Making Curtains.....Help! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #15

Trailer: My 4th Trillium
Winnipeg
Hi have done a few trailers in the past and found that if you use a darkening fabric as a backer the curtains hang better and help to keep the sun out. I was just at a fabric shop today looking for new material for the cushions and I was looking at the outdoor fabric for umbrellas uv resistant and stain resistant. I did not find any prints that I like though.As in the past I will get a local hutterite colony to sew all the cushion covers and curtains. Those ladies know there way around a sewing machine, and they do not charge much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
So I have decided to tackle making some new curtains for the Trillium. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much fabric I will need to do a complete set of curtains. Also any tips would be appreciated!!! Thanks

Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Good for you for wanting to change the look of your trailer interior with DIY curtains! You have already received some great advice; cut fabric 1 1/2 to 2 times the width, line with muslin or white fabric, match the washing instructions for both the interior and lining fabrics. I like to make curtain panels while keeping the original off-white fabric curtains that came with the Scamp.Novelty fabric patterns can be overwhelming if used all around a small space.

Be sure to pre-wash all the fabrics so they don't shrink in the future. I created tie-backs that fasten to the rat fur walls with the hook side of hook and loop (Velcro) fabric. I made "shades" (of Ron-Loc, a block out material) that hand roll on a dowel placed on top of the curtain rod holders. See photos.

The light fabric is the same in both photos. They just photographed differently. The two photos show different fabric designs. My Southwest motif is accessorized with matching pillows, fleece throw blankets and stuffed animals.

Have fun with glamping your rig!
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg   SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 006.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Items like changing curtains, flooring and upholstery are the things that will make your trailer uniquely your own. Be one of one, not one of many!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #18

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
Curtain ideas

Good tips on curtains, thank you. Especially like the idea of lining with the already Scamp curtains.
Norm and Ginny - pleasure to meet and talk with you in AZ! Great upgrades to your Scamp.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #19

Name: elli
Trailer: ordered parkliner
Wyoming
Next project idea...

I'm currently making quilted shades that will velcro onto the windows (under the curtains) using hand painted silk on the inside and insul brite batting (which has mylar in it ) and a neutral shade of linen on the outside. These will hopefully keep the cool air in or ...out when we need it. I got the idea from the screens that we attach to our boat cabin windows to keep the mosquitos out. I'll give you pictures and an update on how well they work once I've finished them up.

Good luck on your curtains - If you have old ones you can also measure them for dimensions. Seam allowances are generally around a half inch- pocket rods vary based on what you've got.
I'm sure you will do a fine job- You can always use some newspaper to make a pattern if that helps.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #20

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
My wife didn't want to respond...But the curtains she made for our 13.5

Bigfoot are gorgeous,, heavy lined, everyone raves about how perfect they look when she shows them to her friends. The problem. They are so heavy that they will not work they cannot be opened because they are so stiff and full ( I do not know the seamstress terms) very sad . chose fabrics with care. Think about the way the curtains hang, On the curve, where they hang straight down they reach my head when turning; I am speaking of the original from the factory, unlined, very thin. I don't know if Velcro at their bottoms would solve my oh well feeling
Old 01-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
North Dakota
I made new curtains for my Scamp last summer and I didn't exactly use a pattern, but one of the things I made sure to do was make sure that they were long enough, vertically. The original curtains, if anybody had been looking in my windows, would have showed more than I cared to be public. And like Norm and Ginny suggested, I used the original curtains as the template for the new curtains. I didn't line them, though I haven't hemmed things yet so I still could, but I did turn the lights on after the sun went down (while it was sitting in my driveway), and walked around it from various distances to make sure that nobody could see in. I'm planning to use "sun fading" as my excuse to redecorate and make new curtains in a couple of years.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #22

Name: elli
Trailer: ordered parkliner
Wyoming
Oh Kenny- so sorry she had such a frustrating experience- I have been doing something with textiles most of my life. Ironically it is much more challenging to work with layers and heavy materials in small space for just those reasons.It's super hard to know what you are going to get in the end. I give her a huge vote of confidence for making the leap to take on the project in the first place ! Now that she has made the first set the next time will be a piece of cake. I realized I jumped on your thread well after the fact but am newish to many of the forums as we just got our trailer this week.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #23

California
Registry
There are tons of tutorials on the Internet. Here's one I like for making lined curtains/drapes. You simply make the trailer curtains smaller than the sample in the DIY.
Sew Many Ways...: How To Make Lined Drapes...Picture Tutorial
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #24

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm having trouble deciding on the fabric now.......too many options - hahaha!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #25

California
Registry
Here's a previous FiberglassRV "thread" (pardon the pun) on fabrics, sewing and quilting. I think you'll enjoy it! Fabric and Quilts, Camping style
Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #26

Name: Robin
Trailer: Boler 13'
Ontario
Double the window width