Minimum bed size? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Minimum bed size?

I'm planning the layout for the Jubilee I'm fixing up.
The main bed - no problem but, I'd like to make a secondary bed / dinette on the side. The length is no problem but the width is another matter. I'd like it to be wide enough for occasional two average sized adult guests to sleep in for few days. Also, four to sit at the table to have a snack or play cards - two on each side. On the other hand, I don't have much room to spare - would like to have a closet across from the bed. What would you consider to be a minimum with for such a bed?
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Minimum size for two people single layer? 48 inches. Which is the size in a standard Scamp. Since you're currently building, have you considered bunkbeds? I know Escape is building the bunkbed models over the dinette to hold 200 lbs on the upper. Bunkbeds would give you the number of beds you desire without sacrificing room.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
No way can we comfortably sleep in the 48" "double" bed in the Boler. Of course it has one side that is curved so it is a strange shape.

We have slept comfortably in a true double (54") sized bed in our sticky many a nights. We are considered "skinny people" but we aren't sticks.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #4

Ontario
Registry
52 - 54 will be our (main) bed but the guest bed. I didn't want to put in bunk beds but may have to revisit the idea. At the inside width of 72"-73" I can hardly put a 48" bed. A 42 may be doable but anything more would totally cramp up the space.
As I noted earlier, it is for guests who could occasionally be going with us for a weekend. Hmm. It may be better to put them in a tent! Have to think about it. Maybe I should put a bunk over the main bed and the side bed / dinette make to 36" which should be just enough for two to sit on each side of the table. This may be more practical for the times when there will be no guests = most of the trips.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

My mother, who is a retired interior decorater, once told me... never buy a home with guests in mind. That's why man invented motels . Her point was why pay taxes, clean, heat and A/C a room that gets occasional use.

I think the same goes for a molded fiberglass trailer. Make modifications that best suit the people that will be fully using the trailer 99% of the time. The occasional use... That's why man invented tents.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
A tent would provide more privacy and room anyway.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
This might help: a SINGLE BED IS 39" WIDE AND A DOUBLE IS 54" WIDE. bOTH ARE 75" LONG. Depends on how agreeable two people are.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #8

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
If you're thinking of using a tent for guests....Depending on your TV, if you have a SUV, Minivan, or P/U with a shell on the back, you can get a tent that attaches to the back, leaving the door open. The "bed" portion is in the vehicle. I've seen displays with SUV's that have the seats folded down and an air mattress in the back. I don't think the tent is that expensive. Just a thought.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #9

Ontario
Registry
In my mind, a tent is a last resort option as it would basically negate most of the reasons for having a hard walled TT in the first place. It's also another bag, another mattress, precludes overnight rest stops at all sort of places we can stop with a TT.
Us and our friends are well over 50 we are not that crazy any more about sleeping in a tent or in the back of the truck or spending extra time setting up a camp especially when weather is not cooperating. To me, the greatest thing about a hard walled TT is that once I arrive, I'm there. it takes all of 10 minutes to be set up. If I don't feel like spending these 10 minutes, I don't even need to unhitch... I don't have to move stuff between the TV (SUV) and the trailer. I'm lazy and I want to keep it this way guests or not
When not on the road / camping "out", the trailer is going to be sitting on friend's, out of town, land where we often go on the weekends. Sometimes we stay overnight and sometimes not. Sometimes the stay is unplanned. Sometimes there is more of us than sleeping places and than, having to drive back, I can't even have a wine or beer by the campfire while everybody else enjoys it... So, this extra bed space is not meant to provide super comfy sleep. Just a place to crash for a night or two.
Sure, the most important is that the fulfils not somebody else's but our needs. Well, our need is that on occasion 4 people should be able to sleep in it.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #10

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
If you're thinking of using a tent for guests....Depending on your TV, if you have a SUV, Minivan, or P/U with a shell on the back, you can get a tent that attaches to the back, leaving the door open. The "bed" portion is in the vehicle. I've seen displays with SUV's that have the seats folded down and an air mattress in the back. I don't think the tent is that expensive. Just a thought.
I've seen these and few years back I was even thinking about getting it for us but, they aren't cheap so we opted than for a regular tent. Still have it.

