Like Magic! More Space! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Conrad,

We have not given up wheat totally but have dramatically reduced it, neither of us is allergic to it. Not eating wheat can quickly result in weight loss.

We still have a piece of whole wheat toast with breakfast. The one exception is Newfoundland where the bread is so go we cave in.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
We love our microwave, It is built-in, but a mod to the bathroom gave us more useful space behind it, plus a usable cabinet for toiletries, linens etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  

Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #17

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Conrad,

We still have a piece of whole wheat toast with breakfast. The one exception is Newfoundland where the bread is so go we cave in.
Norm is that good or goey
Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #18

Name: Vinny
Trailer: Escape 19 on order
New Jersey
I don't understand microwaves. It's a fad that never left. Besides nuking a cup of cold coffee or melting some butter I find them useless.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #19

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
I don't understand microwaves. It's a fad that never left. Besides nuking a cup of cold coffee or melting some butter I find them useless.
Well, all I can tell you is that they can be used to cook every kind of thing. You can steam food, no grease. All kinds of vegetables, pasta, and you-name-it can be cooked in a microwave. I have seen where bread can even be baked in them but have not done that.

With silicone steamers, clean-up is next to nothing. I could say this depends on what you eat but if you want grease, you can still make a greasy mess with a greasy meal in a microwave.

By the way, we were some of the last people to get a microwave. Thought it was good for nothing, I guess. Found out otherwise. We would get rid of the stove before the microwave. We may cook on a stove outside. Just goes to show that one person's camping and eating is not another's.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #20

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
We wouldn't be without our microwave, but we never boondock. We use it all the time. It fits into the closet, so no, we can't put clothes there, but we carry them in the van.

CindyL
Old 09-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Michigan
I would like to build a small cabinet shaped like one quarter of a pie, to house a small microwave. It would fit on the front couch in the unusable corner next to the kitchen. Besides holding a microwave in the bottom, the top would provide a countertop extension for our kitchen. I want to make it removable for boon docking trips, or when we might use the extra bunk. The rounded back of the cabinet would extend to the seat base next to the wall, so it wouldn't rest on the cushion.

I found this microwave that looks like it would be a good fit for what I have in mind. Has anyone done this before?

Amazon.com: Whirlpool WMC20005YW 0.5 Cu. Ft. White Countertop Microwave: Appliances

Tom
Old 09-19-2014, 06:48 AM   #22

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
It's odd but I use my microwave a lot at home, but never in the boler so we have opted to leave it out. Occassionally I will take my little toaster oven if I know I am having something like pizza! and we are not travelling. Cakes and pies I cook right on the stove, on a rack in my big frying pan that has a nice domed lid.
We like the freedom to boondock any time if we are travelling and if we pull in late, we have sometimes been stuck with a space in the campground's parking lot, or ball field. We've never been turned away if we are willing to forgo services.
Our favourite Provincial Park Campground here in Ontario is Kiosk (North west corner of Algonquin) and they have no serviced sites. This small campground is a little piece of heaven that I hope never to have to forgo.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
I did use the corner of the couch in our Scamp 16 where no one can sit because of the bathroom.

I built a cabinet above the couch for mainly clothes storage. Ours is 27 inches deep and goes from bathroom to front wall. It does allow people to still ly down on the couch but eliminates the bunk function. Our cabinet is cantilevered off the bathroom wall.

Check post 60 in the following link.

Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #24

Name: Tom
Michigan
Norm you are the true master of time and space! Well space, anyway. The cabinet I have in mind would look like the bottom half of the one you built. We need counter space more than anything else with the big bed / short kitchen model we chose. Good job, by the way.

Tom
Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #25

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
The campsite where my Burro™ does most of its duty is technically "off the grid" as far as AC current is concerned. I'm close enough to the rest rooms that I can run a 100' orange ID/OD drop cord and charge my battery, but during big events even that is discouraged. My all around cooking solution is a Camp Chef™ two burner stove with oven powered by propane and sitting on a half wire grid, half plastic table outside the door. Unless the weather is nasty (and my camping is mostly curtailed anyway) this frees up more space inside. This is a bonus anyway with my little 13 footer that is so small sometimes I have to step outside just to change my mind!

I guess we all have our own needs and ways of dealing with them, and other folks may suggest ideas that will work for us... but the bottom line is, it's gotta work for you!

"Microwave? I don' need not steenkin' microwave!" (At least not while I'm camping!)

Froggie (off the grid today and chillin')
Old 09-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
So glad I saw this thread. My microwave will be going out the door and instead will be a toaster or toaster/convection oven. I think it will be much more functional than the microwave and I love toast with my fried eggs. Wish I had thought of it.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #27

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Toast is always is nice. It is one thing I miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #28

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
If you want toast, get one of these to use on your stovetop:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are some compact microwaves out there - I got one of these last year and it works great. Has a handle on it for easy moving around:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote