MaxxAir Fan Mate 850 vs. Ultra Breeze - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
MaxxAir Fan Mate 850 vs. Ultra Breeze

Hi Everybody,
I just ordered the MaxxAir Fan Mate 850 vent cover a few days ago, but am concerned that I bought the wrong vent cover. I just saw a short video about the Ultra Breeze (one made for the FF), and it looks like this one allows a great deal (almost 100%) air flow. I can't find any comparisons for the Maxx Air 850 (the one I bought).
In short, did I screw up? Does anybody have experience here with the MaxxAir Fan Mate 850 vs. the Ultra Breeze for air flow reduction or any other problems? I certainly can return the 850 if need be. I guess my concern is that I have no air conditioner in my trailer, and don't want to run into significant air flow reduction when I'll need all the air I can get!
I usually am good about doing my research....maybe not this time? I would appreciate your replies and experiences, and want to wish all of you a very bright and happy New Year!

Sincerely,
Wendy (CampyTime)
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
links to your choices would be helpful in someone being able to advise.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #3

New York
Registry
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't think of that as I was looking for people's experiences with either unit. Lord knows I've clicked on plenty of links myself, but never created one. I'll try this now...I hope it works!

Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Cover - White - Fan-Tastic Vent UB1500WH - Vents - Camping World

MaxxAir 850 White Fan/Mate Rain Cover for High Powered Ceiling Fans : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 12-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd go with the UltraBreeze, since it was made for the fantastic fan. I had a MaxxAir and it will protect the vent more from rain but it really made the room darker, it eliminated any sunlight from coming into the unit from the vent.
Since owning an Escape with the MaxxFan, I'd never go back to the fantastic fan, the MaxxFan is quieter and has the built in vent and with the smoke lens lets in more light. Your choice, my observations.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Not sure if anyone here has that Fan/Mate cover. I bought the similarly shaped Turbo/Maxx which is that cover with the fan built in. Its fan sits near the outer air exit port, so the air it sucks out does not hit any bends after the fan itself. (I thought it would be quieter, but it's about the same.) With your fan sitting in the usual place, I think it still won't matter much between the two covers. The air will hit the existing vent lid (which will be up at an angle) and then head straight back, in either instance. And difference will be minimal, I'd guess perhaps 10-15% of air volume. Of course, air you pull into the the trailer will flow even better... and again, about the same with either cover.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

New York
Registry
I also didn't mention when I added the links...there is a video out there for the Ultra Breeze (I think it may be on the page where I added the link for Camping World). The video is from the manufacturer and it shows the difference in air flow when putting various vent covers over their fantastic fan, vs. their Ultra Breeze vent cover. Unfortunately, the video did not show their Ultra Breeze vs. the Maxx Air Fan Mate 850. In their video, with the vent covers they did put on, there was a noticeable difference in air flow volume. All of the ones they used were much boxier than the fan mate I purchased (which is scheduled to be delivered this Friday).

I am just mad at myself that I didn't do the good research I usually do, and I had this model stuck in my head and that was that. I seem to remember Carol mentioning something about this to me during one of her posts. I wish there was a way to save all of the great advice I read here, other than printing out pages and pages which I've done for other questions I've asked!

I hope to keep hearing from any of you who care to reply because I'd like to "take it all in" and make a decision. Thank you Mike and CPAHarley for your thoughtful replies.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #7

New York
Registry
Also I forgot to thank you CPAHarley for your recommendation of the Maxx Fan for the future. Since my trailer is only a 2012 and the FF has seen little use, when it decides to crump, I will definitely look into the Maxx Fan as well!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Also I forgot to thank you CPAHarley for your recommendation of the Maxx Fan for the future. Since my trailer is only a 2012 and the FF has seen little use, when it decides to crump, I will definitely look into the Maxx Fan as well!
You may have a long wait, I'm on my 7th year with a FF (with a lot of use) and it's still going strong.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #9

New York
Registry
Padlin00...Ha Ha! As far as I'm concerned, the longer the wait, the better! Do you have a vent cover on yours?

MikeMagee, thank you also for your information. I just called Maxx Air, and (of course) "there's virtually no air flow reduction" with THEIR UNIT. He says you can open the FF lid cover about 98%. The Ultra Breeze is a lot cheaper ($48 bucks vs. the 89 I paid for the Fan Mate 850).

The units install differently too. The Ultra Breeze requires you to pull out 4 screws already in the base of the FF, remove old lap sealant, and reuse those same holes with the hardware that comes with the ultra breeze vent cover, reapplying lap sealant over the new screws. The vent cover is held in place via cotter pins that slide in a metal slot onto the new hardware plates.

The Maxx Air requires drilling 4 holes into the sides of the FF plastic shroud (not the camper top) to attach the hardware. This one has hinges on one side that allow the vent cover to be opened to the other side for servicing/cleaning of the FF.

Oh, what to do!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I think of the Maxx Fan as an option for trailers I have yet to add a fan to, (five and counting). The one with a Fantastic Fan will likely have that fan till after I am long gone.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #11

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I have installed two MaxFans on two Bigfoot Trailers that I have owned. Escape Trailers in 2010 came with a MaxFan. No loss of air flow in these units. I leave ours on the whole time we camp and run it while traveling when it is hot outside and it keeps the trailer cooler inside. Their are other place to buy than Camping World.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #12

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Padlin00...Ha Ha! As far as I'm concerned, the longer the wait, the better! Do you have a vent cover on yours?
Yes, but it will just confuse you more. I needed one for the limited amount of space I have on the roof. I went with the Aero-Flo.

Camco 40421 RV Aero-Flo Roof Vent Cover (White) : Amazon.com : Automotive
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote