Making portable solar panels less annoying - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Lisa, when I spoke with sun on the phone, they said these were multi crystalline.. I googled multi and poly then and came up with the answer they are the same.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Thank you, Gina, for clarifying what kind of panels they are. They looked like multicrystalline to me but the website did not make that apparent.

Bill,

In answer to your questions, I've been accumulating lots of LED fixtures from superbright.com and other retailers. When finished, my trailer will be a virtual beacon. I even have outdoor LEDs to go around the dog enclosures. I do not have a furnace but will eventually add this. I'd like to go electric with the heater if the solar panel will support one. In the mean time, I'm going to use use my Coleman Fat Cat propane heater. My other electrical draw will be my computer, which I use extensively for work and entertainment purposes. I want to use the laptop as a TV monitor as well. I'd also like to run some computer speakers and an IPOD docking station. My battery is a Marine Deep Cycle group 27 battery.

My brother has an 80 watt panel that I tapped into one week when I was camping and working on report cards out in the desert. I worked on the laptop for 6 hour stretches at a time and kept needing to recharge it. After using the solar panel to recharge the laptop, my brother was only left with 1.5 hours of energy to light his trailer and watch TV. While I'm aware that 120 watts may be overkill, I don't want to feel like my normal activities and work habits will be restricted while boondocking, but I also don't want to spend $1300 for a solar system and all the accoutrements. With the generous help from people like you and others on this website, I hope to learn what I should purchase that will meet my needs in a cost effective manner.
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 AM   #23

Registry
you also might want to consider jumping up (?) :-P to the wally world group 29 at 125aH.. it's only 90 bones.

I got one the other day, it does just barely squeeze into a group 27 box as advertised and it is heavy, but not so heavy that I can't lift it.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Thank you, Gina, for clarifying what kind of panels they are. They looked like multicrystalline to me but the website did not make that apparent.

Bill,

In answer to your questions, I've been accumulating lots of LED fixtures from superbright.com and other retailers. When finished, my trailer will be a virtual beacon. I even have outdoor LEDs to go around the dog enclosures. I do not have a furnace but will eventually add this. I'd like to go electric with the heater if the solar panel will support one. In the mean time, I'm going to use use my Coleman Fat Cat propane heater. My other electrical draw will be my computer, which I use extensively for work and entertainment purposes. I want to use the laptop as a TV monitor as well. I'd also like to run some computer speakers and an IPOD docking station. My battery is a Marine Deep Cycle group 27 battery.
Hi Lisa,
The incandescant light bulbs you are in the process of eliminating draw somewhere around 7 Watts each, but a small electric heater typically draws at least 1500 watts so you may not have room on the roof of your trailer for enough panels to run that one and your axle probably wouldn't support the weight of all the batteries you would need. Stick with propane for heating and cooking. The computer and TV are OK. I went with 115 Watt hoping that it will do the job even on overcast days with it mounted flat on the roof(inefficient position). BTW I think solar and cost efficient may not be compatible.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #25

Registry
its actually Dennis asking.. posting on Lisa's account.

Dennis, the absolute best way to use your computer in power critical situations (As in.. you may run out!) is to charge the battery with the computer off, and run the comp off the internal battery only. Thats what your comp battery was designed to do, and charging it while there is no other draw on it is relatively benign to your trailer battery. You are trickle charging that way, not powering it.

As a matter of fact, I don't even USE my trailer to charge mine. I actually have a 100w inverter that I use in my car, not my trailer. I run the battery down to nothing in the comp, and plug it into the car (Off.. car and comp, of course) give it an hour or so and I am back up and running again. I also don't have the slightest concern about my car battery that way. Every time I start my car, whatever minute amount used is recharge in short order.. with the trailer, I can only charge during the daylight.

For travel, I use an Acer netbook that can run for 8+ hours on a charge, but I use a full sized laptop the same way.

I use the car because its neater than having the power supply and inverter lying around in a small space.

Solar can be VERY cost effective once you get past the initial investment. And it need not be expensive (Relatively) to make that investment. The price keeps coming down as the technology and manufacturing methods improve. My 115 watts + all the stuff that goes with it to run it properly was under 500 US. If I had gone with mono crystalline panels, it would have been much higher.. but consider that application... we are not trying to feed back power to the grid, we are powering travel trailers. The 120 watt panel you are looking at cost even less than my 2 50 watt ones, and they are the same type of panels.

With solar, in the long term, once you are done.. you are done. No gas, no maintenance, no repairs. Thus, no additional costs.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
With solar, in the long term, once you are done.. you are done. No gas, no maintenance, no repairs. Thus, no additional costs.
I've been waiting for the prices of solar panels to go down and the efficiency to go up. It appears the time has arrived. Solar energy is a beautiful thing! It's so cool that once you have your system set up, you'll never have to go to the gas station to refill a tank or pay an energy bill again. I love the notion of being completely self sufficient.

Also, I wanted to say that I really appreciate all the support and patience that you folks provide neophytes like me.

Thank you,
Lisa

PS-
Who's Dennis?
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:06 PM   #27

Registry

Dennis is theresa ps.... er, hubby?

Sorry!... I am easily confused!!!!

Tags