Max Air 2 anybody have one? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Max Air 2 anybody have one?

Looking at adding a Max air 2 vent cover on my fantastic fan. Anybody have one? Pictures? Thanks
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Fantastic Fan does not recommend using a vent cover on their product.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Yeah, well, just don't tell them you did it.

When I got my trailer I knew I wanted a vent fan. I went with the Maxx Fan that has the fan above the trailer in the cover, figuring that way it would move air more freely than one that had to blow against a cover above it. Then i put a Maxx cover over the other (fanless) vent so air could come in while the other one sucked out. Works good.

Aaron, the cover could reduce airflow some. But I don't think it will hurt the FF, unless maybe if you ran it on high a lot. JMO.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #4

Michigan
We are on the same page Mike. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #5

Name: Dennis & Linda
Trailer: Leocraft 17ft fiberglass rv by Monarch Industries
Ontario
Registry
Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth regarding the fantastic fan cover. Last summer 2010 we added a fantastic fan to our 17 ft Leocraft. We found that we needed a cover when it rained. A local rv dealer here in Kitchener happened to have a cover that is actually recommended by the fantastic fan manufacturer. It has twice the vent openings allowing more than enough air flow both in and out. We find no slowing in fan speed whatsoever with it so we are very pleased with it. We now can leave it open all the time with no concerns re water entering the vent. When we store' Stubby', we leave it open slightly along with our standard max air vent cover on the corner bathroom vent. This allows air movement throughout the entire cabin. I should mention that we also put a cover over the trailer during winter. there still is ample air movement under the cover. This has been working very well for us. Hope this may help you. Dennis Schultz
Dennis Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #6

Name: Dennis & Linda
Trailer: Leocraft 17ft fiberglass rv by Monarch Industries
Ontario
Registry
On second thought, It may have been Max Air that recommended the vent to use with power vents. In any case it works great.
Dennis Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
I have a Maxx Aire II on my FF in my 13 Casita. I didn't notice much loss of airflow and whatever trade off there is, is totally worth it for me to be able to use it in the rain.

Karen
Attached Thumbnails
#13.jpg  
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
now that is a nice looking Egg cover, fans and all....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Looking at adding a Max air 2 vent cover on my fantastic fan. Anybody have one? Pictures? Thanks
I have this MaxxAir, works well, no restriction and no rain....
Attached Thumbnails
Oregon trip 004.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
17' sd

