Making MORE use of Burro useless space - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
17 foot burro useless space annoyance # 2 (#1 was the Useless rear bench)

The cubby over the driver side wheel well.. it has a space directly above the wheel that is rather large and deep. Burro, in their wisdom.. decided to put in a drawer there. May have been a good idea if the drawer utilized all the space, top to bottom, and front to back.

They didn't. They made a drawer that is about 2 1/2 inches tall, plopped it on wooden rails and then set it back 6 inches. You had to bend over, look for the pull and slide the thing out. It promptly fell on your feet if you pulled it out far enough to access whatever you put in there that is only 2 inches tall. It was intended as a silverware drawer, I suppose, but because of the short slide out.. *useless*. I put paper and pens in there, not something I access a lot.

OK.. what does this have to do with a Wave 6 heater install, you ask (And why doesn't she just get to the point, you ask as well).

The door to this useless cubby is the closest flat surface to the center of the rig to hang the heater, AND it is reasonably close to existing gas lines. BUT.. if you hang the heater there.. you can't access the useless drawer or space below it on the side of the wheel well for storage.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #2

Registry
The solution: Hire a professional.

OK, I wouldn't normally do that, but I needed him to do a bunch of other things so I tossed this in as well. I don't like messing with gas lines, especially with sharp tools in my hands, and a heavy heater... so I told him what I wanted to do, and he had at it.

Here is the result

Attached Thumbnails
wave61.jpg   wave62.jpg  

wave63.jpg  
Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #3

Registry
The gas line is run from a "T" at the gas distribution center under the sink, it tapps off the same line that runs to my furnace.. which is the first thing I actually hired him to repair (It was just a circuit board, and it was something I could have done myself if I had known the actual cause of my woes.. but thats another thread) and then run acroos the space under the sink, under the useless cubby and out through a slot cut in the corner of the rear bench. The slot (Not a round hole) was required so the line and fitting would have somewhere to go when the door is swung open.

It will not open all the way, and that's a good thing. I was going to build in a "stop" if it did to prevent that. If it did, it could accidentally set the cushion on fire. More heat than I would like, me thinks.

It swing far enough to access the cubby, and to directly warm me, if a direct blast is required, right where I normally lounge.

Okey dokey.. the cubby.... I removed the silly drawer and tossed it on the burn pile. Then I extended the top of the "shelf" over the wheel so I would have full access to every square inch in there, plus have a usable space below.

Attached Thumbnails
wave64.jpg   wave65.jpg  

Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #4

Registry
To keep the thing from flopping around during towing, I used some spare parts from the shutter hinge kit I bought for making the stands on my solar panel.

I installed a knob on the side of the door, leaving it loose. It will not be used as a knob.. in this case, it's a latch.

I took one of the swingy little hookey latches and bent it so it would swing and catch on the right angle, and mounted it into the glass and wood right next to the existing catch on the cubby.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wave66.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	21017

I have had that door swing open during travel, even with the tight latch that's on it.

I just have to remember to latch it before I drive!

Next useless space to be tackled.. the space at the end of the gaucho.. it's gonna be Sticky's Room, and a new spot for my mini microwave.

I'll get this thing set up for full timing eventually!!
Attached Thumbnails
wave67.jpg  
Old 06-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I was wondering when a solar-friendly catalytic heater might make its appearance, Gina. Nice job . . .

I still think about installing a Wave 3 in the space under the stock furnace in our 5er . . . I added a second solar panel to make sure we have the juice to run our furnace, but not only do catalytic heaters have zero draw on the solar/battery setup, they're also more propane-gas-efficient and absolutely quiet!

Name:	08Jul05CabinetDoorsSS.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	21035
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #6

Registry
I will be adding a second battery dedicated to the furnace only, I actually prefer it to the cat heater when it is damp out.. but, thats a major project I don't feel like tackling now. We will see if what I have works first.

I bought the heater 3 mos ago.. just now got around to it.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
This looks very nice! I'm assuming the propane line to the Wave 3 is a piece of flexible line to allow the door to open?
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
This looks very nice! I'm assuming the propane line to the Wave 3 is a piece of flexible line to allow the door to open?
How many times do you expect the rubber gas hose to flex before it starts to create an exciting reaction? (BOOM)
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #9

Registry
I don't expect it will ever will.