The little wheels in my head are spinning maybe... if I make the bed so it would fold / unfold... the seats and the table would have to fold similar way. Normally folded up to a single so, seating for one on each side of the table. Plenty of room between the closet and the dinette and easy access to the rear (main) bed. Unfolded when needed sleeping / seating for four. Cramped access to the rear bed but no matter how you cut it, four adults inside an 11' X 6' box is going to be cramped.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
You may be well over 50, but I'm well over 60, and believe me, there are still times when my wife and I don't want anyone in the camper with us - at least if the camping trip lasts longer than three or four nights. For "an occasional night or two," I see your point.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Scamp Standard dinette bed is 44" width at the center.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
I've seen these and few years back I was even thinking about getting it for us but, they aren't cheap so we opted than for a regular tent. Still have it.

The little wheels in my head are spinning maybe... if I make the bed so it would fold / unfold... the seats and the table would have to fold similar way. Normally folded up to a single so, seating for one on each side of the table. Plenty of room between the closet and the dinette and easy access to the rear (main) bed. Unfolded when needed sleeping / seating for four. Cramped access to the rear bed but no matter how you cut it, four adults inside an 11' X 6' box is going to be cramped.
Hi,
We just got rid of our Boler mainly because the bed was only 48 inches wide (at most), and curved on the wall so that our sleeping postures were quite limited. My wife was OK with that, but I kept burning my arm on the furnace next to the bed while sleeping. With our “new” Trillium 4500, the bed is 54 inches (actually 53 in most spots) and there are another 10 inches or so before we get to the hot part of the furnace, so that problem should be dealt with. The standard width for a double bed at home is 54 inches, as noted above. However, if your friends are slim and friendly you could probably get by with less for a few days at a time.

As for construction, I was going to suggest that you build the base in two sections and use loose pin door hinges (available at any hardware store) to hold the sections together. That way you can have an expandable bed for when you have company, and remove it when not needed. If you build the expansion section out of a piece of plywood with loose pin hinged legs, the expansion bed panel would be very thin, perhaps allowing it to be stored under or on top of the main section, or elsewhere. I don’t know what your layout or decorative needs are. I have used loose pin hinges in the past to fasten sections together, and they work well and are cheap. It is hard to explain without a diagram, which I do not have the ability to upload at present.

Similarly with the mattress, it could be cut into two (or more) sections so that you can position the pieces into a useful space when not using it for the bed. I use a common fitted mattress cover overtop of my dinette foam pieces anyway to soften it and hold the dinette sections together, something similar (even a fitted sheet) would hold the expansion section together when the bed is in use.

Hope that is useful.
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
>>>snip>>>
Hope that is useful.
Rick G
Thanks it was. Mainly, it made me realize that I don't really need the expandable section to be permanently attached! If I don't need them on a trip, I can just leave them behind so they won't get in the way. And thanks for the good idea with loose pin hinges.

Andrew
Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #15

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
You may be well over 50, but I'm well over 60, and believe me, there are still times when my wife and I don't want anyone in the camper with us - at least if the camping trip lasts longer than three or four nights. For "an occasional night or two," I see your point.
Ray, the only possible guests are close friends and with these, when camping, I never had a problem asking them if they want some change for some ice-cream and to tell them how long they should be looking for it
Old 01-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #16

Floyd is right and I was wrong. Scamp standard bed 44", the deluxe is 54". I thought there was only six inches difference... not 10". And none of this really has anything to do with the OPs original question....

Here's a great thread of bed sizes of different brands: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...zes-29849.html the last post was a year and a half ago, maybe we can add some more sizes now?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
As I noted earlier, it is for guests who could occasionally be going with us for a weekend.
I have camped with friends as our guests on occasion, and I turned my Minivan into an extra bedroom for them. While not as large as the King size bed in the Fiber Stream, it is every bit as comfortable.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Andrew, those friends...tell them to get their own camper!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #19

Ontario
Registry
I would but some may complain that even the smallest camper exceeds size of luggage allowed on intercontinental flights and others might tell me to get my own sailboat and others would get a trailer but expect me to arrange so they could keep it on the farm as I do so , trust me, making few adjustments to the trailer as I'm renovating is is the easiest solution for me...

Tags
floorplans