Matress Condensation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

Name: Handley
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Matress Condensation

First night out on out expedition to Florida in February it was cold. Like a 3 dog night and all we had was our little Jack Russel Terrier. We have a full time bed with 2 layers of 3 inch foam rubber. In the morning, the bottom layer was saturated with standing water on the table top. This only in the middle, under our hips. I thought it was from the foam being wet from when my brother had used it in his trailer. I threw the old foam away, bought a new 4 inch mattress topper from Walmart and trimmed it to fit. Cold again the next night and the table top was wet again. I bought a plastic mattress protector and installed it over the upper sheet of foam between the mattress pad and the foam mattress. It serves as a vapor barrier and solved the problem.
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #2

Registry
Condensation happens when in these little trailers when there's no air movement. Bet you had the trailer sealed up as tight as you could get it. I've been 5°F weather didn't have that kind of problem.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

Name: Handley
New York
The window and vent were cracked open and the condensation was not bad on the windows. Only under the mattress. It rained a bit (about 35 degrees) and I thought there was a leak but no evidence of that. It is possible the moisture was in the foam from snow blowing into my brother's trailer. Anyway, the vapor barrier solved the problem.
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I know of some camper owners using a product called Hypervent under the mattress to eliminate condensation. Look for it at Hypervent Marine
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If condensation forms under the cushions there's a good chance there's moisture within the cushions. When you get home from camping, be sure to set the cushions up on the thin edge to allow air flow and maybe use a dehumidifier like Dri-Z-Air. Moldy cushions are icky.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #6

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If condensation forms under the cushions there's a good chance there's moisture within the cushions. When you get home from camping, be sure to set the cushions up on the thin edge to allow air flow and maybe use a dehumidifier like Dri-Z-Air. Moldy cushions are icky.
And when you have the first warm, sunny day, throw them outside in the sun. Nature can often fix its own issues. I occasionally cook my pillows with sunshine too.
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote