Looking for small, powerful solar panels. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #15

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium Outback - 2004
Alberta
Registry
Wow, $200 for a 20W panel? I couldn't find a spec sheet on them, but a +-5% variance for that price is super questionable. While I can fully understand size and weight being a concern, I can't help but feel those panels are way over priced. Any idea what the cell/module efficiency rating is? If it's very high it would make a bit more sense, odd they don't post it.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #16

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
Wow, $200 for a 20W panel? I couldn't find a spec sheet on them, but a +-5% variance for that price is super questionable. While I can fully understand size and weight being a concern, I can't help but feel those panels are way over priced. Any idea what the cell/module efficiency rating is? If it's very high it would make a bit more sense, odd they don't post it.
As I said, I got them at a very significant discount. Even so they were a poor value per watt, but worth it for me given the significant space constraints and not wanting much weight on the roof. The maker did claim high efficiency, but I don't have numbers. The watts per area and especially watts per pound are pretty good. Call them if you want to know more. One of the reasons I went with them was that they are made in the USA and the guy on the phone was not a customer service drone but someone involved the manufacturing and could just walk into the factory to talk to the actual fabricators.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I mounted an 70 watt flexible solar panel to my son's 1977 Scamp 13 with VHB tape. The installation was similar to mine, well documented on the site.

The panels weigh virtually nothing, are not visible to potential thieves, are actually unstealable, have little effect on aerodynamics though are slightly more espensive but require no frames or thru holes other than four two wires.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I bought 2 of these pannels on EBAY and I put them on the roof through the roof emergency hatch when I need them.
Solar Panel 30 Watt 12 Volt Mono Crystalline Cells | eBay

2 of these worked well for my single group 27 battery

Tags
solar