Louver vent cover for AC? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #1

Name: Jamie
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Louver vent cover for AC?

We are about to install an AC unit in a vintage Casita that was not equipped with AC. I have my plan however we are having trouble tracking down a louver vent cover for the outside of the hole we need to make, can anyone point me to anyone who sells them?
saucesquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Do you mean the metal louvered vent or the vinyl cover that goes over it?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Is this a roof mount or wall mount?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #4

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
A/C Grille

I recently noticed that the round grill on my 2007 Casita’s roof mounted A/C had disappeared. The shroud was still in place and the grille’s two “ears” were still in place serving (somewhat) as fasteners for the top sides of the shroud but the grille itself was “ripped off”.

I found several web references for the replacement grille but, unfortunately, each of the web sites advised me that (a) they could not order the part from their vendor or (b) the part was obsolete.

Rather than pursuing a replacement shroud, I fashioned a replacement for the grille using ¼" vinyl-coated hardware cloth and 1/16" x ½" aluminum bars. I trimed the hardware cloth to size and folded ½" of the hardware cloth under the aluminum bars on all four sides. I then bolted thru the aluminum bars into the shroud with #6 bolts & lock washers to hold the replacement grille in place on the shroud. Finally, I used 6" strips of flat 1 3/8" slotted flat steel bar to replace the two “ears” to hold the shroud in place on the frame of the A/C unit. See attached pic.

In lieu of the hardware cloth, you might want to substitute something like this stainless steel wire mesh.

Could that work?
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement AC Grille.jpg  
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucesquatch View Post
We are about to install an AC unit in a vintage Casita that was not equipped with AC. I have my plan however we are having trouble tracking down a louver vent cover for the outside of the hole we need to make, can anyone point me to anyone who sells them?
Contact Casita and buy one from them. They are still doing this method on their 16 foot models.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #6

Texas
Thanks for all the quick responses, I should have been more specific...

I’m looking for the metal vent so the air conditioner can exhaust the hot air. I suppose I should call Casita but I wasn’t seeing anything on the website.

For my application I would like to put a standard size like what is on newer Casitas next to the door to vent for the fridge but I would also like a smaller vent roughly 5”x24”. My plan is for the smaller vent is to put that in higher up and power two small exhaust fans to push hot air out. So my hope is that I could find a matching pair so they look nice.

I should also mention this is going on the side above my fridge.

Larry, I like your idea to make it and frame it, i just want to get the get the most waterproof solution possible.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #7

Southwest Ohio
Registry
A/C Condensate?

Interesting approach. In my Casita, the space above the fridge is for the microwave and the microwave is vented internally above my sink.

The external vents for my Casita's fridge are plastic material, not metal. I'm not sure about the Casita implementation that Thrifty Bill referenced.

One final thought: Don't forget about the condensate that the A/C will generate. In my case, since the A/C is on the roof, the condensate simply rolls off the Casita.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #8

Texas
Thanks Larry, we have been thinking about that and I think we are going to fiberglass a drain pain right under the AC unit. Oils be a lot of work but should be the most waterproof to get all the condensation water to drain properly.

The more I think about it ideally I would be able to get an access panel with the louvered vents just in case I need to get back there.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #9

Texas
Think I found what I’m looking for Dometic makes a verity of vent hatches for fridges that I think will work for me.

Here is a site I found with a good variety of what they offer
Refrigerator Repair Parts - Dometic Refrigerator Repair Parts - Dometic Refrigerator Vents - GetRVParts
Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #10

Southwest Ohio
Registry
Comparing my Casita's exterior fridge vents to the GetRV Dometic refrigerator repair parts, I think that my lower vent is 3109350011. My lower vent's interior contains the number "T1221646" and a partially worn off number that ends in "0011". The interior part number on the upper vent is completely worn off but it looks like 3109492003.

The vents are visible in my profile picture to the left of the Casita's door.