Li'l stuff - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Li'l stuff

Pix of little improvements to the old donkey:

1) Needed a shaving mirror and there is no sink in the Burro "master bath". On the pantry door next the galley sink seemed the best place. Plexi mirror left over from another project; edges beveled, stuck on with VHB tape.

2) This is the "real" mirror project next the door. Plexi mirror laminated to MDF, capped with colorcore. PO had a tiny little wood-framed mirror purchased at some headdress and tomahawk tourist trap in Tennesee. I could see my neck in it! This one has a bit more utility and makes the front end seem a little less constricted by the toilet/shower wall adjacent to the door.

3) Look close at this one and you get a face in the mirror. Reflection of that ogee curve in the glass liner I think.

4) Man, I hated scraping top of my head on that aluminum door frame. I added an orange "bumper" mould bolted thru the frame. You can still hit your head but not on a sharp edge. Makes a good handle when exiting. Also I can now do what the sign suggests by "watching me head" in the mirror adjacent the door.

5) Always need more counter for food prep. That's why folks in 13s grill outside even when it's raining. I got an 18"x26" standard baking pan and added nylon ledgers to straddle the stove base. It can be turned over flange side up as a carrying tray. Stows next to my seat in the dinette when the stove is in use.

jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00683.jpg   DSC00686.jpg  

DSC00689.jpg   DSC00691.jpg  

Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #2

Delaware
Pic missing from previous post

Here's my door header bumper omitted from previous post. The mechanics of foto posting are really awkward for me today!

jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00687.jpg  

Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #3

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
Rabbit, nice set of mods. I like how you blended the mirror to the roof contours.

I'm with you on hitting your head. I was so glad to get my trailer restored to the point were I could put on the door edge strip, as I kept smacking my head going in and out. I tried putting a piece of the old stuff on and it kept falling off. The one good thing is I hit my head so often I now have a natural bent knee going in and out of the trailer and don't have that problem anymore, but it did take a good year to sink in.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #4

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
looking very nice!! i really think the curved mirror is a terrific touch!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #5

Delaware
Can't be gutting our rigs, mixin bondo and resin, and playing the body shop game all the time. Gotta get the stench of styrene out of the nostrils and make it livable even for the very few days on the road yrly. Thank you for the kind comments.

jack
Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #6

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I like the mirror by the door. Gives you a chance to check that your tie is straight and tophat well brushed before you head off to the copacabana for a drink
Stove cover is a great idea too!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Nice work, Jack. Where do you find those plexiglass mirrors? Didn't know about them.

Clever and simple stove cover, too!

I wrapped some indoor-outdoor carpet over foam and attached it to the top of my door frame after banging my forehead one too many times. Got the idea from Chuck Hagen who has the same trailer as I.

Here's a photo of Chuck's Compact II head-banger pad. Can't find a photo of my own right now.

Best,
Fran
Attached Thumbnails
IM004108.JPG  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #8

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Looks good. I like your portable stove cover/tray.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Making it your own. Good job. At first I thought you had added an extra window and wanted to see if we would notice Thanks for sharing. Raz
Old 01-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #10

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I love the shaped mirror. And I need to do a head bumper of some sort, too. 9 times out of 10 I remember to duck my head on the way out, but on that 10th time I slam my head right into that thing.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #11

Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
Your BEAUTY of a mirror reminds me just a bit of the curvilinear one that Peter and Lynne put into their Scamp 5th wheel...but they didn't have to cut it since it was made that way by IKEA. Damned if I didn't make a big trip, from the coast to go there, only to find that they no longer carried my curvy mirror. Yours is LOVERLY.

ALSO, love the stove topper but can't picture what the nylon bumper looks like on the underneath, to hold it tight. Can you please post an UNDERNEATH-the-baking-pan-pic?

Francene, Thanks for posting Chuck's Head-Bumper-Less pic. Reminds me how much I still need one for my Egg. I average at least 3 hard head hits per year. Damn.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Jack, a nice set of mods. What is the door / head bumper material and how is it attached? I've almost keeled over from bonking my head so hard sometimes. Where did you get the plexi mirror? I have a small one I bought from the automotive section of Walmart, it's actually meant as a temporary repair mirror that can be cut to fix a broken car mirror. But I want a larger one to attach to the cabinet doors. I see you have a microwave attached above the counter, how is it attached to the overhead cabinet?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #13

Delaware
In order of asking: acrylic mirror is available from most glass shops and large sheet plastic distributors. Generally 1/8" thickness is the going deal but most of the time it needs to be laminated to a backer to avoid deformation and optical distortion (funhouse mirror reflections). Yrs. ago we put quite a bit of it in corporate aircraft, sometimes laminating the entire facade of galley cabinets, lavatories, sometimes full bulkheads. The "silvering" was very thin and very sensitive to scratching and also susceptible to solvents in contact cement. At that time, we sprayed the back with zinc chromate primer before laminating to avoid these problems. These days there is no need for this kludge as the manufacturers wised up and now apply a protective coating over the silvering.

The bumpers on the baking pan are 1"X1 1/4" by 17" plastic bars (no reason for nylon except we had some scrap at work, could be wood) attached thru the pan at each end with what used to be called saw bolts and are now sold as sex bolts. I used aluminum ones from the TruValue as the unslotted head on the female is very flat and thin and the pan is aluminum. Any panhead bolt and nut would work if you countersink the battens for the nuts. The bars simply elevate the pan high enuf that it doesn't rock on the stove knobs which in the case of my my stove are higher than the grates and keep it from moving fore and aft. Since buying this old trailer, I've got in the habit of replacing steel bolts and screws with stainless around the shower and galley area to avoid corrosion I think I got the aluminum bolts fo much the same reason.

The bumper is two parts: there is a black plastic extruded track and the safety- orange bumper which snaps onto the track to hide all evidence of attachment method. This was scavenged at work so I have no idea of the manufacturer or product name. I think you can find something very similar in Granger catalog.

As for the microwave, aluminum angle bolted to each end of the microwave shell and also bolted thru the floor of the overhead lockers. I removed the shell to use bolts and nuts but if certain of clearance inside the shell,pop rivets would probably be OK. As the leg of the angles which bolt to the overhead face inward (had to do this way as no extra space for a 1" flange next the stove hood) there's a little trick involved in both laying out the hole pattern and mounting the whole rig. I don't think it's necessary to go into detail as the way you finesse this sort of problem is a personal thing and depends on your experience and approach.

jack