Memory Foam used in cushion fabrication - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Memory Foam used in cushion fabrication

Hi there,

I know many of you have spoken of using memory foam for your cushion material, and was curious how you went about it. Did you buy a King size mattress and cut it into the 4 cushions required (I have a '71 Boler)? I would also like to use this material and am considering this attached mattress at Walmart.

Walmart.com: Spa Sensations 4'' Memory Foam Mattress-Topper: Furniture

Advice? Leads on other good vendors?

Would appreciate the help.
khite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by khite View Post
Hi there,

I know many of you have spoken of using memory foam for your cushion material, and was curious how you went about it. Did you buy a King size mattress and cut it into the 4 cushions required (I have a '71 Boler)? I would also like to use this material and am considering this attached mattress at Walmart.

Walmart.com: Spa Sensations 4'' Memory Foam Mattress-Topper: Furniture

Advice? Leads on other good vendors?

Would appreciate the help.

It is probably a mistake to use memory foam as an upholstery filler. Memory foam changes shape to conform to weight (people sitting on the couch). You probably want to use something which will hold its shape no matter what is put on the couch.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I love memory foam, but on its own it doesn't make the most comfortable cushions. They tend to completely "crush" under a sitting person's weight. If you lie down the larger area tends to reduce that problem. I used 2" memory foam on top of 1" high density foam in my Northern Lite trailer, which should be a good compromise, I hope (we'll find out as soon as the snow is gone from our favorite campsites).

One other "issue" you should be aware of is that memory foam doesn't like low temperatures. If your trailer is at 5c or so, expect the foam to be as hard as a rock until it warms up ....I found that out by leaving my bedroom window open in the winter. Went to bed and it was like cement until it warmed up...
Jeff Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Boler
Washington
The upholstery shop also did not recommend memory foam throughout, so we went with 3" urethane with a 1" memory foam piece on top. Let you know how that all works out. Was able to get the urethane foam online for $122, and the topper from Overstock.com for under $40 with shipping. Thought it was a pretty good deal.
khite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
Massachusetts
We used the Walmart 4" memory foam mattress topper in our refit for the front cushions. It it not all memory foam, about 1" memory foam and then the rest regular foam. It is ok, but we do bottom out a little. We used the 6" one from Walmart for our bed and it is great.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote