Maxxair vent vs Fantastic vent? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Got a link to the double insulated? Can I replace just the smoked cover I have with a insulated?
here you go
http://www.fantasticvent.com/faq/kno.../OEM%20cat.pdf

Old 07-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
I'm sure either one you would be happy with. I did have to replace a Fantastic before and I can't say enough about their customer service and lifetime warranty.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #17

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Look at that!

I special ordered mine at the factory (wanted the "tall"version), I probably could have specified that. Drat. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can't trade since I haven't installed yet.

Now I just need to find a double layered smoked colored 17x25 escape hatch to match!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #18

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
It looks like the MA has a better design for keeping the rain out than the FF .... No?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
yes...
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I've had a 3 speed FF in a past trailer, and I have a 3 speed Maxx in the current one. Both seem about equal in sound and air movement volume. Either one would be good. If you see a model by one or the other that has particular features you like, or else has a better price, I guess those would be the deciding factors. I chose the Maxx this time because I wanted the kind with the fan up above (outside) the vent... I thought it would be quieter than in the vent, but it seems about the same after all. However, it's still really nice to be able to leave the vent open 24/7.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #21

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Has anyone tried installing their own speed control switch on a fantastic fan? Maybe a rotary pot? And if so where? Can you do it in line ;for example next to the bed or sink where the power would come from) or dies it need to be installed "with" the fan, if at all.....? Thx
Old 07-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #22

Name: hue
Trailer: 1971 boler owner
Saskatchewan
I just installed a FF on my Boler. I have 0 complaints. It is three speed and reversable, comes with a thermostat and a rain sensor that will close the hatch when wet and open when dry (when the thermostat calls).

I did not get the remote, because I am still looking for the TV remote I lost a couple years ago. The FF is attached to the trailer so it is harder to lose.

It cools things off very quickly. The operating noise does not bother me, but if if does in the future I might invest in the resistor.

It was also an easy install
h
Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #23

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
Has anyone tried installing their own speed control switch on a fantastic fan? Maybe a rotary pot? And if so where? Can you do it in line ;for example next to the bed or sink where the power would come from) or dies it need to be installed "with" the fan, if at all.....? Thx
If you look at the link posted in #15 you will see F/F offers wall mounted controls.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #24

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I had the FF temporarily in place (need longer bolts) and had to wire it in to try it for a few minutes.

I was a little unhappy with the controls. There's no simple Open/Close control on the remote. The remote is a bit confusing and there is no way to simply turn the fan on/off without the remote (keep spare batteries!!!)

I think I may have to explore some of those other control options. Has anyone tried using wired controls AND the remote at the same time?

But overall, it's a lovely upgrade from my old fan/vent. It looks so modern and pretty compared to that old crusty unit.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Just closing the vent should shut it off or at least it does on mine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #26

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Hello Jill,

It's been a while.....but I found your post while searching for info about the MaxxFan.

I was wondering if you ever installed it in your Eggcamper?

I am very interested because we are thinking about doing this, and your experience would, I'm sure, be very helpful to know.

Hope to hear from you,
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #27

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Thumbs up Installed vent

We ended up replacing the 2 roof vents in our Egg with 2 Fantastic Fans, pretty much because they were on sale at Camping World and because we couldn't see any huge differences in FF vs MA. We had to cut the vent opening in the roof slightly bigger to accommodate the fans. Other than that, successful installation and we couldn't be happier. I think my husband used a hand saw and a file tool to make the opening the slightly bit larger that it needed. The difference it makes in the airflow is amazing. We have one blowing in and one blowing out.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #28

Name: Kim
Trailer: Shadow Cruiser pickup camper
Montana
Question Fan Tastic vs MaxxAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was always a fan of Fantastic fan and thought they were the best. That said, everyone I had I had to modify it. Stock from factory was always on exhaust, so I had to add a reverse switch, a thermostat, and finally the 3 speed was too loud and they have a resistor to install to slow it down. Once all this was down it was fine.
MaxxAir deluxe comes stock with a 10 speed fan, reverse,thermostat, use in rain and use when shut. Now I'm thinking it maybe the better choice and I ordered one on my new Escape.

What do you think about the two fans now that you have had the MaxxAir for awhile? We are shopping and these two show up most often but haven't found a helpful review yet.