Making cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Name: S&G
Trailer: 1977 Boler
British Columbia
Making cushions

I'm making our cushions for our 1977 Boler. Can anyone tell me what length their zippers are on the dinette seat cushions? I'm thinking a fairly long zipper for ease of on-off but was wondering what was "standard". The length of the back of my cushions (the rounded side) is 62.5", so I thought maybe 50" of zipper on that side and wrap it around the corner 10" or so?

If anyone could just measure their own, I'd totally appreciate it...!

Thanks,

s.

Sue
Sue and Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Make it as long as possible, otherwise you'll have a real fight on you hands trying to stuff the cushions.

Hint put the foam rubber in a plastic bag then slip the cover on leave the plastic bag on.
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As has been suggested longer is better. When I redid mine I made all my zippers longer than what they were. I would make them so they go completely down one of the long sides and at least half way around the curved ends - if possible go as far as you can around both ends and even further on the end where it will not be visible when the cushion is in place.

You can purchase the zippers by the foot from a large fabric store that sells a lot of upholstery material.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Graham View Post
I'm making our cushions for our 1977 Boler. Can anyone tell me what length their zippers are on the dinette seat cushions?

Sue

Sue I should have mentioned if you have not already started this project there is a party in Port Moody that will sew the cushions for you at a *very* reasonable price and does a very nice job of them. I did mine and in hind sight I should have had her do them as they were a pain to do!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #5

Name: S&G
Trailer: 1977 Boler
British Columbia
Thanks, Glen, for the suggestion on the plastic bags - I hadn't thought of that, but it serves a dual purpose of getting the covers on easier and maybe a little bit of built-in waterproofing. But maybe crinkly noisy... ?

Carol - I heard there was a person locally who would make cushions but, well, I guess I like a challenge. I thought, "How hard could it be??" Let's start with the first point being that I don't really sew...! I do, however, have a sewing machine and I did make a "test" cushion to see if I could really do it. Much to my - and hubby's - amazement, the cushion actually turned out. Yes, it involved watching YouTube videos and reading a book or two on how to make box cushions - not to mention the sewing machine manual on how to work the thing - but I got there. So now I'm kind of keen to do the rest of the cushions.

s.
Sue and Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #6

Registry
LOL oh I know the story all to well ROFL You go for it!

By the way the plastic bags that work the best are real light ones made of the plastic that covers your dry cleaning. Scamp puts them on their cushions and the foam was still in really good shape on mine as a result after 20 years. I tried to find some bags of the same plastic thickness to use on mine when I redid them and failed - found some that were close but they made a lot of sounds when you sat down. I ended up buying some off the local dry cleaner.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #7

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
If doesn't mater wether the plastic is a bag or just a sheet that wraps around the cushion Home depot sells Painters plastic in different thicknesses. Real thin and pretty cheap too.
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #8

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
I've been working on cushions for the trailer we just got, too. made up some parts that i could do before having it here to do actual measurements/templates and was finally able to start working on the rest today!

details, pictures, template making technique, etc. are here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post311253

oh yeah. didn't put it in that post, but since you asked about the zipper length, I plan on wrapping them 4-6 inches around the corners.
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #9

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
By the way the plastic bags that work the best are real light ones made of the plastic that covers your dry cleaning. Scamp puts them on their cushions and the foam was still in really good shape on mine as a result after 20 years...
Wish mine had them as with the front reno I had to take the foam out (upholstery was redone just before we bought and is lovely) so I could pick the seams apart to reuse the fabric. Real challenge getting it out! Will be using dry cleaner's bags when I reassemble them.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #10

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Carol........it looks like you have a Burro too? How did you figure out how to recover the ends of the back cushions where they go into the curve? Maybe velcro th pieces and connect them together? I'm ok with changing the bottom cushions but the cushions you use when you set up the table for sitting ave me stumped. Thanks!
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #11

Registry
Linda, not sure if I am the right Carol or not but I have a Scamp. I just resewed mine the way they came from Scamp originally. They are attached with a about a 5" piece of fabric attached between the two cushions. I could post a picture tomorrow of how they are done when I get a chance to get out to the trailer if you would like.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #12

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Sorry Carol....thought you had a Burro. Bonnie and Claude....do you have a Burro? If so, your top cushions curve don't they? Have you redone yours?
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #13

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Linda we have a Boler. Photos of our cushions are in the registry. (If you click on the link under our name on the left and select our trailer you will be redirected to the photos). The back cushions on the rear dinette are not curved. Ours had a large back cushion and a smaller side cushion that were not attached together. I've recently learned that many have the two pieces attached with a small strip of fabric which keeps them from sliding apart when you have the dinette down in the bed position.

If you meant the front end gaucho/sofa, the back cushion was indeed rounded and all in one piece.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #14

Registry
There is a photo here of how scamp attaches the two cushions together. Its hard to tell in the photo but there is actually about 2 1/3" to 3" of fabric (once sewn in) visible between the two cushions allowing them to bend around the rounded part of the trailer.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #15

Name: Stacy
Trailer: "79 Scamp "Tiny Tow"
Texas
The link for the reasonable cushion covers didn't work for me. Are they still in business? Thx
StacyJayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #16

Registry
Stacy her website appears to be down but she is a member here. She posted here email address etc on a thread in July called For Sale Brand New Boler Cushion covers that you should be able to contact here directly via email or through a PM to confirm she is still making them.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #17

Name: Stacy
Trailer: "79 Scamp "Tiny Tow"
Texas
Thank you for being so thoughtful with a reply. It may be a few month, but I'll probably track her down! Stacy
StacyJayT is offline   Reply With Quote