2002 17' sd
Attached Thumbnails
MaxAir II.JPG  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
We now have the Max Aire vents installed on our trailer, and have contacted Mac Aire prior to using it over the Fantastic fan. They cautioned that there would be more air turbulance noise, but that there would be no functional problems. We now see that they make a special cover for the Fantastic Fans. We love it.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We installed the MaxxAir II, touted to have the most ventilation space, etc., plus hinged access last year, designed specifically to go over the Fantasic Fan.
Personally, I don't like it very much on dry days. My husband disagrees, perhaps because my hearing is better than his, and I don't sleep as soundly, and I sleep next to the hull, whereas, he sleeps closer to the fan.
With the new hood, I have to run the fan at least one to two steps higher than the previously very low setting. The hood does cut airflow; don't let anyone kid you.
What once was an almost imperceptible white noise of the fan is now a steady low "whine" that annoys me. I don't think my husband hears sounds in that range as well as I do, but he admits that it's not as quiet as it once was.
I've taken to setting up another small fan on the table or counter (the FanTastic 12 volt) on still, hot nights. It's just as quiet as the original, sans hood, and at least circulates the air better from the window...
On rainy nights, our votes are both two thumbs up. Before, we had to live with an inch or two of a cracked vent, and fan on low. Now, we can leave it wide open, and get better air flow.
If we camped in an area of only occasional rainfall (like the desert), I wouldn't install one. Living in Florida, and camping in many states, we'll live with it.
Sherry
Note: Since we rarely camp with electrical hookups, the fan (and air from windows/vents) is our major source of "air conditioning."
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
We installed the MaxxAir II, touted to have the most ventilation space, etc., plus hinged access last year, designed specifically to go over the Fantasic Fan.
Personally, I don't like it very much on dry days. My husband disagrees, perhaps because my hearing is better than his, and I don't sleep as soundly, and I sleep next to the hull, whereas, he sleeps closer to the fan.
With the new hood, I have to run the fan at least one to two steps higher than the previously very low setting. The hood does cut airflow; don't let anyone kid you.
What once was an almost imperceptible white noise of the fan is now a steady low "whine" that annoys me. I don't think my husband hears sounds in that range as well as I do, but he admits that it's not as quiet as it once was.
I've taken to setting up another small fan on the table or counter (the FanTastic 12 volt) on still, hot nights. It's just as quiet as the original, sans hood, and at least circulates the air better from the window...
On rainy nights, our votes are both two thumbs up. Before, we had to live with an inch or two of a cracked vent, and fan on low. Now, we can leave it wide open, and get better air flow.
If we camped in an area of only occasional rainfall (like the desert), I wouldn't install one. Living in Florida, and camping in many states, we'll live with it.
Sherry
Note: Since we rarely camp with electrical hookups, the fan (and air from windows/vents) is our major source of "air conditioning."
I don't recall whether mine is the 850, 950, or some other number but it is a substancially different design which allows about the same flow resistance as no cover.
It is a bit larger and more noticeable, but the air exits at a downward angle through a screened opening which is lager than the fan opening by some margin.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #14

Registry
This is the model we installed: Fan/Mate | Latest Fan mate, 850 (white). The 950 is the same, in black.
It has a very high clearance, so the vent cover can open completely. However, it does (most definitely) change the amount of air flow we receive after installation.
I don't think I used the right model # in the first post. However, the one we bought is supposed to offer the most airflow.
Sherry
Old 12-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
This is the model we installed: Fan/Mate | Latest Fan mate, 850 (white). The 950 is the same, in black.
It has a very high clearance, so the vent cover can open completely. However, it does (most definitely) change the amount of air flow we receive after installation.
I don't think I used the right model # in the first post. However, the one we bought is supposed to offer the most airflow.
Sherry
Mine doesn't (that I can tell) All the resistance in my trailer depends on how may windows are open. Location may have something to do with it or the fact that the one you referenced is similar but not like mine, which is now 7 years old... and there has been a new "improved" model, and like many things, improved may not be what it seems.
At any rate, we like it!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #16

Registry
Floyd, I'm glad you like your hood.
I seem to be in the minority, but truly, I definitely feel the difference in airflow, and hear the significant difference in fan noise level when the fan runs. As I said before, my husband is not bothered nearly as much as I am. Different ears, and sensitivities, I'm sure. I feel the hood reduces the available windflow, and that's that.
Even a simple window screen blocks some air, but blocks pesky insects. All things in life are a compromise. Like I said, on rainy days, I love the hood. On dry days, not so much. Especially hot still days.
Sherry
Old 12-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #17

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we have the original fantastic fan and use a vent hood. we cannot imagine not having it. we don't use the fan itself very much, really, but when we do need to use it, there does not seem to be much decrease in air flow. we DO love it when it is raining---we do not miss having the rain drip inside. now, our FF combined with the maxx air window vents make a rainy day no problems at all. our windows are sliders, not jalousied, as we would have preferred.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #18

Michigan
Still haven't done this mod. Yet. But hoping to this spring. Now thinking about going with the Max Air 850 if you have one please post a picture.....Don't want it to be huge! Thanks so much.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #19

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Fantastic fan now has there own cover that works better than any other vent cover.
http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/ultrabreeze.html

kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Fantastic fan now has there own cover that works better than any other vent cover.
UltraBreeze
I priced this vent cover. Let's just say that they are very proud of it.