Modified Lil Snoozy - What do you think? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have to say I am surprised that there isn't something structural at that end of the trailer. Of course the trailer is not that long. The pictures just make it appear that way.

I too think if you do this you should make the beds the same length. That allows for the option of one large bed in the future. King? Califonia King? Well, whippin' big anyway!
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Raz, I remember when they first introduced the Lil Snoozy on this forum. Mr. Smoak pointed out at that time how they had made the shell structually self-sufficient, needing no inner bulkheads or reinforcements to support it. I believe it's some sort of honeycomb or waffle-grid pattern inside, I forget exactly, but I guess it's a lot like how a boat hull is made.

Compare that to a Scamp, which would wobble itself to death quickly on the road if the shell were not supported by cabinets and stuff.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I love a twin bed mode. We have one and because of it, both hubby and I have our OWN beds. If he wants to mess his bed up or pile his stuff on his bed, mine is still nicely made. We bought this one ONLY because it HAS twin beds. There is full storage underneath each bed. I would assume that would be the way in the Snoozy also. Definately think storage (the reason I do not like the Casita Freedom is not enough storage and wasted space around those seats.). Couch could mean another sleeping space for a child or dog or - even though small.
If can figure twin beds and a table/booth set up it is great!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
I love a twin bed mode. We have one and because of it, both hubby and I have our OWN beds. If he wants to mess his bed up or pile his stuff on his bed, mine is still nicely made. We bought this one ONLY because it HAS twin beds. There is full storage underneath each bed. I would assume that would be the way in the Snoozy also. Definately think storage (the reason I do not like the Casita Freedom is not enough storage and wasted space around those seats.). Couch could mean another sleeping space for a child or dog or - even though small.
If can figure twin beds and a table/booth set up it is great!
It s funny you would mention this as I felt the same way....until I got a Freedom and have been using it!
An example is my 1 Vice as I like to call it,bottled water. In a Sprit I could not stick a case of the big sport bottles anywhere except under the big bed or on the Bathroom floor unless they were just sitting in the middle of the main floor.
The space under either dinette seat was just not right to stick the water into.

In the Freedom a Case easily slide right in between any of the Chairs and the next thing in the way? I can get like 4 cases in and out of the way entirely although as you say it does not look that way at all.
The Freedom really does give some "Freedom" that just needs to be seen to believe.

I have taken out one of the chairs in mine in preparation of Modding the space but the more I try to plan the more I realize there might have been some method to Casitas Madness in creating the Freedom that is much more than meets the eye? Maybe they just got lucky with it but it does feel more open and spacious in there than the Spirit does to me and now I am not so sure I won't put the chair back and live with it a little longer.

I did make a Table about twice the size of the factory table and it is very handy aside from being tough to slide by getting in and out of the chairs.

The entire space around the Dinette just bothered me as there is no organization but I am seeing now that it presents possibilities that the Spirit did not.
Also the chairs are a lot more comfy than the Spirit benches to me.

Sometimes things are just not as they seem at first glance.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #25

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Snoozy Mods v2.0

Thanks to all for the responses to my prior thread about reconfiguring the interior of a Lil Snoozy. Having to climb over the spouse to get up at night is a deal-breaker.

I've come up with a couple of ways of keeping the twin beds but opening up the "living room". Both plans expand the closet in the first design from 12" to 20" long.

This plan (#4) eliminates the space devoted to an aisle and lengthens the living room about 30". The negative is that one of the beds doubles as a couch so some sort of a day cover would be needed to keep my muddy jeans off the bed spread. I imagine most eggers have double duty beds like this. How big of a hassle is it?

The second plan (#5) has more complex beds but adds 18" to the living room AND has a separate couch. The beds are 57" long with an 18" removable extension to make the total length 75". There are two floor plans below, one showing the extensions in place for sleeping, the other showing the extensions in the day configuration where they make a chaise lounge at the end of the beds. I can imagine drawer slides that pull out to support the extensions at night.

First the night plan which is just like the design in the first thread but, as several of you suggested, I changed one of the chairs to a couch:

And the day plan:

What do you think?
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Intelligent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Compare that to a Scamp, which would wobble itself to death quickly on the road if the shell were not supported by cabinets and stuff.

Mike,
Just so your comment won't be considered as a negative, it's intelligent for Scamp or any manufacturer to incorporate the cabinets into the overall structure. Actually the incorporation of cabinets can subsrantially increase the structural strength due to their thickness compared to the wall's thickness. This holds true for all brands of trailers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #27

Michigan
Quote:
Raz, I remember when they first introduced the Lil Snoozy on this forum. Mr. Smoak pointed out at that time how they had made the shell structually self-sufficient, needing no inner bulkheads or reinforcements to support it. I believe it's some sort of honeycomb or waffle-grid pattern inside, I forget exactly, but I guess it's a lot like how a boat hull is made.

-------------------------------------------------------

As I understand it to mold a Snoozy they put gel coat, fiberglass, foam, fiberglass and gel coat into a female mold then insert a matching male mold. A vaccuum pump then sucks resin in to fill the space between the molds and it's allowed to cure. The finished part has finished faces on both sides and a structural foam core that makes the structure quite strong for its weight and adds insulation. This resin infusion process is common in high performance boats.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I rather like your idea. It reminds me of a little boat interior.
A couple of thoughts, if they'd work for you:
Consider moving the refrigerator next to the door, with a hanging locker above it (you could also use it as a pantry if you don't need hanging locker) floor to ceiling. Mini kitchen next to it. Are you planning for a cooktop, or just an induction hot plate and microwave? Will you have gas?
The 12 inch cabinet next to the shower could become 15 to 16, with drawers or doors, and a "hutch" type split. You'll no longer need a side table, as each chair has a surface to place a drink or snack, and you'd gain a little extra counter space. Again, one half could become a hanging locker, and you could hang a tv mount or bookrack off the side of the cabinet. Ideally, you could put the sink on this side, and you'd have very limited plumbing runs, next to the bathroom.
The depth of the bunks and the aisle indicate you'd probably be accessing underbunk storage from the top, which is a real pain. If you could sleep ok, I'd think about narrowing the bunks by 2 inches each, leaving a decent aisle to accommodate pulling out drawers or bins from under each bunk. If you built a slide out support to hold back cushions at night, the bunks could become a really nice king. That would really increase your options and resale, too. The bunks would be nice seating during the day, but you'd probably want to use sleeping bags or travasaks to make up the bed at night for the king.
I also think you're wise to draw and redraw, before taking your ideas to the manufacturer. Friends of mine have even made cardboard models out of big boxes to "get the feel".
Good luck!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #29

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
How about something like #4 but put a small dinette opposite the side bed?

I like the twin bed idea and have thought of doing it in my Campster. I have only 72 inches to play with, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Number 4 has great possibilities.
I'd move the closet to the end, near the door. Refrigerator underneath, or not, as you prefer.
Put a slideout support to allow the small bunk to be 36 inches wide, at least.
Move the sink next to the bathroom; hutch cabinet.
I don't see a range/cooktop. Will you want one, or just microwave?
I like the options for underbunk storage in this plan. Also, easier to convert to a full king later if that's what you decide, or want to offer as an option for resale.
Any upper cabinets anywhere? Or just windows and cargo nets?
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #31
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I wouldn't want anything on wheels inside a trailer.

Might be worth a roll of blue tape to do an actual size layout.

Your #5 is interesting. Seems to me you might be able to choose dimensions for bed length and the extensions so they could fill the aisle should you wish a single bed. 30"x60" and 30"x18"
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
An escape owner did this. A little extension for your feet that can be put away during the day. A few scoots get you out of bed, Not over each other. Gives elbow room up top.
Attached Thumbnails
sn.gif  
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #33

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Jack Knife Couch/Bed size?

What size bed does the original LilSnoozy couch fold out to? I'm wondering why you wouldn't simply sleep one on the bed and one on the "jack-knife couch" if you want separate beds.

I'm seriously considering a LilSnoozy (haven't seen one yet) but am thinking of going in the other direction... I'm wondering how comfortable the couch is and can I take it out and fit in two small recliners?

By the way, I enjoy viewing your schematics perhaps as much as you enjoy drawing them.
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #34

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post
What size bed does the original LilSnoozy couch fold out to? I'm wondering why you wouldn't simply sleep one on the bed and one on the "jack-knife couch" if you want separate beds.

The bed unfolds to about 72 x 40 I believe, which is plenty big. We did not want to have to make up the bed every night, though. We also want more inside storage with some clothes on hangers.

PS: I do enjoy drawing these plans. Google Sketchup is free and easy to make simple drawings, especially if you stick to 2D.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #35

Michigan
Sherry, thannks for your insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
Number 4 has great possibilities.
I'd move the closet to the end, near the door. Refrigerator underneath, or not, as you prefer.

