LiL Hauley build out - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 04:48 AM   #61

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Mike, I had to space the windows out using wood. I made an inner spacer out of poplar and the outer piece is cherry. The cherry has is about 1/2 inch larger around the outside and trims out the wall covering nicely. The wall covering is counter top laminate glued to 1/4 inch plywood. In retrospect I should have called the supplier when I ordered the windows because they have trim rings for different thicknesses.

I used a saber saw with a diamond blade to cut the fiberglass. You can get them at home depot. They are used to cut tile. I also used a tile rasp for fine tuning. I also used the saber saw with a hacksaw blade for some cuts. Both seemed to work ok. A little less chipping with the diamond blade. One problem with the saber saw is holding it straight on the horizontal cuts. That is why I had to fine tune some of them. I also ran two vacuum cleaners, one on the inside and one on the outside to collect the dust.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #62

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Ok, thanks. I find circular saws easier to control, so when the time comes I am thinking of using that on the straight cuts, and the jigsaw just around the radius corners. If I ever get brave enough to cut a hole in the wall of my Hauley......
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #63

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If I ever get brave enough to cut a hole in the wall of my Hauley......
Ain't nothing but a thing Mike....it's the first cut that's scary
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #64

Syracuse, NY
Mike, I think factories use a 4 inch grinder with a diamond cutoff wheel. Be advised this method is fast but also makes a lot of dust. I made the cuts to the fiberglass that holds up the grey tank with my 4 inch grinder with a run of the mill cut off wheel, and I did it outside.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #65

Syracuse, NY
Maiden Voyage

We just returned from our shake down cruise thru the Tennessee - Carolina area. Everything worked ok, except for 2 leaky windows (factory issue not mine) and I only drug the trailer tongue jack two times on some rough terrain. We have identified a couple things we need to add/change how we use the space. We spent most of the nights in state and county parks and a few nights on federal land. The TF130 worked like a champ except when we left the door open once, it doesn't work well as an air conditioner. We averaged about 14.5 MPG. Time for some yard work and camper mods and get ready for the next trip.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0384.jpg   along the Mississippi.JPG  

Old 05-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #66

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Carl, what are the mods that you have in mind?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #67

Syracuse, NY
We don't really like the water pump. I have been looking at centrifugal type pumps and found like the looks of the Toyota Prius inverter cooler pump. It seems to have high volume and low current draw. I am going to see if I can get one from a junk yard to try it.

There are things we use regularly, like coffee, cereal, etc. and storing them away every time we move is a pain, so we are going to build a multi-shelf storage to sit on the left side of the kitchen countertop by the arch.

The bins we have a too large. We are going to replace them with smaller ones.

Add mud flaps to the trailer.

Swap out the existing screens with smaller mesh.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #68

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
A low volume pump will let you conserve water and need less frequent tank refills. Just a thought.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:32 AM   #69

Syracuse, NY
Lil Hauley weigh

I stopped at a Loves and weighed the trailer on the way home. Total weight is 2980 pounds and tongue weight is 285 pounds. It towed great, I was able to drive in D most of the time, down shifting on steeper hills.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #70

Syracuse, NY
We just returned from a couple days in the Adirondack mountains, thru Old Forge, Saranac Lake, Lake Placid, Whiteface mountain, south then rt 8 home. Found we have to better secure the items in my shelf unit AND the handle on the fancy faucet we installed vibrated down and drained itself on the counter and floor. I'm glad we remembered to turn the pump off! It won't do that again because I just finished installing a different one! Certainly a concept that one needs to consider in mobile designs is that gravity comes from all different directions at different times. It might look nice in the driveway, but when the wheels are going around, its a totally different story.

The Adirondacks are a beautiful area, but, if visiting in the spring, early summer make sure you have good black fly, mosquito and no-see-um protection.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #71

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Carl
Where are you from
I grew up in Deposit NY
Right off route 8 and route 17... we used to camp every summer at Browns tract on Adirondack mtns
Great memories... sounds like a nice trip
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:24 AM   #72

Syracuse, NY
Alan, We have lived in Pompey for 18 years. We boondocked one night in moose river plains. Did you ever go to Ferds Bog? It is an interesting wildlife area.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #73

I went to college at SUNY morrisville back when it was a 2 yr school so yes I know where Pompey is.... never heard of Ferds Bog
My parents/family had a hardware store for over 75 yrs in Deposit... met my wife and lived in Vermont until 1984... moved To California and retired in 2015.... we now live in Colorado ( granddaughter brought us here)... I’ve been following your build very nice... we have had a scamp/ casitas/ perris pace and now a little joe
For some strange reason I love the smaller trailers
Old 06-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #74

Syracuse, NY
We really like the smaller trailers also. Just as big as we need. My wife grew up in Grahamsville in the Catskills. A truly beautiful area. We have a daughter in Co. Where are you?
Old 06-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #75

We are just south of Denver/ Littleton/lone tree & Highlands ranch area
If you are out visiting be sure and contact us
You can camp at our house lol
Old 03-15-2024, 12:31 PM   #76

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We just had the privilege of camping with you and Mary at the 2024 Snoozy Rally in Tortilla Flat,Az. We enjoyed seeing the thoughtful design features on your camper. I have our Stoett shower door on order. Sara was so enthralled by it. Thanks Carl and may your journeys be blessed. . Tell Mary to keep the bird photos coming!

Charlie and Sara
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:04 PM   #77

Syracuse, NY
Thanks Charlie. One thing I think I may have forget to mention is, sometimes I have had the door open where you access the shower roller. I don't recall if I mentioned that caveat, but I put some tape on it to hold it in place. Not a biggy, but I try to share all design considerations and caveats I realize. Carl
CarlD is offline   Reply With Quote