LiL Hauley build out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
LiL Hauley build out

Sent the paperwork to Richard this afternoon for a LiL Hauley with the wet bath molding. We were considering a LiL Snoozy but wanted to make so many modifications, it seemed better to start from a shell. For a retired engineer, this will be fun. We have been surfing forums for desirable ideas and have a plan. I am planning on following the very efficient basic layout as the LiL Snoozy except for:
1. Windows with be Jalousie type
2. Sofa area will be a shelf at dining height with a drop leaf table and free moving chairs
3. Fresh water tank will go underneath (possible 2 tanks to get proper weight distribution. I need to do some calculations on weight distribution.
4. Water heater and pump will go beneath the sink
5. Batteries will go in a pan in the trailer triangle
6. Spare tire will go over the trailer triangle area (This will help with weight distribution.
7. Sliding wet bath door will somehow serve to eliminate the show curtain. Need some ideas here.
8. Kitchen area will be cherry, including live edge counter. (I have to check my stock)
9. Bed will pick up for storage access.

I plan on regular updates as the build progresses.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I'll enjoy watching the build. How long before you'll be able to go get it?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #3

Syracuse, NY
Right now the lead time on LiL Snoozy is 1 year and a LiL Hauley is about 6 months. The long lead items are the trailer and shell. Richard says it is a snap for his guys to do their work on a Hauley. He is very aware of his lead time commitments and is working towards increasing production.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I look forward to seeing the build. I enjoy watching as they unfold.

Just one question, why Jalousie style windows. I would go with a frameless dual glazed awning style window. Much better for keeping heat either in or out, seal better than Jalousie with all their sealing edges, dry in the rain, and look real nice too.

I have had Jalousie before in a Trillium I rebuilt, and they were very drafty and condensation built up on them. My current trailer is the first I have had with the frameless windows, and I really like them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations Carl. Post some of your sketch ideas, and of actual build progress as you go along.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Congratulations. I am looking forward to following your build. I wanted to do something similar when we bought our Snoozy. My wife said with me working full time we would never get to go camping. The cherry will look great.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #7

Name: Randy & Dot
Trailer: Casita (on order)
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Right now the lead time on LiL Snoozy is 1 year and a LiL Hauley is about 6 months. The long lead items are the trailer and shell. Richard says it is a snap for his guys to do their work on a Hauley. He is very aware of his lead time commitments and is working towards increasing production.
Yep, we only have 11.5 more months to go for our Snoozy. If he is able to increase production that will shorten, a bit.
Vintage Vagabonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:53 AM   #8

Name: Ed
Trailer: none
North Carolina
What is the MSRP on a Lil Hauley?
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I look forward to seeing the build. I enjoy watching as they unfold.

Just one question, why Jalousie style windows. I would go with a frameless dual glazed awning style window. Much better for keeping heat either in or out, seal better than Jalousie with all their sealing edges, dry in the rain, and look real nice too.

I have had Jalousie before in a Trillium I rebuilt, and they were very drafty and condensation built up on them. My current trailer is the first I have had with the frameless windows, and I really like them.
The current Hehr Jalousie windows close flush, no draft. They open almost perpendicular to the trailer allowing for maximum exposure of the window opening while minimizing the risk of walking into them outside the trailer. If there is a breeze you feel it and they can be left open in a light rain. Most awning windows don't open far enough to expose the window opening hence no breeze. With no power at the public campgrounds here in the northeast, a breeze blowing through the trailer on a hot July night is most welcome. That's why I have them.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The current Hehr Jalousie windows close flush, no draft. They open almost perpendicular to the trailer allowing for maximum exposure of the window opening while minimizing the risk of walking into them outside the trailer. If there is a breeze you feel it and they can be left open in a light rain. Most awning windows don't open far enough to expose the window opening hence no breeze. With no power at the public campgrounds here in the northeast, a breeze blowing through the trailer on a hot July night is most welcome. That's why I have them.
I have the Hehr dual glazed awning windows in my Escape, and love them. Lots of ventilation. Unobstructed view. If you really want to recirculate air quick, I just turn on the ceiling fan.

Can you get the Jalousie style in dual glazed?

I really like the retro look of Jalousie windows, but in anything new the frameless look way more stylish, IMHO. And we all have a little vanity in us, right?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #11

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
What is the MSRP on a Lil Hauley?
Right now the LiL Hauley is $9249
Old 04-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #12

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have the Hehr dual glazed awning windows in my Escape, and love them. Lots of ventilation. Unobstructed view. If you really want to recirculate air quick, I just turn on the ceiling fan.

Can you get the Jalousie style in dual glazed?

I really like the retro look of Jalousie windows, but in anything new the frameless look way more stylish, IMHO. And we all have a little vanity in us, right?
Thanks for the input. My Hilo has jalousie windows that we like because they expose the entire opening for air flow. Awning windows are plan B at the moment. Sliders are a non starter for us because of rain intrusion. We are outdoor people and like windows open all the time. I go crazy when it rains and we have to sit inside with all the windows closed. I have to check on the dual glazed version.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #13

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Congratulations. I am looking forward to following your build. I wanted to do something similar when we bought our Snoozy. My wife said with me working full time we would never get to go camping. The cherry will look great.
I would not attempt an undertaking like this if I was still working. The better half seem to have a lot of wisdom, however, for me 'Every Day is a Saturday', and it is not overrated!
Old 04-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #14

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Dang Carl, fish much? lol. I love to bang 'em at Chautauqua. Congrats on the new project.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #15

Syracuse, NY
We fish mostly on Charleston Lake in Ontario, Canada. Great bass lake! Good Eatin"
Old 04-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #16

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
I would not attempt an undertaking like this if I was still working. The better half seem to have a lot of wisdom, however, for me 'Every Day is a Saturday', and it is not overrated!

One of the few disadvantages of the LS is having to crawl over the spouse to get out of bed in the middle of the night.If you are the one in the nose. I am looking at changing mine to a twin bed configuration. In the early days LS made a few twins. In them the beds were all the way forward. I am considering removing the “entertainment center” part of the cabinets and making two couch/twin beds starting at the bathroom wall. The room left in the nose would be a closet and bank of cabinets. The beds would be used as couches during the day. The only concern would be getting enough bed width and still have a decent aisle.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #17

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
One of the few disadvantages of the LS is having to crawl over the spouse to get out of bed in the middle of the night.If you are the one in the nose. I am looking at changing mine to a twin bed configuration. In the early days LS made a few twins. In them the beds were all the way forward. I am considering removing the “entertainment center” part of the cabinets and making two couch/twin beds starting at the bathroom wall. The room left in the nose would be a closet and bank of cabinets. The beds would be used as couches during the day. The only concern would be getting enough bed width and still have a decent aisle.
I understand your issue regarding climbing over your mate in the middle of the night. We have the same configuration in our Hilo. I sleep on the wall side and have to climb over my wife to get out. Fortunately I have long legs and have managed to do it with waking her. We really don't mind the configuration. You might also find it interesting that our current mattress is only 48 inches wide. Like they say, its difficult to stay mad at each other if you have to sleep so close!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We have not had issues of the need to climb over one another (yet) but if it becomes an issue, we will simply place the pillows towards the nose of the trailer. The queen bed is wide enough for my 5’ tall wife, and I’ll simply place a couple of large pillows to make the couch equal height with the bed for my feet, or one of us could sleep on the jack-knife sofa.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:17 AM   #19

Syracuse, NY
Dave
You and my husband (Carl) think alike, Its Scary, We are wishing you and Paula a wonderful trip .I hope you can post along the way.Wish we were going with you. Mary
Old 04-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #20

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
We have not had issues of the need to climb over one another (yet) but if it becomes an issue, we will simply place the pillows towards the nose of the trailer. The queen bed is wide enough for my 5’ tall wife, and I’ll simply place a couple of large pillows to make the couch equal height with the bed for my feet, or one of us could sleep on the jack-knife sofa.
Dave & Paula
I am just to tall and wallow around to much for that to work for us. Right now I have other projects going but we shall see...