It floats in the slot, so no friction there, and there is enough (+) slack where it comes around the corner to create zero stress on the line. The whole line simply moves backwards about 1/2 inch. Thats why I put a slot there instead of a round hole.

There are no right angles in the line anywhere in the install. Its like pushing your uncoiled water hose out of the way with your foot.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Nice mod! Much more effective use of space.

I'm looking forward to the Sticky jail. I wish mine were small enough for a built in jail. The L shape kitchen in the other 5th floor plan lends itself to a built in jail in the rear on one side. The floor plan we have it's a no go.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #11

Registry
Stickys jail is not going to be very elaborate. I am only going to extend the counter top to the front and build a swing up gate of lightweight meshed material. He is so old now the visual barriers stop him cold. He doesn't really put in the effort anymore, but sometimes he suprises me.

Relay will do what Gracie does.. you just look at her the right way and she runs into her Wal Mart Jail on her own. If she could close and latch the gate, she would Its really funny to watch. "Oh no.. I know whats coming, I'll just do it myself and save myself the humiliation"

You guys are clever, could you build a slide out under the bedroom? a Gracie slide out?
Old 06-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We are refining their outside jail under the overhead. We have been using their at home crates and an x-pen on fake grass carpet. We are talking about getting them one bigger two dog sized crate dedicated for camping. They are always trying to squash into one crate anyway.

Ya know we have two camping dogs now? We (Gracie) wanted to keep Ryder the dog we found in Jan. tied to a tree in a shopping center parking lot in the rain. She loves to have someone to play with and he thinks we are his savior. It's working out ok.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #13

Registry
under the overhead (Is that an oxymoron?) is a good place. Being out front of the road is OK?

You know me, I stash em in back where they are less likely to see the comings and goings.

Gracie gots a boyfriend! Woo hoo!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #14

Registry
Lex is spoiled.

Name:	07Jun26_Lex__s_Bedroom_384x512.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	21053
Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #15

Registry
Have you put in his HDTV yet?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Gina, Nice looking job, and its something I've been thinking about doing in my Horizon. I wish they made a quick connect for propane, at least I don't think they do. Because I've been thinking about storing my Wave in a closet , then taking it out when needed and connecting it (setting it on the floor with stand legs I have for it). But if it isn't something like a quick connect I just won't use it as much. And the Wave 6 is much bigger than the 3, so I'm not sure I would have a good place to mount it. I don't have a furnace in my camper either so I'll have to think of something pretty soon. I have both the 3&6 and will sell the one I don't use. Thanks for the pics.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Tim,
They make quick disconnect fittings, just Google them there are all kinds.

Bill K

Quote:
Gina, Nice looking job, and its something I've been thinking about doing in my Horizon. I wish they made a quick connect for propane, at least I don't think they do. Because I've been thinking about storing my Wave in a closet , then taking it out when needed and connecting it (setting it on the floor with stand legs I have for it). But if it isn't something like a quick connect I just won't use it as much. And the Wave 6 is much bigger than the 3, so I'm not sure I would have a good place to mount it. I don't have a furnace in my camper either so I'll have to think of something pretty soon. I have both the 3&6 and will sell the one I don't use. Thanks for the pics.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #18

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Quote:
Tim,
They make quick disconnect fittings, just Google them there are all kinds.

Bill K
Thanks Bill I will check into it. Tim
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #19

Registry
I tried out the whole works for a couple days this week. I may be in Arizona, but I am at elevation. It's hot during the day, and freezing at nite.

It did all I intended it to, including the storage solution, and I found a side benefit to the location I hadn't thought of... but it made itself readily noticeable.

The heater sits directly across from the nice big glass door on my bathroom. Glass door gets direct radiant heat, and heats up very evenly, and quickly... it very nicely warms the whole bathroom.. evenly. No cold spots! No cringing at turning the hot water off after a shower. I don't have to get out of the bathroom to dry off to stay warm. No shivering on the, er, throne, in the morning!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #20

Registry
That sounds lovely. Better than a heated toilet seat!

Tags
burro