Looking for photos of 3-way fridge install - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Looking for photos of 3-way fridge install

I am currently adding a 3-way fridge to my 16’ Scamp. I have the electricity and gas ready to go. I was hoping to get some pictures of two things:

1. How is the interface between the rear refrigerator cabinet (chute from fridge to exterior vents) and the inside surface of the outer shell accomplished? How is this made so that gas fumes don't leak into the under-cabinet area?

2. How does the gas line and electric line get in through the rear cabinet so that it's also air tight. I'm guessing a hole and copious amounts of caulk?

Hoping someone has access to take a couple of pictures. Thank you!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #2

So, no one has a three-way fridge installed in a Scamp? Maybe I need to move this to General Chat for more views...

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 01-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #3

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
It does not need to be a specific make or model of FGRV to give you the type of products and general installation advice for them. No doubt it will take a combination of the suggestions below to get the job done.

To keep the air from the backside of the fridge from getting into the cabin
You can use good quality caulking that remains flexible to seal small gaps. Choose a color that is close to that of your finished cabinets.

For larger gaps you can use closed cell foam weather stripping products. Those are available in rolls with adhesive backing from hardware stores. That type of product comes in different thickness and widths as well as different densities.

Spray foam of course does work but tends to be very messy and you don't want to get it onto the finish on your cabinets.

In some visible areas you may want to add wood trim pieces, stained and finished to match your cabinets, to close up larger gaps then caulk to fully seal the join.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
I am currently adding a 3-way fridge to my 16’ Scamp. I have the electricity and gas ready to go. I was hoping to get some pictures of two things:

1. How is the interface between the rear refrigerator cabinet (chute from fridge to exterior vents) and the inside surface of the outer shell accomplished? How is this made so that gas fumes don't leak into the under-cabinet area?

2. How does the gas line and electric line get in through the rear cabinet so that it's also air tight. I'm guessing a hole and copious amounts of caulk?

Hoping someone has access to take a couple of pictures. Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
So, no one has a three-way fridge installed in a Scamp? Maybe I need to move this to General Chat for more views...
I read the original post but which fridge and Scamp model was not listed. I suspect mine is different.

Side or roof exhaust vent? Which Scamp layout? You asked about a 3-way but I only have a two way (on starboard side with roof vent). But since your questions only deal with the gas use, a 3, 2 or even one way absorption fridge install what we are talking about, but the cabinet and vent arrangement will vary.

You should not have any gas (propane) fumes leaking anywhere. But perhaps you meant combustion exhaust fumes. The thing is that from what I have seen, Scamp fails to do a good job in making sure that the combustion exhaust fumes are always properly channeled. So I would suggest that you do not blindly follow their lead but instead start with it and see where it can be improved. You also get a a better chance at this stage to look at insulating the box better than Scamp does, and make provisions for assisted airflow with small fan(s). In addition to the installation manual (which you should study closely) I found these resources:

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...ion-Manual.pdf

https://www.caravansplus.com.au/pdf/...on%20V%205.pdf

The gas line pass through is nothing fancy.. through a fiberglass sheet and caulked.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

Sorry, this project got sidetracked! This is super helpful. I was not aware that there is essentially just a large wall between the fridge and the other end of the cabinet. I thought there would be more of a chute the same size of the fridge that goes back to the outside wall, thereby controlling the flow of air better from the lower vent to the upper vent. In your pictures it looks like the fridge is essentially just sitting in a large open air compartment with no way to direct airflow where it needs to go. The hot air seems like it's just free to float around that entire compartment instead of being forced out the top vent.

1991 Scamp 16'

Tags
fridge