Locating replacement windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #1

Name: Kip
Trailer: Hunter
Arizona
Locating replacement windows

I have a Hunter Compact Jr. and am looking for replacement windows. I have looked everywhere in my area to no avail. Can anyone help locate or assist with new style replacements? Thanks
Fiberglassflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglassflyer View Post
I have a Hunter Compact Jr. and am looking for replacement windows. I have looked everywhere in my area to no avail. Can anyone help locate or assist with new style replacements? Thanks
If your frame is good you can buy the track lining and have the flat glass cut to fit.
Are they like this?...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0085.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #3

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If your frame is good you can buy the track lining and have the flat glass cut to fit.
Are they like this?...

I only have one window that opens the other one was modified with plexiglass and does not open. I would love to find two matching windows that open, but, they are such odd sizes it is not easy.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
if you mean exact fit, off the shelf replacements? They don't exist.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #5

Name: ThatGuyBri785
Trailer: HUNTER
Kansas
My 72 compact JR has the square aluminum windows. (Not sure what you have) Which you can buy a more energy efficient replacement from any of the big box stores
Brian Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #6

Arizona
Hey Brian Do you have any info on manufacturers or which big box stores?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #7

Arizona
I also have the aluminum square frame windows.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Hey Brian Do you have any info on manufacturers or which big box stores?
There are lots of manufactures out there who make aluminum windows for houses. Go to the custom order desk at the big box store or to the window department and ask to see their catalogs. But most likely you will need to place a custom order to get the exact size fit. Be sure you measure very carefully.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #9

Arizona
Home Depot and Lowe’s both say they have no outlet for the windows. Thanks anyway
Old 08-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Home Depot and Lowe’s both say they have no outlet for the windows. Thanks anyway

I'm guessing you are asking if they sell Hunter replacement windows, when what you should be asking is if they make custom windows.
You could go to any glass shop with the specs for the windows you require and they could make them. It's what they do.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:54 PM   #11

Oregon
if you look at the photo of the old aluminum trailer on this website page for Motion Windows it looks like they could help solve your problem of getting replacement windows. $$$
https://www.rvwindows.com/trailer-windows/
Old 08-25-2019, 12:13 AM   #12

Arizona
I know there is not a Hunter replacement window, they have not made them for many years. I have been to hundreds of web sites and dozens of glass shops with no positive outcomes, I have taken in the old frames to see if they could be rebuilt or duplicated that is why I am asking the forum for help other than the obvious outlets Because it’s what I do.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:01 AM   #13

Oregon
Quote:
I know there is not a Hunter replacement window, they have not made them for many years. I have been to hundreds of web sites and dozens of glass shops with no positive outcomes, I have taken in the old frames to see if they could be rebuilt or duplicated that is why I am asking the forum for help other than the obvious outlets Because it’s what I do.
I knew my Campster windows were not going to be available so I took them apart, fixed a number of issues, adapted a variety of seals I found so the glass could slide and I could keep out the bugs and the drafts too. But my background is aircraft assembly and fabrication work and I make stuff. I even had to 3D print little plastic pieces that were needed to keep the window glass elevated so it did not bottom out in the window glass run seal. The glass run seal was another adaptation, I could not get any of it that would fit so I ordered some, cut and trimmed some of the edges so it would fit into the frame, had to add slots so the water could drain out of it, etc. The windows had to be taken apart to get the old rusted stuff out and put the new pieces in. Not in the least a fun job but that is what it takes.

First I look at options and resources and then I adapt what I can find to make things work out OK. If I can't find something then I will try to fabricate a substitute part. Fortunately I have over many years developed an analytical mind where I can look at things and see how they need to be taken apart and put back together. I also have a lot of tools on hand for custom fabrication. But for this task I did have to go out and buy a few new ones such as a bar clamp that would spread the frame apart (after I took out the rivet that held it together) so I could get the glass out of it. Getting a new rivet back in was a very frustrating task but I got it done.

Because...that is what I do and what I have always done. But guess what...not one single person on the forum knew how to do the things I ended up having to do to make my windows functional once again. They did not know of any sources for replacement parts, they had never done the steps it took either. The replacement parts did not exist on the internet other than one of the seals. No one makes those same aluminum extrusions either so I had to work very carefully. Sometimes you just have to go where no one has gone before.

I do not have the style of windows you have but with effort no doubt I could get them working again if I did own them. Maybe you will also be able to fix yours as well so just get going on it. You already know you are not going to find any easy solutions to this problem so it is time to quit looking and start creating and adapting. The place to start is measuring the thickness of your glass and the width and depth of the aluminum channel it slides in. Then find some glass run seal that will hopefully fit into that channel and have the right width gap for the thickness of your glass.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:02 AM   #14

Arizona
I am not sure what your thing is? But I would suggest you pat yourself on the back and move on. This is not a forum for drama. I appreciate your opinion and assistance good day!
Old 08-25-2019, 01:23 AM   #15

Oregon
Quote:
I am not sure what your thing is? But I would suggest you pat yourself on the back and move on. This is not a forum for drama. I appreciate your opinion and assistance good day!
Good luck to you Kip, you will need it to try and make those windows functional.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #16

Name: ThatGuyBri785
Trailer: HUNTER
Kansas
As stated above, go to home depot's website and either so a custom window search or try one of the 2 following suggestions. (Ones I considered anyway) look up mobil home windows or utility windows. If they are not the exact same size you could A) cut your rough opening to size, meaning make it a bit bigger or my brother's camper for one of the windows the previous owner put up a treated sheet of plywood in the windows place. So imagine a rectangular piece of plywood and cut a rough opening into the plywood for the new window (in your case itd be a smaller window then the original) you can even laminate a fiberglass paneling to the exterior facing plywood so no one could even tell there was plywood put in to begin with. Home depot even sells the FB panel 4x8 for less than $25.
Brian Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Locating replacement windows

Don’t you need single pane tempered glass for an RV? Can you get that at Home Depot??
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #18

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Don’t you need single pane tempered glass for an RV? Can you get that at Home Depot??

Yes you do and no they don’t. You can have it installed at the glass company but it is like paying for the window twice. The only chance at replacement windows is to change the window opening itself to match windows you find. I think this would be a moneymaker industry if you had a glass shop.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #19

Oregon
if you are doing a custom order from a window company it should not be all that impossible to specify having them made with tempered glass. Those companies make glass doors such as sliders and those are required to be made with tempered glass.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:29 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You need windows that attach to the exterior surface with a flange. Residential windows more commonly lack a flange for installation inside a framed or masonry opening. Garden shed windows often mount on the outside, but they aren’t tempered.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows