Looking for LOWEST BTU A/C Unit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Looking for LOWEST BTU A/C Unit

I am looking to install the lowest BTU unit for easy starting and operation w/ my Honda 2000i.

Prior owner always stayed at RV Parks so threw out the OEM 7700 BTU Dometic (no longer made) and installed a 13,500 BTU Dometic unit for instant cooling when they's stop for the day, but it uses too much electricity (for my genny), and cycles on/off too often since it makes so much cold air, it only runs a few minutes each cycle even at 100+ deg in my well-insulated Big Foot RV.

The smallest unit I've been able to find is the noisy 9200 BTU Coleman, which is marginal for my Honda.

In reality, even 5000 BTU is plenty for the Big Foot, but obviously I don't want to mount a room unit in my camper.

Thanks-
Bob
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob,

We mounted a 5000 BTU home air conditioner in the bottom of a closet, venting thru the floor. More than enough in our Scamp 16 and only draws 5 amps. We primarily use it on a hot day when we cook in the trailer on a hot day. It knocks the effective temperature down by quickly reducing the humidity. Basically we run it about 5 days a year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinyelm View Post
I am looking to install the lowest BTU unit for easy starting and operation w/ my Honda 2000i.

Prior owner always stayed at RV Parks so threw out the OEM 7700 BTU Dometic (no longer made) and installed a 13,500 BTU Dometic unit for instant cooling when they's stop for the day, but it uses too much electricity (for my genny), and cycles on/off too often since it makes so much cold air, it only runs a few minutes each cycle even at 100+ deg in my well-insulated Big Foot RV.

The smallest unit I've been able to find is the noisy 9200 BTU Coleman, which is marginal for my Honda.

In reality, even 5000 BTU is plenty for the Big Foot, but obviously I don't want to mount a room unit in my camper.

Thanks-
Bob
I have a Coleman Mini-Mach 7100 BTU It will start and run on my Coleman 1850 generator. They no longer make the Mini-Mach but there are used and reconditioned ones out there available.
Coleman now makes the Polar Cub which I think is 9200BTU and should run easily with your Honda. One place even advertises an 8300BTU version.

You might get a starter kit or a remote thermostat, but I can't say if that would address the problem you describe.

http://newac2012.com/1160-coleman-po...nditioner.html
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have a Coleman Mini-Mach 7100 BTU It will start and run on my Coleman 1850 generator. They no longer make the Mini-Mach but there are used and reconditioned ones out there available.
Coleman now makes the Polar Cub which I think is 9200BTU and should run easily with your Honda. One place even advertises an 8300BTU version.
Yes, I read about the Mini Mach 7100 BTU units, and if I could find one of those, I'd be a happy camper (literally)!

I've done web-searches, but haven't found any, but if you know where one might be found, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

I run my 8300 BTU unit on my Casita w/ my Honda OK, though I really don't need that much for the smaller truck-camper and the less the dreaw, the better.

The newer 9200 BTU units are "iffy" according to some Casita users, and they say they are very noisy compared to the older R-22 units.

Bob
Old 11-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bob,

We mounted a 5000 BTU home air conditioner in the bottom of a closet, venting thru the floor. More than enough in our Scamp 16 and only draws 5 amps. We primarily use it on a hot day when we cook in the trailer on a hot day. It knocks the effective temperature down by quickly reducing the humidity. Basically we run it about 5 days a year.
thanks-

Yes a 5000 BTU A/C would do it, but there's so little spare space in a 9.5ft truck camper, unless I cut out the back window and mount one there (and destroy the looks, value, and marginally bright interior), there's not any good place to stick it, unfortunately.

The Big Foot is quite well insulated, so the 13.500 unit I have is WAY oversized in BTU and current draw.

Bob
Old 11-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I've been told that the 11,000 BTU Dometic AC used by Escape on their most recent trailers will run on a Honda 2000i. Since I don't carry a generator, I can't verify myself, but you might give Reace at Escape a call & check (as well as find out which model # they are using).
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I've been told that the 11,000 BTU Dometic AC used by Escape on their most recent trailers will run on a Honda 2000i. Since I don't carry a generator, I can't verify myself, but you might give Reace at Escape a call & check (as well as find out which model # they are using).
I've verified the Coleman Mach 1PS (Power Saver) 11,000 BTU will run in eco mode on the Honda 2000i a bit ago, but the bigger BTU units cool the coach so fast each cycle that they cycle on/off more often, and even on "Low" the fan moves almost too much air in a small truck camper.

But if it will run off my Honda, I might go for it if I can't locate a Mini Mach, which I probably won't be able to.

Bob
Old 11-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
I've verified the Coleman Mach 1PS (Power Saver) 11,000 BTU will run in eco mode on the Honda 2000i a bit ago, but the bigger BTU units cool the coach so fast each cycle that they cycle on/off more often, and even on "Low" the fan moves almost too much air in a small truck camper.

But if it will run off my Honda, I might go for it if I can't locate a Mini Mach, which I probably won't be able to.

Bob
I kinda like the Polar Cub. It would be my second choice after the Mini-Mach. The design is reminiscent of rooftop industrial units with that vertical fan.
I did run across a noisy one recently on a Scamp 13. It turned out that the fan settled about 20 thousands of an inch and very lightly rubbed the housing. A simple adjustment and it was as quiet as any other rooftop unit I have experienced. They are very common since they discontinued the Mini-Mach so maybe you could go to an RV place and hear one for yourself.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #9

The Polar Cub 9201 (9200 BTU) actually has a HIGHER LRA (Locked Rotor Amperage) start-up current surge than the Mach 1 PS according to Coleman data specs, and the Mach 1 PS compressor draws fewer amps while running, though the Mach 1 blower draws about 1 amp more than the Polar Cub (both on low and high), so while running, they both use the same power (watts) of about 1025 watts at 80 deg F and 1250 watts at 100 degreesF.

I haven't heard the new R-410 Polar Cub run, but a lot of the folks on the Casita forum say they are much louder than the R-22 Polar Cubs. I don't know what a Mach 1 PS sounds like. The 8300 BTU R-22 Coleman on my 2002 Casita is very quiet.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
The Polar Cub 9201 (9200 BTU) actually has a HIGHER LRA (Locked Rotor Amperage) start-up current surge than the Mach 1 PS according to Coleman data specs, and the Mach 1 PS compressor draws fewer amps while running, though the Mach 1 blower draws about 1 amp more than the Polar Cub (both on low and high), so while running, they both use the same power (watts) of about 1025 watts at 80 deg F and 1250 watts at 100 degreesF.

I haven't heard the new R-410 Polar Cub run, but a lot of the folks on the Casita forum say they are much louder than the R-22 Polar Cubs. I don't know what a Mach 1 PS sounds like. The 8300 BTU R-22 Coleman on my 2002 Casita is very quiet.
Be sure and report back here with your experience.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Be sure and report back here with your experience.
Given the time of year, I'll probably monitor sites for a used or old-stock unit, and if I don't find anything by hot weather camping season I'll buy a Mach 1 PS, and will report back.

Bob
Old 11-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have a Coleman Polar Cub that we installed in 2007 on our 16' VT. It is very quiet, but I have not had any luck really running it on our 2000 watt generator. It just won't kick in the compressor. Our's is not a Honda but an off brand from Pep Boys. I don't know the model of the AC offhand.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Just trying to help with ideas!

You could try this one!
Attached Thumbnails
RV air conditioner .jpg  
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #14

The Pep Boys was made by Kipor, who produced a knock-off Honda 2000i.

I bought one for a friend and tried it next to my Honda, and found its protection circuit would kick it off with loads (like my Skil Saw) the Honda would hang-in with.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #15

Here's a good thread on the Casita Board I wish I'd found sooner:

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/..._1#entry146626
Old 11-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
You could try this one!
Thanks, Jim.

Tried that first and it worked fine, but the Ice Maker I stole from the "Motel 6" I strapped to the back bumper of my vehicle with rope and trapping tape (as a safety measure) to supply it with ice kept kicking my Honda off-line when the compressor cut-in.

I tried using Dry Ice in the cooler, but the canaries I used as safety devices in my camper kept dying from the CO2 so I gave up on that idea as well. I THINK the CO2 is what killed them, but they were also frozen solid, so I can't be absolutely sure.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Yep, that's the one.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote