Modern Cabinet door latch search - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #1

Name: KRISTA
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Modern Cabinet door latch search

Hi...we're re-doing the cabinet doors in our 1973 Trillium and want to put new latches on the doors (which are surface mounted, not flush), and would like to find something in a silver finish that is just as easy to install on the surface as these originals. However, we are yet to find a suitable replacements that can address the change in level and that also holds the doors closed so they can't fly open while driving. Any success from anyone out there or suitable replacement options in silver? (note: these 43 year old latches are still in better working order than the new replacement versions to these). Thanks, Krista (Canada)
Attached Images

Krista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Have you looked at Lee Valley Tools? They only have thousands of pieces of quality hardware.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/WhatsNew.aspx
Old 02-06-2016, 11:02 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks...I have looked at Lee Valley - great selection just haven't found one that suits the application. The difficulty is that with the surface of the door is offset from the surface of the fibreglass (3/8"). They aren't flush,...so the receiving end of the latch needs to account for the difference in height. Vintage Trailer Supply has a 'pinch latch' in Stainless, so we're getting closer, but my understanding is that to close the door you need to pinch the ends, rather than with a bit of a push, the door latching by itself (ideally we want: pinch to unlatch, slam to lock in place) I wonder if a magnetic latch is strong enough to stay closed while driving? Then we can choose whichever knob we like the best?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
These are gold and are Jayco cabinet latches. I bought some to repair my latches but the price has gone up on them. I paid $3 each 2 years ago, now $9 (does not include the other half.
Jayco latch

The other option, see if there is a RV wrecker and see what they have in used latches.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l500.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #5

Alberta
Registry
BTW the jayco latch is called a "positive RV latch". Check google then select "images" and type in "RV positive latch" to see whats out there.

Another option is marine hardware but its usually pretty pricey.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:46 PM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks - it's helpful to have a name for it now.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:30 AM   #7

Name: Totie Fan
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
West Coast
Door Idea: Use Auto-close European Hinges

I used soft-close European hinges, the doors don't open up unless pulled.
Tote-n-Tarry No.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:48 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't use any kind of mag latch in a trailer. People aren't supposed to ride in a moving trailer but they bounce around big time even though they look to be running level....think bounce house for kids
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista View Post
Hi...we're re-doing the cabinet doors in our 1973 Trillium and want to put new latches on the doors (which are surface mounted, not flush), and would like to find something in a silver finish...
Am I dreaming or what? I spent hours searching the web for silver or aluminium replacement for theses latches over the last months, I spent most of last evening looking again. Late last night I was going to ask for help here on FGRV but I was tired and went to bed. This morning I log on FGRV only to find your post !! Creepy!

There is a lot of visible extruded aluminium in our camper (shelves frames, window frames, trims, etc), we actually want to add some more, but the bronze-colored latches and hinges don't really fit. Chrome finish hinges can be found anywhere, but I'm still looking for the latches.

I've never found silver or chrome versions of them, I've seen similar on ebay or vintagecampers.com that come from Airstream trailers, they look great but sell for $20-$25 USD each, they are not exactly the same and I'm not sure they could be fitted.

I thought may be these bronze-colored latches are just made of aluminium with a bronze finish. So just yesterday I took one out, and tried to buff the finish off to bare aluminium. All I got is a very shiny copper-colored latch! It sure looks much nicer than tarnished copper but it's not going to turn silver.

I thought of painting them but I don't think the paint will hold for very long.

Now my wife tells me that copper and aluminium trims can be used together in interior design and still look good. She showed me many pictures from the web were both metals are used together in kitchen decorations (metal trims, handles, lamp fixtures, etc), it's apparently very trendy and I admit it looks good. So in the end, we may decide just to keep the bronze hinges and latches if I can't find silver replacement.

Somewhat related to this topic: Unlike other Trilliums, the cabinets in our 5500 are all wood. My plan was to keep the fake wood finish but frame all cabinet doors with a thin aluminium edge. With new silver hinges and latches, stainless steel countertop, it would have some sort of "aircraft galley" look. But I can't seem to find the appropriate aluminium trims. Among the possible material that could be used are aluminium trims used for ceramic tiles.

They are lightweight, available anywhere, not expensive, and my cabinet doors would fit just right inside such a 1/2 inch ceramic tile trim and look pretty good. And it turns out that these trims are available in various finishes, including... copper!! Now we're far from the all-aluminium look we wanted, so we need to evaluate how it would look if we keep the copper-colored latches. We haven't decided anything yet, but that's where we're at right now.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #10

Alberta
Registry
How about doing an electroplate of nickel. The main thing is get them very clean first.
High-Quality-and-safe-Nickel-Plating/

The reason for the copper is because they are made of zinc die cast and to protect the part from corrosion they are electroplated with copper.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #11

British Columbia
That is creepy! We too have been looking for months and can't make a decision on our final finishes until we have our hardware resolved. After a suggestion on this thread, my husband found this sleek looking latch in Chrome last night from a marine supply place (I'd prefer brushed, but may not have a choice). And it has the 3/8" offset strike box that we need. They are just REALLY expensive:

https://www.tohatsu.us/index.php?mai...ucts_id=203218

But that leads to me looking more at marine places. I did find a silvery finish just like our latches on ebay, but from England, so again, cost prohibitive:

American Motorhome RV Cabinet Door Positive Latch Browm Plastic | eBay

Another irony....I'm an Interior Designer too! I think the original copper pulls could look good once polished up like you have done, but that leads us to replacing our doors in a more brown laminate like the original decor, but I was thinking of doing White Starboard doors. Like you, with aluminum trim everyone, I was hoping for silver pulls.

Fyi...the trim piece you show is made by 'Schluter Systems'. They make lots of different profiles and colours. Great idea! I never thought of that. That will make a great replacement part for the edging on our table.

If I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #12

Alberta
Registry
What about a hammered metal paint, Rustoleum makes a silver hammered paint and I have used the stuff on a few projects now including all the floor vents in our house. Its held up to everything I can throw at it for over 6 years now, no flaking or scratches. It hides imperfections well and seems to create a very hard finish (let it harden for a few days). Its also easy to touch up. 2 or three light coats are better than 1 thick coat .
Old 02-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #13

Krista:
Yep, I've seen those marine latches like the one on the 2nd link, they are nice, but of course I'd prefer something that fits the original holes in the door. Good option if I was to replace the doors.
The one on the 1st link is plastic, so I ruled it out.

Dudley: I'll look into electroplating, I never thought of that. And that silver paint also. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #14

British Columbia
Great suggestions - I too never thought of electroplating. That way I can keep the originals which just seem to be a better quality. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #15

Ok just a quick follow up on this.
Following Dudley's comment on using a good spray paint, I ended up sending an email to Krylon paints, explaining the project of turning copper-plated cabinet handles to a silver finish, and the requirement for a very durable and chip resistant paint. They answered very quickly, suggesting their Rust Tough products for this application, as they are the most scratch and abrasion resistant paint they offer in aerosol cans. Although a primer is not usually required for these paints, they also suggested using their Rust Tough Primer for added protection.

Rust Tough® Rust Preventative Enamel - | Krylon
Rust Tough® Primer - | Krylon

So considering a couple rattle cans don't cost a fortune, I'll certainly give it a try. If it turns out not resistant enough, I guess it will always be possible to remove that paint and have them electroplated if this is feasible.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #16

British Columbia
Great solution. I can see that product coming in handy in several situations. thanks.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #17

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
The spray-paint is drying on the same handles at this very moment. It worked fine on the door nobs in our house.
JenniferStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:26 AM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Personally as I don't like bumping into latches and handles in an narrow space with a hip or shoulder I prefer not to have any handles on my cabinet doors. Is that possible??? You bet it is with a fantastic push latch system made just for the purpose. When properly installed they hold the door closed securely even on rough roads. Did I mention invisible when the cabinet is closed?

They are available from a number of sources, this link just happens to be from Rockler and has an OK illustration. Yes they are plastic but they are well made, durable and strong. They are also used for cabinet door latch safety in earthquake zones since objects from inside can't push the door open.
http://www.rockler.com/safe-push-tou...size-and-color
If you are worried about dirty spots on the door just use double back tape to put on a patch of thin aluminum or plastic as the touch zone. You can add a knob as well if you like but you need to train your guest on how to open the cabinet.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote