Maxxair vent vs Fantastic vent? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #1

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Maxxair vent vs Fantastic vent?

I need to replace an air vent with something more functional at moving air. Anyone have an opinion on which one of these is better or are they really just about equal?
Jill
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I installed a maxxair vent behind the escape hatch on our Scamp, I choose it because it was a all in one install, no need for separate rain cover, not as quiet as I would like , but then again it is a fan, really moves the air
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I was always a fan of Fantastic fan and thought they were the best. That said, everyone I had I had to modify it. Stock from factory was always on exhaust, so I had to add a reverse switch, a thermostat, and finally the 3 speed was too loud and they have a resistor to install to slow it down. Once all this was down it was fine.
MaxxAir deluxe comes stock with a 10 speed fan, reverse,thermostat, use in rain and use when shut. Now I'm thinking it maybe the better choice and I ordered one on my new Escape.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I put a Fantastic Fan on my Scamp and it works very well & very happy with it. Wish though that it had one more lower setting as it works a little to well. If I was to get another I would get the one with the rain sensor so it closes on its own when it starts to rain, as I cant put a large cover over mine, due to a height restriction where I store the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
MaxxAir

I just completed installing a Maxx-Fan on a Bigfoot 21RB. I like this unit because it comes as one unit, and I have owned other F/G trailers with this fan. We always run the fan on low year around while camping.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I put a Fantastic Fan on my Scamp and it works very well & very happy with it. Wish though that it had one more lower setting as it works a little to well. If I was to get another I would get the one with the rain sensor so it closes on its own when it starts to rain, as I cant put a large cover over mine, due to a height restriction where I store the trailer.
It's only four easily accessible nuts to remove the vent cover when ready for storage.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It's only four easily accessible nuts to remove the vent cover when ready for storage.
Yup but due to frequent usage of the trailer I would have to do that way to many times in a year. Have a hard enough time remembering to take the bikes off the roof of the car before backing into the carport
Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #8

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was always a fan of Fantastic fan and thought they were the best. That said, everyone I had I had to modify it. Stock from factory was always on exhaust, so I had to add a reverse switch, a thermostat, and finally the 3 speed was too loud and they have a resistor to install to slow it down. Once all this was down it was fine.
MaxxAir deluxe comes stock with a 10 speed fan, reverse,thermostat, use in rain and use when shut. Now I'm thinking it maybe the better choice and I ordered one on my new Escape.
Wait, what? I haven't looked on my remote, but there isn't a fan direction setting? And I'm pretty sure the top end Fantastic Fans have thermostats? Do you just mean some buy the basic fan and then upgrade them later? I see F F sells upgrade kits.

The one I have better have temp controls on the remote, that thing cost a fortune!

I'll be installing mine tonight hopefully. But the old fan is sticking quiet well to the roof!!!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #9

Registry
Cant comment on the temp control on the remote feature but I purchased the most basic of Fantastic Fans and it came with a fan direction switch - did not need to add it.

Fantastic Fan does offer an upgrade option to add the thermostat &/or remote for those who only had the basic to start with.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
The fantastic fans that come on factory installed OEM units are exhaust only because of RVIA rules about waste fumes. After market installs are another issue, logic would preclude me from buying a stock unit and then have to modify it before installing.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Registry
By the way, the new F/F are now installed without any screw holes around the perimeter on /OEM installs.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You can get an upgrade kit that gives you rain sensor and 14 speeds.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
I have 2 fantastic fan vents, one a double insulated that eliminates condensation and another one a smoke color. I'm thinking of selling....
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #14

British Columbia
Got a link to the double insulated? Can I replace just the smoked cover I have with a insulated?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Got a link to the double insulated? Can I replace just the smoked cover I have with a insulated?
here you go
http://www.fantasticvent.com/faq/kno.../OEM%20cat.pdf
Old 07-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I'm sure either one you would be happy with. I did have to replace a Fantastic before and I can't say enough about their customer service and lifetime warranty.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Look at that!

I special ordered mine at the factory (wanted the "tall"version), I probably could have specified that. Drat. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can't trade since I haven't installed yet.

Now I just need to find a double layered smoked colored 17x25 escape hatch to match!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #18

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
It looks like the MA has a better design for keeping the rain out than the FF .... No?
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Registry
yes...
Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I've had a 3 speed FF in a past trailer, and I have a 3 speed Maxx in the current one. Both seem about equal in sound and air movement volume. Either one would be good. If you see a model by one or the other that has particular features you like, or else has a better price, I guess those would be the deciding factors. I chose the Maxx this time because I wanted the kind with the fan up above (outside) the vent... I thought it would be quieter than in the vent, but it seems about the same after all. However, it's still really nice to be able to leave the vent open 24/7.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote