Modified Lil Snoozy - What do you think? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
If I was going to use the trailer for more than just a couple of week-ends a year I think I would avoid a 30" bed. I slept in the top bunk of my scamp which is 30" on one occasion and never sleep all that well as I was worried I might fall out off it. Actually have had a teen fall off it in the middle of the night once. I think that the issue of too narrow a bed would be an even bigger problem for someone bigger than myself or the teen that fell out of my scamps bunk.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Most Fiberglass trailers have furniture, closets, kitchen cabinets, or poles to support the roof. I believe the bed "arch" serves that purpose in the Lil Snoozy, i.e. it's structural.. If so, to rotate the bed space you need to consider the arch. Raz

Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #17

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Here's the side views showing the kitchen counter tops, bath, closet and beds. You can see how the curved front of the shell affects the space available in the very front. I believe there is space though to sleep with my head forward (20" headroom one foot behind forward edge of bed). The upward slope of the floor starts 18" before the bottom of the dresser and has risen 8" by the time it intersects with the bottom of the dresser.

I called the factory and found the wood frame separating the bed from the rest of the trailer is just decorative.

Both beds are now 75" long. The top of the mattress is 30" above the floor. I did a little mock-up and can easily walk down a 16" wide aisle without shuffling sideways. Even a 12" aisle would be shufflable with toe space under the bed box.

Not much space between the end of the beds and the closet wall, though.

We have a 30" wide futon and that seems OK. Neither of us are very big.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I stand corrected. I had pictured the front slant as being sharper and cutting deeper into the floor. Looks like you will be able to stay on level floor until you get halfway or better alongside the bed. And there should be room to sit up in bed without bumping your head, too! I notice, though, that your 75x30 rectangle sticks out past the front of the trailer a bit... so in reality won't it have to come toward the back another 2 or 3 inches?

Having a 30" wide bed isn't terrible; the queen bed is 60" wide, and that's 30" per person. However, having those 30" up against a wall on one side really crimps things in practice. Get any bed and put it against the wall, mark off the open side somehow so only 30" is left, lie on it and see if you can live with it. My own preference would be to keep it a queen, centered in the (76"?) space so you have a bit of room on either side to set things down, drape the blankets over the edge, etc. At that height it will be easy enough to get into bed by simply kneeling on it and moving forward.

Thanks for posting this, btw. The Snoozy is looking more versatile by the minute. It gets me thinking.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #19
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
I called the factory and found the wood frame separating the bed from the rest of the trailer is just decorative.
Want did they think of your mod?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #20

Michigan
Raz, I didn't discuss it with them yet, other than to confirm they can build anything that fits inside the empty shell.

I want to get my thoughts narrowed down to one "best plan" before I start confusing them with how 'bout this, how 'bout that.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
Raz

Vermont
I have to say I am surprised that there isn't something structural at that end of the trailer. Of course the trailer is not that long. The pictures just make it appear that way.

I too think if you do this you should make the beds the same length. That allows for the option of one large bed in the future. King? Califonia King? Well, whippin' big anyway!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Raz, I remember when they first introduced the Lil Snoozy on this forum. Mr. Smoak pointed out at that time how they had made the shell structually self-sufficient, needing no inner bulkheads or reinforcements to support it. I believe it's some sort of honeycomb or waffle-grid pattern inside, I forget exactly, but I guess it's a lot like how a boat hull is made.

Compare that to a Scamp, which would wobble itself to death quickly on the road if the shell were not supported by cabinets and stuff.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #23

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
I love a twin bed mode. We have one and because of it, both hubby and I have our OWN beds. If he wants to mess his bed up or pile his stuff on his bed, mine is still nicely made. We bought this one ONLY because it HAS twin beds. There is full storage underneath each bed. I would assume that would be the way in the Snoozy also. Definately think storage (the reason I do not like the Casita Freedom is not enough storage and wasted space around those seats.). Couch could mean another sleeping space for a child or dog or - even though small.
If can figure twin beds and a table/booth set up it is great!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #24

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
I love a twin bed mode. We have one and because of it, both hubby and I have our OWN beds. If he wants to mess his bed up or pile his stuff on his bed, mine is still nicely made. We bought this one ONLY because it HAS twin beds. There is full storage underneath each bed. I would assume that would be the way in the Snoozy also. Definately think storage (the reason I do not like the Casita Freedom is not enough storage and wasted space around those seats.). Couch could mean another sleeping space for a child or dog or - even though small.
If can figure twin beds and a table/booth set up it is great!
It s funny you would mention this as I felt the same way....until I got a Freedom and have been using it!
An example is my 1 Vice as I like to call it,bottled water. In a Sprit I could not stick a case of the big sport bottles anywhere except under the big bed or on the Bathroom floor unless they were just sitting in the middle of the main floor.
The space under either dinette seat was just not right to stick the water into.

In the Freedom a Case easily slide right in between any of the Chairs and the next thing in the way? I can get like 4 cases in and out of the way entirely although as you say it does not look that way at all.
The Freedom really does give some "Freedom" that just needs to be seen to believe.

I have taken out one of the chairs in mine in preparation of Modding the space but the more I try to plan the more I realize there might have been some method to Casitas Madness in creating the Freedom that is much more than meets the eye? Maybe they just got lucky with it but it does feel more open and spacious in there than the Spirit does to me and now I am not so sure I won't put the chair back and live with it a little longer.

I did make a Table about twice the size of the factory table and it is very handy aside from being tough to slide by getting in and out of the chairs.

The entire space around the Dinette just bothered me as there is no organization but I am seeing now that it presents possibilities that the Spirit did not.
Also the chairs are a lot more comfy than the Spirit benches to me.

Sometimes things are just not as they seem at first glance.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #25

Michigan
Snoozy Mods v2.0

Thanks to all for the responses to my prior thread about reconfiguring the interior of a Lil Snoozy. Having to climb over the spouse to get up at night is a deal-breaker.

I've come up with a couple of ways of keeping the twin beds but opening up the "living room". Both plans expand the closet in the first design from 12" to 20" long.

This plan (#4) eliminates the space devoted to an aisle and lengthens the living room about 30". The negative is that one of the beds doubles as a couch so some sort of a day cover would be needed to keep my muddy jeans off the bed spread. I imagine most eggers have double duty beds like this. How big of a hassle is it?

The second plan (#5) has more complex beds but adds 18" to the living room AND has a separate couch. The beds are 57" long with an 18" removable extension to make the total length 75". There are two floor plans below, one showing the extensions in place for sleeping, the other showing the extensions in the day configuration where they make a chaise lounge at the end of the beds. I can imagine drawer slides that pull out to support the extensions at night.

First the night plan which is just like the design in the first thread but, as several of you suggested, I changed one of the chairs to a couch:

And the day plan:

What do you think?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Intelligent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Compare that to a Scamp, which would wobble itself to death quickly on the road if the shell were not supported by cabinets and stuff.

Mike,
Just so your comment won't be considered as a negative, it's intelligent for Scamp or any manufacturer to incorporate the cabinets into the overall structure. Actually the incorporation of cabinets can subsrantially increase the structural strength due to their thickness compared to the wall's thickness. This holds true for all brands of trailers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #27

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Raz, I remember when they first introduced the Lil Snoozy on this forum. Mr. Smoak pointed out at that time how they had made the shell structually self-sufficient, needing no inner bulkheads or reinforcements to support it. I believe it's some sort of honeycomb or waffle-grid pattern inside, I forget exactly, but I guess it's a lot like how a boat hull is made.

-------------------------------------------------------

As I understand it to mold a Snoozy they put gel coat, fiberglass, foam, fiberglass and gel coat into a female mold then insert a matching male mold. A vaccuum pump then sucks resin in to fill the space between the molds and it's allowed to cure. The finished part has finished faces on both sides and a structural foam core that makes the structure quite strong for its weight and adds insulation. This resin infusion process is common in high performance boats.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
I rather like your idea. It reminds me of a little boat interior.
A couple of thoughts, if they'd work for you:
Consider moving the refrigerator next to the door, with a hanging locker above it (you could also use it as a pantry if you don't need hanging locker) floor to ceiling. Mini kitchen next to it. Are you planning for a cooktop, or just an induction hot plate and microwave? Will you have gas?
The 12 inch cabinet next to the shower could become 15 to 16, with drawers or doors, and a "hutch" type split. You'll no longer need a side table, as each chair has a surface to place a drink or snack, and you'd gain a little extra counter space. Again, one half could become a hanging locker, and you could hang a tv mount or bookrack off the side of the cabinet. Ideally, you could put the sink on this side, and you'd have very limited plumbing runs, next to the bathroom.
The depth of the bunks and the aisle indicate you'd probably be accessing underbunk storage from the top, which is a real pain. If you could sleep ok, I'd think about narrowing the bunks by 2 inches each, leaving a decent aisle to accommodate pulling out drawers or bins from under each bunk. If you built a slide out support to hold back cushions at night, the bunks could become a really nice king. That would really increase your options and resale, too. The bunks would be nice seating during the day, but you'd probably want to use sleeping bags or travasaks to make up the bed at night for the king.
I also think you're wise to draw and redraw, before taking your ideas to the manufacturer. Friends of mine have even made cardboard models out of big boxes to "get the feel".
Good luck!
Sherry