Maxxair vent vs Fantastic vent? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #21

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Has anyone tried installing their own speed control switch on a fantastic fan? Maybe a rotary pot? And if so where? Can you do it in line ;for example next to the bed or sink where the power would come from) or dies it need to be installed "with" the fan, if at all.....? Thx
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #22

Name: hue
Trailer: 1971 boler owner
Saskatchewan
I just installed a FF on my Boler. I have 0 complaints. It is three speed and reversable, comes with a thermostat and a rain sensor that will close the hatch when wet and open when dry (when the thermostat calls).

I did not get the remote, because I am still looking for the TV remote I lost a couple years ago. The FF is attached to the trailer so it is harder to lose.

It cools things off very quickly. The operating noise does not bother me, but if if does in the future I might invest in the resistor.

It was also an easy install
h
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
Has anyone tried installing their own speed control switch on a fantastic fan? Maybe a rotary pot? And if so where? Can you do it in line ;for example next to the bed or sink where the power would come from) or dies it need to be installed "with" the fan, if at all.....? Thx
If you look at the link posted in #15 you will see F/F offers wall mounted controls.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #24

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I had the FF temporarily in place (need longer bolts) and had to wire it in to try it for a few minutes.

I was a little unhappy with the controls. There's no simple Open/Close control on the remote. The remote is a bit confusing and there is no way to simply turn the fan on/off without the remote (keep spare batteries!!!)

I think I may have to explore some of those other control options. Has anyone tried using wired controls AND the remote at the same time?

But overall, it's a lovely upgrade from my old fan/vent. It looks so modern and pretty compared to that old crusty unit.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Just closing the vent should shut it off or at least it does on mine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #26

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Hello Jill,

It's been a while.....but I found your post while searching for info about the MaxxFan.

I was wondering if you ever installed it in your Eggcamper?

I am very interested because we are thinking about doing this, and your experience would, I'm sure, be very helpful to know.

Hope to hear from you,
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #27

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Thumbs up Installed vent

We ended up replacing the 2 roof vents in our Egg with 2 Fantastic Fans, pretty much because they were on sale at Camping World and because we couldn't see any huge differences in FF vs MA. We had to cut the vent opening in the roof slightly bigger to accommodate the fans. Other than that, successful installation and we couldn't be happier. I think my husband used a hand saw and a file tool to make the opening the slightly bit larger that it needed. The difference it makes in the airflow is amazing. We have one blowing in and one blowing out.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #28

Name: Kim
Trailer: Shadow Cruiser pickup camper
Montana
Question Fan Tastic vs MaxxAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was always a fan of Fantastic fan and thought they were the best. That said, everyone I had I had to modify it. Stock from factory was always on exhaust, so I had to add a reverse switch, a thermostat, and finally the 3 speed was too loud and they have a resistor to install to slow it down. Once all this was down it was fine.
MaxxAir deluxe comes stock with a 10 speed fan, reverse,thermostat, use in rain and use when shut. Now I'm thinking it maybe the better choice and I ordered one on my new Escape.

What do you think about the two fans now that you have had the MaxxAir for awhile? We are shopping and these two show up most often but haven't found a helpful review yet.
hughesmk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #29

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I still prefer the MaxxAir, particularly the deluxe with remote. It has more speeds, a smoke lens and seems better built.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #30

Registry
If I had to choose over again I would go with the MaxxAir as you can run it in the rain as is without having to add a separate cover as you do with the Fantastic Fan.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #31

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I'm in agreement with Carol...I am glad I upgraded to my MaxxAir Deluxe fan because I have left the vent open during all the heavy rains we have had this year with no water getting inside. When I step inside my ParkLiner even with the windows closed its cooler inside then the garage I cut through to get to the driveway because the heat rises up and out the open vent. Worth the upgrade...especially for anyone who has slider windows on their egg and don't camp with full hookups during the summer and it rains... need the air to be able to move around.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Worth the upgrade...especially for anyone who has slider windows on their egg and don't camp with full hookups during the summer and it rains... need the air to be able to move around.
As I camp in areas north of me as well as down south at various times of year mosture issues are big. Best defence is lots of air movement. The best addition/mod made to my trailer was adding the Window/Maxx vents to the rear side sliders.... probable get the highest use of any other mod made. A bit of a pain to install & choose the correct spacers and screw sizes for your windows to avoid leaks but well worth it once you get it right.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #33

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I like the Max/Air unit because it has a built in rain cover. I have used one for over 3 years with no problems. It has so many speeds running at night we cannot hear the fan.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #34

Trailer: Bigfoot (25C21FB)
I didn't like the exhaust fan that came in my Bigfoot so I swapped out for a Maxxair in 2007. By 2013, the screen had rusted and the fan was so dirty it had become difficult to clean. Now I have 2 Maxxair's, front and back and when I exhaust them and get one nice breeze going... I clean the screens on a regular basis. I like the fact that I can use them even if it is raining. Best bang for my dollar. Company was located in Tampa, Florida but has since moved.
rickschramm is offline   Reply With Quote