Modified Boler project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

Name: voytek
Trailer: Boler 13
New Jersey
Modified Boler project

Some of you may remember me posting back in April and looking for ideas on a custom trailer for my Boler (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ame-51378.html). After some mixed but generally encouraging responses (THANK YOU!) I did order a custom 16'' flat deck trailer and began stripping my camper leaving only the fiberglass shell more or less intact. Here is what the whole thing looks like after I cut out the floor and wheel wells, trimmed the walls to make both sides even, and cut larger openings to enclose the new fenders. Sitting flat on the trailer I get exactly 6' of inside height. The deck extends 4' in front of the shell giving me enough room to transport a motorcycle or quad, and 2' in the back where I plan to build a custom kitchen. Next step is to glass in a new bottom, ideally from several large pieces of fiberglass (if anyone knows of a good source please let me know). Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   2.JPG  

3.JPG   4.JPG  

5.JPG   6.JPG  

7.JPG  
voytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
Wow! I did not expect to see that! Interesting modification. It looks like you're well on your way to making a Boler that is truly unique and YOURS Keep up the great work.
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Keep in mind that I have never done this,but "i did stay at a HD Express one time" Really though I did read somewhere ( Ithink it was on this sight)that if you had a big fiberglass repair to make to look for an old fiberglass shower stall to use as a base for your big whole. It seems like something like that would work.Then you could put it in plce with fiberglass patch stuff and have a good base to glass over.

If I did in fact see something about it on this sight I bet Donna D...or some other smart person, will remember it and point you to that thread.

Like what you are doing ...looks great so far.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
TERRIFIC! I think it's gonna be grand.

I remember the thread too... something about keeping an eye out on Craigslist or local throw away papers or Freecycle.com (if there's one in your area). Usually you can find shower stalls when someone is doing a remodel.

Otherwise the big box stores sell sheet fiberglass to make a shower stall.

I'll poke around and see if I can find it.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #5

Name: Maxwell
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Keep in mind that I have never done this,but "i did stay at a HD Express one time" Really though I did read somewhere ( Ithink it was on this sight)that if you had a big fiberglass repair to make to look for an old fiberglass shower stall to use as a base for your big whole. It seems like something like that would work.Then you could put it in plce with fiberglass patch stuff and have a good base
just cut some mdf out to the shape of the floor u need.
Stretch a fleece blanket from one end to the other. N staple it in place.
Apply your resin in multiple layers to the fleece blanket till it hardens to the shape you want. Remove staples after a couple coats.
You could line the mdf with tinfoil if u want to remove the wood later.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm not clear on why you would not just use plywood for the floor and FG trailer to it at edges. Coat wood outside with FG resin. Weight might be greater but flooring would be easier to install.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #7

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
I really like this idea! I would have made the decking in three separate sections so water would fall off the trailer and not sit up against the fiberglass body. Water is very persistent. Even if you fiberglass the floor, water will penetrate in between the floor and deck, and start to rot. Not trying to be negative,sorry, Just trying to brainstorm on a great idea.
willisworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #8

Name: voytek
Trailer: Boler 13
New Jersey
Thank you all for your comments and advice! After going though several hardware stores in my area and countless manufacturer websites I finally found what I was after pretty much by accident at my local Home Depot: Glasliner RFP wall panels made by Glasteel in TN (see this link Detail SubTradeMark Products). The panels are gelcoated on one side and the only size my HD has is 4' x 8', at $29 per panel I can't think of a better material for camper applications. I was very close to going with the plywood method RogerDat suggested but given that my entire shell sits on a flat trailer I did not want to have the edges "dig" into the frame and wood. Water sitting between the trailer planks and my upper floor was also going to be a problem. By sliding Glasliner panels gelcoated-side down under the shell I hopefully eliminated both problems. The new floor is only about 1/8'' thick and has little structural strength so I'll glass in a plywood layer on top of it to keep things in place when I bolt it all down to the trailer. Here are some photos as I was cutting off the outer edges, and the still unfinished interior with fender enclosures coming next.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

voytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #9

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
I like what you are doing Voytek! I had a similar idea for my 1700. I just replaced the floor in one of my utility trailers which is very similar to your trailer frame. I think you definitely want to address any water infiltration between planks but the main place I had rot was where the wood touched the frame. All kinds of places for it to migrate to and from. Don't rely on caulking to keep water out on a flat surface. Especially one that will be vibrating a lot. You could use some pressure treated wood but that would be wet and won't take any coating well until it dries out. Whatever you do make sure you use a physical barrier wherever two different types of materials meet such as metal and wood. There are a lot of things that would work for that. Get as much water to shed off your floor. You can always spray the floor with some truck bedliner too.
Crackedegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
will gain headroom that is always welcome
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #11

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Ontario
I own a 1975 Boler and very much about keeping them original but i must say that is pretty damn cool good for you on thinking way outside the box really neat keep up the good work!
blaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #12

Dylan, welcome to FiberglassRV!

Would you like to start a thread in the "Hi, I am..." forum. Don't want to see your post get lost in the shuffle. Maybe post pictures of your 1975 Boler there too? We love pictures
Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #13

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...Wow, what is a great idea. I am a newbee here and being in the process of rebuilding my first FB camper trailer. This idea would be defintely in my mind for the next grand..modifying project. In the end I would have a very sturdy, strong camper. I found out I could learn a lot with.. no end into new stuffs from this forum. Very appreciated to all members inputs. Thanks.
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #14

I really hope Voytek comes back and tells us how this project is coming along.. or if it's completed! Last Activity: 09-24-2012 07:29 AM

Tags
boler