Metal backsplash? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 1995 16 ft Scamp
Virginia
Metal backsplash?

Has anyone used real tin/metal as a backsplash?

While we're probably a year away from a real "kitchen," we have the basic structure for cabinets in place, both on the drivers and passengers sides of the trailer.

Instead of covering the foil ray insulation between the "counters" and upper "cabinets" with fabric, I'm thinking of using 24x24" metal tiles, possibly in this pattern:
#124 Tin/Metal Ceiling Tile

I'll add some pictures after I get them uploaded.
artrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #2

Virginia

I don't know if the real metal 24x24 tiles would flex enough to fit the curve--or if that would even matter as long as they were attached well in at least a couple of spots....
Old 03-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
I am using a plastic material for mine... I bought mine in white since I plan on panting it, but they do offer the same kind of material in metal-look finishes.

Global Specialty Products Dimensions Faux 2 ft. x 4 ft. Glue-up Tin Style White Ceiling Tile for Surface Mount-209-50 - The Home Depot

It's not super flexible, but it will easily bend enough to go on the wall where I need it - I am planning on covering my cut edges with the flexible trim that scamp sells as cabinet edging for a cleaner look.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
I am using a plastic material for mine... I bought mine in white since I plan on panting it, but they do offer the same kind of material in metal-look finishes.

Global Specialty Products Dimensions Faux 2 ft. x 4 ft. Glue-up Tin Style White Ceiling Tile for Surface Mount-209-50 - The Home Depot

It's not super flexible, but it will easily bend enough to go on the wall where I need it - I am planning on covering my cut edges with the flexible trim that scamp sells as cabinet edging for a cleaner look.
Thanks for the info--and link!
Old 03-29-2015, 01:03 AM   #5

Name: Lyndsay
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Alberta
Registry
If you're crafty these would be flexible as well.

http://suzyssitcom.com/2012/06/featu...-tutorial.html

Lilly The Trilly - 1975 Trillium 1300
PrettylilTrilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:39 AM   #6

Virginia
Very cool! Not sure if I want to take the time to do this for the Scamp, but I'm bookmarking the page to possibly use with my art students!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #7

Name: Matt
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
My wife installed a metal backsplash in our Scamp, I'll ask her where she found the tins ( I think it was home depot). She hand cut them with tin snips to fit the windows, here's a pic
Scampsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #8

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampsmith View Post
My wife installed a metal backsplash in our Scamp, I'll ask her where she found the tins ( I think it was home depot). She hand cut them with tin snips to fit the windows, here's a pic
That's really a sharp set-up !
Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #9

Name: Lyndsay
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampsmith View Post
Love, Love, Love the colours!
PrettylilTrilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #10

Name: Matt
Georgia
Thanks for the compliments but my wife Courtney who also posts here as Courtney is the one responsible for all colors and designs. She did the entire interior herself. Shoot her a PM if you've got any questions about color codes or where she got things from
Scampsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #11

Name: Michelle
Arizona
I'm going to try and do some kind of a stainless backsplash. How did you get the "rat fur" off the wall?
shechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #12

Name: Michelle
Arizona
cutting white cabinet

Wow those are really nice wood shelves. How did you cut the openings at the bottom of your storage cabinet, just a normal saw or something special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrageous View Post

I don't know if the real metal 24x24 tiles would flex enough to fit the curve--or if that would even matter as long as they were attached well in at least a couple of spots....
shechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
So glad you asked about a metal covered wall. I've been thinking of covering the "kitchen" backsplash in quilted metal yet I have zero metal working skills. Any idea?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #14

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
We have found these at the Home Depot and will be using them in our kitchen area.... By rotating the tiles vertically, we'll be able to work them around the front corner of the trailer. The plan is to adhere them using an adhesive (a tile adhesive or our trusty PL adhesive) and then grouting using a flexible caulking compound. It's kinda pricey, though -- like $15 a square. And we're looking at 10-12 squares to take it along the driver's side around the curve an onto the front wall. But boy, does it look good with the counter!
Attached Thumbnails
tile2.jpg   tile.jpg  

Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #15

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Stainless Steel

Those tiles look super nice. Not sure caulk or anything else is going to survive the flexing that a fiberglass camper goes through as you drive, but what do I know. I just bolted on a piece of stainless steel using the existing bolts that hold on the furniture (I replaced all the crappy rivets with stainless steel hardware). Cost me $50 bucks? for the stainless steel including $5 to get it cut to size. It is very dirty in this picture, but I like the way the LED lights reflect of of it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1075.jpg  
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote