Locking storage for BAL Lever - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
A while back there was a topic on how to store a BAL leveler. There were suggestions like "we keep it in a pizza delivery bag" and such. We wanted a way to store our BAL leveler outside the trailer somewhere . . . somewhere that would be easily accessed during setup and would allow us to lock it down and prevent five-finger-discounters from nabbing our precious leveling tool.

This is what we came up with. It's kind of specific to our Scamp 5th wheel design, but the general idea might work on standard hitch trailers, too.

First task was to find a spot on the frame where we could stash the hitch. Lynne suggested the a spot under the 5er loft behind the "landing gear" and battery. I welded on two lengths of angle iron there that both hold the leveler in its chosen spot and extend out a bit to make it easier to guide and slide the leveler into place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BAL_Leveler_Storage__2_.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	21339

A hole drilled in the upper rail and through a corner of the tire brace on the BAL leveler allow us to padlock the leveler into place, which both secures it from theft and keeps it tightly in-place while we're towing. I had to notch out a corner of the tire brace to so I could thread the hasp of the lock through.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BAL_Leveler_Storage__4_.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	21340
Attached Thumbnails
BAL_Leveler_Storage__1_.JPG  
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Thanks for the great idea Peter!

Frederick helped me snag a deal on one yesterday. I hope to have it arrive for bolerama. I've been toying with the idea of making a tire holder off the rear bumper like Jean-L and have been wondering if I could somehow use that to hold the Bal leveller. Now that I've seen how you've done yours, I have a better idea of what I want to do.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote