Love your memory foam? How thick? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Love your memory foam? How thick?

Last year when we first got the Boler, I had new cushions made, and asked for high density foam. Dinette only 4 inches thick. Turned out to be too firm, so this year we threw a Sears memory foam, one of the wavy ones, on top every night, and it was great. But it was a nuisance to store every day, so I'm wanting new full memory foam cushions now..everyone seems to love them! How thick should I buy, if it is to be the whole thickness of the cushion, and not just the topper? Thanks!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Well...I don't think memory foam alone is suitable for cushions. It is too soft and mushy. I guess if you could find a five pound density it might work. I just added memory foam to my existing foam but I'm a bit of a princess and the pea type of person. Plus I didn't have to make new covers because I'm using tucked and safety pinned covers.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #3

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
On my rear sleeping area, when the cushions are laid out, they tended to separate during the night and was uncomfortable for me. I really was considering a memory foam topper to lay over the top. After contemplating and comparing prices, I found that walmart had the best prices, but after going into the store and actually feeling the memory foam I decided against it, instead I just bought the standard egg crate type foam topper for $16 at walmart (I think the 4" memory foam was going to be like $129). I can say that I am really pleased with the standard queen sized egg crate foam topper, it has just enough hangover that when the fitted sheet is used it holds everything together very nicely for me, and it's very comortable.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
I thought it would be a nuisance to store a separate topper during the day, as we do put the beds away during the day. I was hoping to have the cushion all one piece. I wonder if some webbing straps would keep the cushions from separating?
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Since there are now only the two of us, we have converted the table area into a permanent bed with a two person dinette where the bunks used to be. With a 2 inch memory foam covering the old cushons I sleep better than on the queen sized matress at home. Just can't roll as far.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
We love the memory foam 2" topper. It rolls up and stashes on the front bunk during the day with the bedding. I sleep on the front bunk to accomodate a CPAP machine and I (envious of the foam topper my wife had ) replaced the mattress with 3" memory foam. Great!...One warning however...that stuff freezes into a rock-like consistency in sub zero weather, and takes a long time to thaw! We travel to Florida in January and last year in a real cold snap we were unable to sleep in the TT en route south- the rolled up topper was frozen into a roll, and the bunk mattress was like a slab of ice! Hello Days Inn!
For the rest, however, it is marvellous. If you are replacing the foam in the backrest part of the front bunk, be advised that it is heavier and not stiff like the OE foam and will not stand straight without tethers or hooks or such.
Alistair & Inge in The Road Toad
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote