Locating replacement windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I knew my Campster windows were not going to be available so I took them apart, fixed a number of issues, adapted a variety of seals I found so the glass could slide and I could keep out the bugs and the drafts too. But my background is aircraft assembly and fabrication work and I make stuff. I even had to 3D print little plastic pieces that were needed to keep the window glass elevated so it did not bottom out in the window glass run seal. The glass run seal was another adaptation, I could not get any of it that would fit so I ordered some, cut and trimmed some of the edges so it would fit into the frame, had to add slots so the water could drain out of it, etc. The windows had to be taken apart to get the old rusted stuff out and put the new pieces in. Not in the least a fun job but that is what it takes.

<SNIP>>

I do not have the style of windows you have but with effort no doubt I could get them working again if I did own them. Maybe you will also be able to fix yours as well so just get going on it. You already know you are not going to find any easy solutions to this problem so it is time to quit looking and start creating and adapting. The place to start is measuring the thickness of your glass and the width and depth of the aluminum channel it slides in. Then find some glass run seal that will hopefully fit into that channel and have the right width gap for the thickness of your glass.
Some awesome work there! Well done!

There is a need on these 40+ year old trailers to get really creative for sure. In my vintage bicycle restoration hobby, there is a market for "donor bikes", bikes bought solely for parts, as the parts on these old bicycles are not available. Of course, accumulating parts off 100 bikes takes up a lot less space than parts off a couple of trailers. But I've wondered about various RV wrecking yards, they are out there. I've added going to one or two in the SE to my list of places to tour.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows