, I found it install with putty and silicon sealed around the edges.

So, I am ordering some butyl and pulling all my windows.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetalkington View Post
When I removed the vent, to get it in the garage, I found it install with putty and silicon sealed around the edges.

So, I am ordering some butyl and pulling all my windows.
Smart, very smart Jim. Get the butyl that sticky! I mean the kind that sticks to everything it touches including your fingers... like soft bubble gum. Some is more like old plumbers putty, you want the shiny stuff. You'll know when you get the right stuff when you stretch it out and it gets thinner and thinner without breaking. I usually buy what I need at Camping World because they sell so much of the stuff it's fresh. Even at full price it's less than $10 for about 25 feet.

And for heavens sake never use silicone on the exterior!!!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Thank you Jim for the article in the link. I ordered 2 rolls of the butyl tape from the linked marine supplier, and should have it in about 4 days. The rear window and vents are coming out to be done properly.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #9

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
I get my butyl at the auto parts. Comes in rolls of different sizes. Its used for putting in windshields.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote