love my new boler but there is one problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
canada n.s
love my new boler but there is one problem

Hey guys ! after reading the forms for a bit i've decided that an old 13' boler is the right thing for me. so i picked up what i do believe is a 77 boler and i love it !. I bought it more for work than pleasure ... i work in the film industry and it's nothing for us to work a 16 hour day drive home sleep for 4 hours and come back to work. so i thought that i might buy a boler so i could have a place to crash closer to set . its been working out really good but there is only one problem a shower ! ... it wold be really nice to have a shower lol . ive been trying to come up with creative ways to put in a shower ... im not in to showering out side just because its soon going to be cold and ide rather not shower in front of people leaving work lol. So i came up with a weird one ... people that live in china and places with a high population normally have little room to live in soo they turn there hole bathroom in to a shower and have a drain in the floor . could i not some how do this in my little trailer?? does any one have any ideas about how a fella could go about something like this or any other ideas about showers

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mllWT8JYs8...0/P1040281.JPG

thx so much Tim
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Tim, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here.

I'll leave the answer to your question to those that have done it, but wanted to take the time to say

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #3

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Welcome! You may want to contact Dylan as he has installed a shower in his unit and may have some suggestions.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/members/dylanear-29371.html
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As an idea, you might look at circular shower curtains, with a built in shower head, like this one:
Circular Shower Curtain Rod review | buy, shop with friends, sale | Kaboodle
and a kiddie pool to stand in (Before you add a large enough shower pan $$$)

We use a shower tent ($65) and a ZODI camp shower ($25 at a yard sale, Yea!) for nice hot showers right outside the front door.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When I made my outside shower I used a doggie wading pool for a bottom. It is about 3 feet in diameter. I made a curtain rod from 1/2" PVC pipe by running hot water through it until it was soft, then bending into into a circle. Curtains from Dollar Tree.

I think someone used spring tension rods across the camper to hold up the circular shower curtain rod. If you want to get fancy, use a small 12 volt bilge pump top remove the water to the sink.

Amazon.com: Shoreline Marine Bilge Pump 600 GPH: Sports & Outdoors
Old 09-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our Uhaul privacy room is that. The room, while having a sink and a potty, is also a shower.

In our 13' Burro, the hubby used 4 shower curtains, a big plastic tub, PVC piping that he shaped into a square as a shower curtain rod, and one of the portable camping showers to make something that we set up in the middle of the camper. We hung it from the ceiling.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #7

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
Hi Tim
You will find a wealth of ideas from many people on this site, that for sure. You just need to choose what best for you.
Here is a link to one that I'm thinking of building.

http://www.softsmart.com/popup/PortableShower.html
and
http://www.softsmart.com/popup/PermanentShower.html

Hope it gives you some ideas
Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespnd View Post
Hi Tim
...Here is a link to one that I'm thinking of building.
The first link one has some really interesting possibilities. Thanks!
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
go to a home building supply center, they have what is called a shower floor pan. basicly a plastic tray. i think it will be too large for your purpose but it will give you the right direction to look. now in truth, the rv industry has these complete with toilet mount but it sounds like you want to do your own , so here is an idea.
for a few dollars you can buy a small piece of black plastic pond liner.it may come in colors too,i don't know. with that you can make a waterproof liner that will extend up your walls 5 or 6 inches, mount you toilet if you want in there and put a drain in to remove the water. next you have to go under the trailer and install a holding tank, or plumb a pipe to allow you to use a portable holding tank.....
or ,,, join the ymca, most places have them and you can just run over there for a shower. or some other exercise club.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
another alternative is a small shower tent, like a free standing ice fishing tent.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I've heard of some folks hanging their shower curtain from a hula hoop. If you can figure a way to keep the hula hoop up there, that is.

Lots of possibilities for a catch tray. An 18 gallon tote (rubbermaid or other brand) could work, just tuck the bottom of the curtain into it while you stand in it.

Heat your water on the stove in a large pot, then use a 12v pump/showerhead thing (I've seen them on ebay).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #12

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Years ago, I was in Switzerland and was fascinated by the little hotel that we stayed in. In the bathroom there was a toilet, sink, a shower head mounted on the wall and a drain in the floor.

Probably not at all practical if it is even possible, but, When I read your post I envisioned this: Fiberglass the interior floor really good with a slight fall toward the drain (that is placed in a corner so you can catch the grey a bucket, easily reached from the side of the trailer). The drain needs to have a plug (to keep bugs and critters out when your clean) . Make certain that your galley side and closet side are well sealed, waterproof with tight doors, hang a shower curtain at each end of the galley, one in front of the rear bed and one just before the door. Hook up a hand held shower head to your kitchen faucet and shower away.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
No one likes cold water poured, sprayed or dribbled on their dreams but there is the question of collection and disposal. If the hole in the floor will work for you in the lawless and underpopulated wilderness of the set, more power to you, but good luck as eventually John Law will stop by to tell you that the original percolation method from the Garden of Eden is no longer considered savory or safe. As John W. suggests, go for a holding tank on the undercarriage or portable water tote on the ground underneath with flex hose bayonet attachment and ONLY an air bleeder hole in the tank.

Say, it suddenly occurs to me that folks with an outdoor shower (whether it's an actual "modesty enclosure" or merely a wand tucked into an external cmptmt) never really say how they dispose of the water. Do you just upend the kiddy pool when you're done? For those with the wand, do you pretend you're rinsing your feet before going in the pool? Is the burden of legal oversight eased if you don't use soap? This is a real grey [water] area in my estimation.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Say, it suddenly occurs to me that folks with an outdoor shower (whether it's an actual "modesty enclosure" as suggested here) or those with a wand tucked into an external cmptmt never really say how they dispose of the water. Do you just upend the kiddy pool when you're done?..........
jack
We tip the kiddy pool and collect the water into a bucket. Bucket gets dumped into the sink then into the grey water tank, which in my UHaul is free standing. I dump it into a toilet or a dump station depending on location. For inside a trailer, I recommended the 12 volt bilge pump into the sink.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #15

Delaware
Tom has come clean. Anyone want to put down the ducky and pick up the outside shower wand? Decanting all this waste water would surely enhance the attractiveness of sanitary wipes!

jack
Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #16

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Jack, you just had to go and force me back into reality. I was just imagining. At least I put a bucket under the drain to collect the grey water. Your point is well taken and your words are charming to read. Thanks for diving in.

Cathy
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hmmm...

So how do y'all handle greywater disposal when washing the car/trailer? Seems like the nasties in that water would be a bigger problem than the shampoo in the shower water....
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #18

Delaware
Francesca, the whole thing is a wash. After the greenthumbers get done cheming the lawn next door, it's enuf to make you run off. Thanks for the kind words, Cathy, and trust the bug is gradually recovering from the "chicken pox" and other maladies.

jack
Old 09-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #19

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Our shower tent has a berm around the base to contain the gray water, with a drain fitting at one side. We try to ask when we check in about using an outside shower and try to put it on a gravel area, or run a 1" drain hose to somewhere with better drainage. When it's not possible/allowed to drain, we scoop it up into a pail and dump it in an approved area.
FWIW: The average shower (for us anyway) usually takes less than a gallon of water and there are eco friendly body soaps available.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
canada n.s
hey guys thx so much for all the ideas ! after seeing rick g s thred about his set up I was really impressed. and that's exactly what im going to make !
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler