Memory Foam Matress topper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2007, 03:56 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I know there was a topic recently about this because this is where I got the idea to buy one.
Well we went out for one night this past week and before we went we went to Wally*World and picked up a full size - 1+1/4 memory foam topper (they have thinner one) to go on our bed in our 13ft Boler.
I usually can never sleep the first night out with the uncomfortable gaps in the coushions and the way they fold over on the edge giveing the feeling our falling out if you get within 4 inches of the edge.
Well the Memory Foam took care of all these problems and we both slept like babies...Cold babies as the furnace is still acting up but that is another story.
GET THE MEMORY FOAM for around $50 it's well worth it.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
How do you store it during the daytime and when traveling?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
For even less than Wally World, you can get memory foam on Ebay. We paid only $31 for an irregular (uneven edges) foam topper. We trimmed it to the size of the bed in our Scamp and it has made the bed so comfortable! During the day we roll it up tightly, put it into a spare pillow case and throw it into the back of the truck.

Watch out for cheap imitations. We made the mistake of purchasing a twin-size "memory foam" topper at Target for $19.99. It had absolutely no memory! It felt & looked just like plain old foam, hardly worth what we paid. I'm not sure how they get away with calling it memory foam. Buyers beware!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Ours stores real easy when we're on the road. It folds in thirds and fits exactly across the shelf in the Jeep liberty hatch.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:00 AM   #5

Quote:
How do you store it during the daytime and when traveling?

Wife is a great one for keeping original boxes so we just fold it, as said, in thirds the long way then roll from each end and it goes right back in same box.
The box just sits anywhere.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I store my memory form on top of my bed, underneath the sheets, next to the pillows. Think about it; how oftern to you actually use the dinette as a table? We eat all of our meals outside; underneath the awning if its raining. That said, it did take a few months of camping to realize we were just adding steps to our camping process by setting up the bed, then breaking it down in the morning. Now, with it always set up for sleeping, if we pull into a site late at night, were ready; if we need a quick nap during the day, were ready
LeBoutillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #7

We bought memory foam for our home bed some time ago from COSTCO. It was compressed, very heavy and in no way would fit back into its original packaging after being "released".

Apparently, the stuff you are getting for camper use is something different.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Loren,
The memory foam we bought on Ebay (seller's name was Mrs. Foam) is 1" thick. I fold it in half lengthwise then compress it as I roll it up, like you would roll up a sleeping bag. It easily fits inside a pillowcase for storage. I've found that better memory foam compresses more.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Loren, how thick is the memory foam that you used for your home bed? ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I am storiing the original cushions in my house in case I ever sell my Scamp, but using the new mattress (4" memory foam and 2" dense foam) as a permanent bed. I love my new mattress.

Even with foam over the cushions I could feel the breaks in the cushions. It's wonderful to have a one piece mattress and a comfy one.

My mattress in my home is shot so I'm contemplating dumping the mattress and using 2" dense and 4" memory foam on top of the box springs. Mattresses and box springs come in sets these days so my solution would be a whole lot more reasonable.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:15 PM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
I am storiing the original cushions in my house in case I ever sell my Scamp, but using the new mattress (4" memory foam and 2" dense foam) as a permanent bed. I love my new mattress.

Even with foam over the cushions I could feel the breaks in the cuskons. It's wonderful to have a one piece mattress and a comfy one.

My mattress in my home is shot so I'm contemplating dumping the mattress and using 2" dense and 4" memory foam on top of the box springs. Mattresses and box springs come in sets these days so my solution would be a whole lot more reasonable.
Where did you get your mattress, Joy? After sleeping on memory foam over foam in the trailer, I want to replace my bed in the house, too!

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:51 AM   #12

Quote:
We bought memory foam for our home bed some time ago from COSTCO. It was compressed, very heavy and in no way would fit back into its original packaging after being "released".

Apparently, the stuff you are getting for camper use is something different.

There are different grades of memory foam and even at Wall*Mart there were 2
One was just a thin foam ($29) that I am sure was not what I wanted and the other ($49)had much more densety to it.
I think I have seen what you have and it's texture is almost like a rubber?
This medium foam, we got is 1 and 1/4 thick and as other said it folds in thirds the long way then folds up to a roll about 15 inches diameter.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 09-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Bobbie,

I made the mattress for my Scamp. I purchased 4" memory foam from some "overstock" place that Donna D gave me the website for. It seemed quite soft so I went down to a fabric store that carries foam and purchased 2" dense foam. A friend of mine has an industrial sewing and made a cover for it. Viola' a new mattress for my Scamp.

I'm thinking about purchasing the 4" foam mattress from W/M. Then simply laying it on the box springs at my home. It's only $100, no big loss it I don't like it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #14

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I think what Ibought is 2 1/2 inch memory foam. Maybe 3. Can't remember. But I'm having trouble finding the foam- that's one of my goals this weekend, to look for bed-sized foam. The store here that used to carry it is gone. I like memory foam over foam better than memory foam alone.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
We bought one of the full size BTC (Back to College) memory toppers from Target. Thought it worked great, went back to buy another one. Cut the 2nd one in half for the bunks. Works great. For only $19.99, hey you get what you pay for, but it sure makes the difference to us. Before the cushions would separate and I could not get a good night sleep. 1 1/2 inch thickness we can't feel the original cushions under us. We think they work great. Anything is an improvement over cushions sliding out from under you in the night
Ken & Sherry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Loren, how thick is the memory foam that you used for your home bed? ...Benny
Once decompressed from the original packaging it is about an inch and a half thick. The problem is the weight - I would guess a queen size would weigh 40 to 50 pounds.

I've seen the stuff at Wal-Mart and elsewhere, and it is definitely not the same stuff.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Once decompressed from the original packaging it is about an inch and a half thick. The problem is the weight - I would guess a queen size would weigh 40 to 50 pounds.
You're right on target. According to the three DHL shipping notices we got (For the foam base, memory foam top, and a mattress cover) the foam for our 6" queen-size mattress was 41lbs.

Quote:
Where did you get your mattress, Joy? After sleeping on memory foam over foam in the trailer, I want to replace my bed in the house, too!
Same here. We got ours through Sleepy Mountain Mattress on eBay. The mattress cost around $100, the shipping another $60 or so. We're pretty happy with it.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
My husband and I have just purchased a 16' Uhaul VT so I've researched everything and anything about our new (To us!) "egg".

Being one who values her sleep, I read everything and anything about mattress toppers. It seemed more people thought the Memory Foam like it than didn't, so I caved-in and bought a 4" Memory Foam topper from W/M - $129.00.

We have our first camping weekend scheduled on the 19th of October, so I wanted to make sure we tried it out before our first and last trip this year before 'she' goes into the storage garage for the winter. We decided to get movies and pizza and 'camp' out in our driveway this past Friday night.

I let the topper air-out for 4 days, and it's no where near 4" thick as the box it came in stated. 2" at the very most. Friday afternoon, I decided to lay on it for a bit to get a 'comfort factor' and realized I may need an "egg crate" foam to lay over it as it was hard as heck. I have a few on the beds in the house, so I took the thickest one off the guest bed and placed over the $129.00 topper I purchased eariler in the week.

About 2am (after an evening of movie watching on the lap top computer) we had been asleep for about 2 hours. My lower back was already sore and I still had several hours to lay on this thing. I didn't get good sleep (only because I couldn't tell if it was a bear outside our trailer or my husband...)

I've decided to put 1 or 2 more "egg crates" on top of the memory foam hoping to soften the bed before our real trip. I probably won't even feel the memory foam somewhere sandwiched between the trailer cushions, and the 2 or 3 foam cushions on top. Would I buy another one? Nope...and like a previous poster said above, it's too heavy and difficult to drag it all the way back to W/M -
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1984
Just came back from W/M after checking out their prices. The 1 1/2 in memory foam on sale here at $59.00. This was for what they called a double bed size[49 x 72]. That's just a bit wider and slightly shorter than my Boler[47x76]. Sears 3/4 mattress of 6 in foam also looks good , but pricy at $259.00. I wonder if the curved corners in the trailer would affect it much. But then I'd have to store the cushions against the time I'd want to put the table and seats back. With the memory foam I still would want to replace the worn and tired upholstry on the seats.
Keep this thread going. I'll get there yet
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I wonder if the curved corners in the trailer would affect it much.

If you cut pieces off your memory foam, keep them! I cut the odds and ends into long 1-2 inch narrow pieces and put it in the fridge door shelves. It also works in the freezer and other small, but not small enough, storage places to keep spillables and breakables in place.

The foam forms it'self around eggs, milk jugs, cups, hotsauce, shampoo and salt/pepper shakers (anything) to keep them wedged in tight. Prevents spillage and reduces vibration, without taking up usable space.

Easy to clean, too. Doesn't absorb stuff like regular foam.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote