Make your own bed ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Make your own bed ideas

Ok, I have tried several different options and have not been satisfied with any of them. I have a CT-13, I currently use the couch cushions, the problem I have is they separate and my elbow or knee ends up on the hard fiberglass and it is very uncomfortable (even trying to use a fitted sheet to hold them together. So I tried to cover them with standard egg crate foam and that helped a little, but still not satisfied. I now have them covered with some of those thick foam floor tiles you see that lock together (some people have used them on the walls. I cut them to shape and they work pretty good.

Right now I plan to get rid of the cushions, use the foam tiles (cut to shape), then cover with memory foam (cut to shape). I think I'll need a "full" to be sure I have enough. I am wondering if 2.5 inch topper would be enough, rather use that then spend the extra cash on a 4 inch if I don't need it. I'm thinking with the foam underneath and also maybe the egg crate foam, I'll be able to get away with the 2.5 (the one in the store at Wallyworld). Anybody use this memory foam for the bed?
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #2

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
I have a topper this thickness in the house. I would not sleep comfortably on this alone.
However, the topper is very, very comfortable on top of an old, hard and lumpy futon.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

Ohio
Registry
So maybe I leave the cushions and use the topper? This might be an option too.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We were missing one cushion to complete the rear bed so bought a 5" thick piece of foam and cut it to shape. Never tried memory foam but from asking another camper who had a Scamp he said it wasn't good in cold weather. We tend to move around sleeping so the memory foam wouldn't work for us, others like it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Foam is very exspensive, I have found a throw-away mattress that someone did not want. The top mattress is foam inside. So I cut the quilted cover off the old mattress and Wallah... then used the cushions as a pattern laying them on top of foam and cut the foam with an electric carving knife. I'll cover it with a mattress pad. But someone in another forum earlier cut their foam in two pieces and slip covered them so they could roll them up and use the dinette during the day. I will be keeping mine in a bed position always.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #6

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
I just bought a new Scamp and the wife says b/4 we can use it we need 4" of foam, the one I'm looking at in W-mart is about $100. I'm waiting to see how yours turns out.
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #7

Ohio
Registry
LOL, thanks a lot, I won't be getting mine until spring.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We use a 2" memory foam pad on top of a 4" memory foam pad in our Kodiak, no mattress, and it's very comfortable. We have a TempurPedic memory foam mattress at home and it is not cold in winter. Warms up faster than a regular mattress. We have a 6" memory foam mattress from Walmart in our Egg Camper and it's very comfortable.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Not sure how yours go together, but in the trailers we have had, we sewed the cushion edges together with a transition piece of the same material where we could so we wouldn't have that problem. For example, often the back and the seat cushions are laid down side by side for the bed. We joined them. A line of velco edging may work for theones that can't be joined.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
james----if the main problem you are having is that the cushions won't stay securely in place, have you ever considered purchasing a piece of under-rug non-slip "waffly stuff"....you must know the product i am so eloquently describing! perhaps it would serve to stop the slide of your cushions. it won't make those same cushions any thicker.......but it might secure them.
just a thought.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #11

Ohio
Registry
No, the main problem is they are not comfortable and don't provide enough padding, the secondary problem is that they separate which adds to uncomfort. I know that I want memory foam I'm just trying to decide if saving a few bucks on a 2.5 inch is worth it. I am leaning towards a 4 inch memory foam combo with cotton cover, they run about $109. I'll cut it to shape, then insert the egg crate foam I already have cut and the dense foam mats and insert everything into the cotton cover (making a layered matress). The extra space from removing the extraneous material should provide enough room in the cotton cover to zip it all in. That is my current plan.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I started out with a Walmart 2" memory Foam Topper on top of the seating cushions in my Escape 17. The cushions were far too hard for comfortable sleeping (of course, they should be since they are designed for the area of a persons butt, not lying down). In any case, I found the Walmart topper "too squishy" (for lack of a better word) and eventually gave it away, switching to a 2" topper from Bed & Bath. Wish I could remember the brand - all I can remember is it came in a beige & yellow cardboard box. That one worked great, although stuffing it into it's tightly fitted cover in a campground was an interesting experience!

Since then I've developed some stomach problems that are more comfortable with a sloped bed. Rather than tilting the whole trailer and since I travel as a single & leave the rear table set up as a bed permanently, I replaced the cushions with a fairly soft tapered foam mattress purchased from Walmart (a Simmons Beautyrest Geo-Incline Foam Topper that is 5" thick at the top & 1" at the bottom). I put the topper on the mattress and rebuilt the cover so it enclosed both pieces. I haven't put it back in the trailer, but is is quite comfortable on the living room floor.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #13

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Go to Ikea and buy a foam bed.

Try them all out and choose one that is from 3 to 5 inches thick. The twin, which I have or the full will fit perfectly lengthwise. The beds are less expensive than buying foam. The cover unzips so that you can trim the corners then re-zip the cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2973037614.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	43567
I just sent a very comfortable weekend in this bed.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #14

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
sorry, james---when i read your post you identified the problem as the cushions separating ...
but in our trailer, i bought memory foam on sale 1 1/2 inch thick---and it was such a good sale that i bought 2....because the 3 inch foam was not on sale and worked out to be a savings of almost $50 by buying 2.
sounds like what you have planned is a good solution. we love our memory foam but just remember---it goes SOLID like a rock in cold temps. don't know where you'll be camping, but if you do head somewhere where it'll be chillier, don't take a running jump up onto the bed!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #15

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Go to Ikea and buy a foam bed.

Try them all out and choose one that is from 3 to 5 inches thick. The twin, which I have or the full will fit perfectly lengthwise. The beds are less expensive than buying foam. The cover unzips so that you can trim the corners then re-zip the cover.

Attachment 43567
I just sent a very comfortable weekend in this bed.
Very cute and cozy!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #16

Ohio
Registry
I stopped at Walmart and used some gift cards and purchased the 4" Canopy full size. It has pretty good reviews.

Walmart.com: Canopy Hypoallergenic 4" Memory Foam Mattress Topper: Furniture

Designed with two layers, a 2-inch base foam and 2-inch high-density visco elasticity memory foam layer. This memory foam mattress pad has a removable, hypoallergenic, 100% cotton cover that is machine washable.

Full: 52" W x 73" L x 4" D

I almost got one this one which I think is a much better unit, 3 inches of 4 lb memory foam with a 300 thread count cotton cover. But it was about $50 more and I figured the cheaper one would probably work.
Aerus Natural 3" Memory Foam Topper - Walmart.com
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #17

Ohio
Registry
I'll post up some pics and a review when I get it installed this weekend.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #18

Ohio
Registry
My bed solution, I put the dense foam puzzle pieces on the bottom, then cut the 2" memory foam/2"regular foam to shape, I also used the egg crate foam I already had cut and put that inside the cotton cover that came with the memory foam. It was very comfortable, we "tested" it last night and my son and I slept on it. I am a big guy and it supported me fine, it was very comfortable.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #19

Ohio
Registry
One additional mod is I used left over foam tiles and cut them into 8" strips and hot glued them around the perimeter of the vertical walls of the bed, this is to prevent condensation and water buildup in the foam to prevent mold problems. I have noticed that the bedcover feels damp after about a week of changing temps, I can see that this might cause a mold problem so the foam should prevent it.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
How about using Velcro? Either between the cushions or underneath to help keep them together. There are sew on or self stick types available.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote