Little Taurus - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Name: Setnie
Trailer: 1985 Taurus
Somewhere nice
Little Taurus

Refinishing an old Taurus ultra lite. It is stripped due to deteriorating ratfur and I refuse to stick anything that will deteriorate back on the walls. So any suggestions from erudite folk. The interior walls are unfinished rough fibreglass.
Thanks!
Setnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Taurus ultra lite? I've never heard of this brand. I ran a Google search and the only thing that comes up are revolvers. I know it's not a Scamp model and Scamp is the only trailer where we refer to the marine grade headliner material as Rat Fur.

Do you have a picture?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Donna D.;586117]Scamp is the only trailer where we refer to the marine grade headliner material as Rat Fur.

What is it referred to in Casitas ?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setnie View Post
Refinishing an old Taurus ultra lite. It is stripped due to deteriorating ratfur and I refuse to stick anything that will deteriorate back on the walls. So any suggestions from erudite folk. The interior walls are unfinished rough fibreglass.
Thanks!
Kinda hard to help you out when your profile states it's none of our business as to your make of trailer but maybe with some pictures and a little more info someone here may be able to help you out
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post

What is it referred to in Casitas ?
Carpet. Because it's not marine grade headliner material, it's a short shag 'carpeting,' (As per Arizona Eileen).
Old 05-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

Somewhere nice
Taurus trailer

ok so trying to upload photos with the phone... hmmm not sure.

this little trailer is a 1985 model. weights about 600lbs but now that it is gutted it is basically a fibreglass shell on a galvanized frame... I am little and can move it around by hand easy. the previous owner bought it unfinished and did the interior himself..... my goodness what a lot of unnecessary complication in design and wiring..... I removed about 100lbs of screws and bolt I bet.... and about 12 feet of gas and water lines.... it is 6' wide by 8' long. cute little thing.

Mikmay....regarding the none of your business comment on my profile.... I have a single bar of cell service and the questions to sign up are crazy.... LOL. I have a few projects on the go and cannot list them all. take no offence. I was just trying to establish a profile.

The trailer is in fairly good shape except there was foam backed fabric glued inside that powdered out and molded so have scraped that all off. Inside is just a rough unfinished bare fibreglass shell..... just looking for good ideas on what to install inside. I am going super simple. Just putting a fridge, stove, sink, inverter along the front and going to have a bed in the rear. this leave loads of storage space for climbing gear. I only use it in the winter ice climbing and skiing and not worried too much about the cold... I am used to sleeping in a tent so this is a definite step up.

Hopefully the images I attached will show what the interior looks like.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
trailer.JPG   inside.jpg  

Old 05-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Another new (to us) brand that looks like a Cadet! Sweet. But, weren't these originally lined with a product similar to ensolite rather than marine grade headliner?

This is a Cadet
Attached Thumbnails
Cadet.JPG  
Old 05-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #8

Somewhere nice
Thanks Donna! that looks like the same trailer... where did you find the image? only the windows are different. but it has the same pop top. I know next to nothing about trailers except the new ones used for work. Only had this one about 5 years and it is time to reno it due to the deteriorating interior fabric. I was just going to paint it and hang mexican blankets inside LOL.... but someone told me these things sweat.... I only had problems with humidity when I was on vancouver island going to university in a 3 week rain storm and the window leaked..... but everything was damp.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

this little trailer is a 1972 model. weights about 600lbs but now that it is gutted it is basically a fibreglass shell on a galvanized frame... I am little and can move it around by hand easy. the previous owner bought it unfinished and did the interior himself..... my goodness what a lot of unnecessary complication in design and wiring..... I removed about 100lbs of screws and bolt I bet.... and about 12 feet of gas and water lines.... it is 6' wide by 8' long. cute little thing.

Mikmay....regarding the none of your business comment on my profile.... I have a single bar of cell service and the questions to sign up are crazy.... LOL. I have a few projects on the go and cannot list them all. take no offence. I was just trying to establish a profile.

The trailer is in fairly good shape except there was foam backed fabric glued inside that powdered out and molded so have scraped that all off. Inside is just a rough unfinished bare fibreglass shell..... just looking for good ideas on what to install inside. I am going super simple. Just putting a fridge, stove, sink, inverter along the front and going to have a bed in the rear. this leave loads of storage space for climbing gear. I only use it in the winter ice climbing and skiing and not worried too much about the cold... I am used to sleeping in a tent so this is a definite step up.

Hopefully the images I attached will show what the interior looks like.

thanks
That looks like the photo of the trailer in the forum gallery that is called a Cadet. Identical body molding profiles. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...cture9530.html

And isn't it also the body mold design that was used for the trailers called the Predom and in the UK a Freedom?

I guess the designer sold the rights of the design for the body mold use to several companies. Or those companies bought it used it and then sold it to other companies in more than one country. Whatever happened there are multiple companies around using that same mold design so I guess it should not be all that surprising to see yet another product name attached to it show up in the forum.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Ontario
Setnie I hope you have Enough bars on your phone to change your profile to a cadet owner as that sure looks to be what you have ,I'd also like to welcome you to the fg forum ,you will get a lot of info you need here.it sure is funny how 1 word can change the whole atmosphere of a post ,somewhere nice sure sounds a lot better than somewhere .
Old 05-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

Somewhere nice
Taurus masquerading as a Cadet...

So now I know what type of trailer this is related to, I am looking for a rear window....just like the window in the photograph of my previous post. Thanks everyone for your help so far.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
So now I know what type of trailer this is related to, I am looking for a rear window....just like the window in the photograph of my previous post. Thanks everyone for your help so far.
Setnie you state your ensolite is gone I'm not sure on the interior of the cadet but I think it would be easier to replace due to the flatter walls as aposed to the rounded corners of a boler or scamp. Some here would suggest using carpet or headliner as they may be easier to install than ensolite. If however you decide to use ensolite I have a source for it here in ont and also in calafornia. Not sure if you are close to either as I'm not sure where somewhere nice is but if you would like more info you can pm me and I could give you more info.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #13

Somewhere nice
the product on the interior was never ensolite. it was a miserable fabric with a foam back.... terrible stuff. melted in the heat, powdered out, moulded. Whoever thought this was a good idea to use was mistaken.... and I can't imagine what he glued it on with... everything is sticky.... I believe at one point the cat was stuck to the floor...
Old 05-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
These trailers were designed in Poland, and they probably don't get much hot weather there (I'm guessing). Too bad we can't economically order parts from Predom Prespol and have them shipped across the pond.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #15

Somewhere nice
its crazy actually, the various economical and amazing styles of caravans available in Europe is astounding... but we just cannot seem to get them here.... sigh.
I am a neophyte regarding fibreglass.... thankfully I have a dad who rolls his eyes at my shenanigans.... i have no clue. I have read so many posts and forums saying I need to wash the walls with tsp or scrubbing bubbles before I adhere anything else, others that say certain glues will not hold up, issues with the stickiness of the remaining residue from the nightmare that was on the walls previously.... I was excited a few days ago, now that I am ready for wall covering I am terrified! yikes. I was more content when I had no internet access! LOL. Ignorance truly was bliss....
Old 05-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=mary and bob;586120]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Scamp is the only trailer where we refer to the marine grade headliner material as Rat Fur.

\?
Actually we in the Fiberglass trailer world think of only Scamp's when the discussion of Rat Fur come up BUT there are SOB of trailers that also have rat fur/marine headliner on the walls and their user groups refer to it as such as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
BUT there are SOB of trailers that also have rat fur/marine headliner on the walls and their user groups refer to it as such as well.
I wonder if they knew Pete Dumbleton who coined the phrase "Rat Fur"?
Old 05-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #18

Somewhere nice
Well progressing as well as I can while learning as I go. Thanks to the folks who helped suggest similar trailers. I have stripped the interior with infinite patience due to there not being a single screw or bolt that matched. The previous owner did a modification and drilled holes for 4 fuel lines (1 was necessary), nailed the floor sheeting through the fiberglassing (so lots of little holes to fill). And had 5 different holes in the shell for water..... (1 is needed).
Regardless, thanks the the folks who posted tips and suggestions on how to fiberglass.
I found a product called thermozite thermal and acoustic insulation out of Burbank that sells for $12 a yard. In Canada the same is $33 a yard.... So to the US I go. My savings will pay for a vacation.
I will post photos when I can. My phone doesn't like the forum format.
But if anyone has advice on replacing window seals please comment or pm.
This kid needs all the help she can get because dad is sick in bed all week. Poor old dude. Cancer sucks. Otherwise have a great weekend.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:11 AM   #19

Name: Fuh-Shing
Trailer: Hunter
Virginia
Registry
Any photos of Thermozite installation? Thanks.
fuhshingpan is offline   Reply With Quote