Man Storage on carrier - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Man Storage on carrier

Well I finally finished my new storage and carrier Mod. I had been using a couple of plastic storage bins and I would store them in the camper before traveling and after set up I would transfer them to the back of my truck. I took a regular carrier and added rails around and custom fit the rails around the spare tire. I then purchased a water proof lockable truck storage box from Tractor Supply. I mounted the box to the carrier with bolts. I then added new LED trailer lights (Due to the box blocked my rear lights), mounting them flush inside the edge of the carrier. I then wired a new trailer plug by hooking into the wiring under the carpet at the inside rear of the camper. That took the most time because I had to use a wire tester and go back and forth from the truck to the inside wiring to find the correct wire for the brakes, signals and running lights. After hooking up the trailer plug I wired the carrier lights to plug into the camper trailer plug. If you notice I had to mount the box higher in the rack due to my 2" receiver I welded on the carrier. That receiver holds my aluminum fishing cart and carrier when I head to the beach. Wheeeeea! So, now I can leave all my outside man stuff in the carrier and I don't have to transfer it back and forth.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #2

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Thank goodness! I thought you had a man in that box!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And next, are you going to add a 13' Scamp to your train for a man cave ???

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Now, how are you going to remove the spare tire if you get a flat?
I have a cross-style lug wrench and found that I couldn't turn it without hitting the box on the back of my trailer.
I since removed the u-bolts that held the box to the rack and use a cable lock and ratchet strap to secure it. That way, I don't have to empty the box and remove the u-bolts to remove the box to access the spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage box.jpg   box secure 2.jpg  

Old 06-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #5

13 Scamp for a man cave. Now Bob there's an idea. LOL Already thought about the spare tire access Glenn. I have it bolted with two bolts. One on each side. If I do get a flat. It would take me less than 5 minutes to unbolt and remove the box.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Looks nice Ted! Now do you get much sway with a trunk out back on a 5th wheel then say a trailer like mine?

I'm not missing mine so much now! Got it off Craigslist for $200! I added a pair of locking handles on the rear and 2 new 3rd brakelight bulbs...so the misc camping stuff is going in there and my generator while I'm driving...so if I pull in late at a truckstop I don't have to climb over it anymore!
Attached Thumbnails
2010NissanFrontierCap.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #7

No sway at all. Of course If I loaded it down with a lot of weight it might be different. I keep all the stuff I need for outside work, tools etc. It will be nice to not have to load and unload my stuff now.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #8

I contacted my local decal shop this morning and got him to make me a scamp decal to fit into the tractor supply sign on my box. I took out the tractor supply and added my new Scamp decal.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Looks great!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
That looks great Ted! It looks like you thought of everything. When I saw the TSC label in the first picture, I was thinking it would look better without it. Changing it to read "Scamp" looks much better. I think the box would come in handy to secure stuff that might take a walk when you're out and about biking, canoeing, hiking, etc. It's also a good place to store cooking items that don't need refrigeration while gone or at night away from the raccoon sized critters. Nice!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Looks like it may obscure your license plate, not good.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #12

License Plate Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Looks like it may obscure your license plate, not good.
You know that's why I like this site. As Jim pointed out my license plate was hidden by my storage box. So, we are leaving to go gold mining/camping on Tuesday and I remounted my plate today so it was once again visible. Thanks Jim for the notice.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You also need a light on the license plate so that it is visible at night, can you run a wire from the tail light over and attach a small bulb or just do not drive at night….
Old 08-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #14

Michigan
I can see it all the way here in Illinois, Ted! Good job.

Tom
Old 08-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You also need a light on the license plate so that it is visible at night, can you run a wire from the tail light over and attach a small bulb or just do not drive at night….
I was searching in Amazon for license plate frames for our trailer and came across one that featured LED lights that lit the plate for night driving. I think it used AA batteries. Or... you could just show the officer your own L.E.O. ID and keep on truckin' .

Tom
Old 08-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #16

Yea I was thinking about the plate light. But decided to pass for now. I have never heard of anyone being stopped for no license plate light. At least not in N.C. If I ever get stopped for that; I will then add one.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #17

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
I was once given a ticket because one of two lights were burned out on my plate :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Brandiwhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #18

Wow, I guess were more laid back in N.C. Was that in Texas?
Maybe I will install one when I return from my trip this week.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I solved the problem on my trailer by using LED License Plate Bolts. Simple taped into the rear lights for the power. You can buy them at most Motorcycle or ATV shops.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #20

Maybe I will get one of theses for the Scamp license plate light.