Like Magic! More Space! - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Like Magic! More Space!

After months of debate in which I never used it once, since it required upgraded wiring and a bigger inverter, I sacrificed my microwave to the god of "More Space". I moved my pots and pans in there today. I'd already popped out a blank in the cabinet to reveal a smaller area. Now I just need to fabricate two temporary doors while I beg my cabinet maker friend to make matching doors.

It did more! It made more space in other cabinets under the sink and over the dinette. I am a happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I don't have my microwave permanently mounted but I always carry it with me in one of the dinette storage compartments. I don't know why though, I've yet to use it after many long trips. I probably wouldn't miss it if it was gone. You probably made the right move.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
In six years, I've used the microwave only a few times, mostly to make sure it still worked. Wish I had the cabinet space. Good idea.
Sherry
Old 09-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #4

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I took mine out, too, not quite sure yet how I'm going to use the space but right now it has a container in it and my two-burner Coleman stove, too.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #5

Connecticut
The other interesting thing I did was to buy eBag organizers. I use these to sort clothes. I need to find more containers to separate my overhead cabinets better. I plan to head to Florida for a few months in January, so I'd like to get the finishing touches on my camper soon before it gets cold.

In any event I am feeling remorse about pulling the microwave although I can't understand why. I use my oven often, and I have a teapot for warming water. I get more use out of a pressure cooker/steamer. The one I have is a bit big but I now have room for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-16-2014, 01:51 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Well Conrad if you're not using it then removing it makes great sence. I could use the extra space also but if I pulled the micro I'd be in trouble as I only BBQ and nuke things. Don't think in 30 years I've used the stove more than a dozen times and an oven once in all the RV's I've had total. Talk about being on different ends of the fence .
Old 09-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Small trailers provide a truly limited volume.

In our view a microwave is a redundant item that takes up valuable space. There is nothing that a microwave does that can not be done in another way. It's primary addition is convenience.

Our goal is organized storage space. Boiling water for tea, heating leftovers, even cooking meals does not justify it's existence as well it has no value in an un-powered environment.

We have two small microwaves in our cellar from former trailers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I like the small microwave that I built into mostly formerly dead space in the lower cabinet. With a young child (11) the micro is nice for her to pop something in to fix her own meal or snack and not bother me. I am on vacation too you know. If you are not using it than just use it for storage, maybe your tea pot will fit? Yes, if all you do is boondock the microwave (and your A/C, are you removing that too?) will not be much help. But I suspect that most of us plug in now and again.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
No microwave in our Snoozy. The only thing I use the one home for is popcorn anyway so no big loss. I can still make popcorn in a sauce pan on the induction burner or butane hot plate I I absolutely must have it.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Old 09-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #10

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
No current bush, no need for 120 volt devices. I just can seem to feel the need to pay an extra $20.00+ per night for electricity.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
When I had a camper with a microwave I never used it for anything but heating a mug of coffee back up.

Now I just put the coffee in my thermos or insulated travel mug which I use while on the road. From my perspective storage for cooking gear you use is an improvement.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #12

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
The microwave is great to have but I don't think I was using it enough to justify the weight or the space and I like having the storage space. If I camped more in winter I might want it, though, so I haven't gotten rid of it, just storing it for now.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #13

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
I switched my microwave for a lighter/smaller Toaster oven. Way more versatile and it makes great kid snacks like pizza, chicken nuggets, cookies etc. All the things they seem to suddenly want at 10:00 at night lol. Of course I use it for morning biscuits, cinnamon rolls etc too
Old 09-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #14

Connecticut
I would not mind a toaster, although I've seen wire frames that work on a stove top. In any event, I need to give up bread completely.