That's a good idea but the A/C unit is high on the back wall over the sink That is the only place it can fit on the rear wall and I wouldn't it to be sticking out the side.

Put a slideout support to allow the small bunk to be 36 inches wide, at least.

The back cushion sits on the floor next to the bed making it about 38" wide.

Move the sink next to the bathroom; hutch cabinet.

I wouldn't want to spill on the couch next to the closet. The newest plan will use your hutch idea for a 20" deep hanging locker on top of a 24" deep, 30" high cabinet where the closet is shown now. There will probably be a Propex furnace at the bottom of this cabinet.

I don't see a range/cooktop. Will you want one, or just microwave?

More discussion with Ms. Camper-to-be indicates there needs to be a range with oven. Apparently a microwave is not important (goodbye popcorn ).

I like the options for underbunk storage in this plan. Also, easier to convert to a full king later if that's what you decide, or want to offer as an option for resale.

Any upper cabinets anywhere? Or just windows and cargo nets?

Cabinets along the curb side wall and down to the countertop like this pic from the Snoozy websire:

Sherry
Old 03-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
[/I]

Mike,
Just so your comment won't be considered as a negative, it's intelligent for Scamp or any manufacturer to incorporate the cabinets into the overall structure. Actually the incorporation of cabinets can subsrantially increase the structural strength due to their thickness compared to the wall's thickness. This holds true for all brands of trailers.
Right, absolutely. Didn't mean to pick out one manufacturer, as Casita, Boler, etc. are all designed that way. And the design works. At the same time, I guess I was hoping my comment might help someone someday to realize that they can't strip their egg bare inside and use it that way. When I first started looking, that's what I thought I could do! (duh)
Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #37

On #4, it looks like you even would have room to put 2 of those chairs and a table along the curbside wall, clearing the aisle completely. Just a thought.

Personally, that jackknife sofa they offer is a big drawing card to me. My trailer's "sit on a cushion atop a wooden box" sofa is not as comfy as I'd like.

If you built #5, would you still make the bed back into a sofa every day? Or would you just move the back cushion into position and sit on the blankets? (I'm lazy, I know what I would do! )
Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #38

Michigan
Mike,
Quote:
On #4, it looks like you even would have room to put 2 of those chairs and a table along the curbside wall, clearing the aisle completely. Just a thought.

That would work too. The table is meant to be a light weight folding unit that mostly lives its life in storage.

Personally, that jackknife sofa they offer is a big drawing card to me. My trailer's "sit on a cushion atop a wooden box" sofa is not as comfy as I'd like.

I agree but we hope to avoid stripping and remaking the bed every day.

If you built #5, would you still make the bed back into a sofa every day? Or would you just move the back cushion into position and sit on the blankets? (I'm lazy, I know what I would do! )

Hmmm....
Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
Cool IS 30 in. enough

My wife and I have been serving on a Ministry Ship for the last 4 months and each sleep on a bunk that is 30 in. wide, but pushed together. It is very much like sleeping on a queen size bed, but with a crqck between us. We are both 6'1", and I weight around 230lbs. It isn't as confortable as our King Size bed at home, but we do get a good nights sleep, and will be doing it for another 20 months.

I have also been sailing for many years on yachts, and most bunks on yachts are less than 30" wide, even on the larger yachts. You should have no problem with 30" bunks, but it may take a little getting use to, as we Americans are use to our roomy beds.

I have also looked at the Lil' Snoozy, went to the factory, and am very impressed with the quality of the finish of the fiberglass parts. I get the feeling with carpeting on the inside surfaces, that the manufacture is trying to hid something, although I have been to the Casita Factory and seen their manufacturing, and it looks very good. Also keeping the interior clean will be a lot easier with a smooth fiberglass surface.

I hope you get what you are looking for and have a wonderful time camping, my wife and I are looking forward to doing the same thing after we complete our time on the Ministry Ship.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
South Carolina
Wow!
You guys have given me some excellent thoughts for future floor plans. One person stated correctly the "LiL Snoozy" needs "no" inner supports so yes the arch can be easily deleted. All of these ideas are great and it just depends on which one suits you the best. Our cabinet shop will build any thing you want as long as it will fit with in the body. As always they will charge extra for it but so far they have been very reasonable on custon designs. One thought I had after reading all of the awesome thoughts is I personally like the idea of the slide out from under the queen mattress like Ken C suggested. That way during the day you will have our unbelivabley confortable couch which is a "three person couch" 68" long. ( I need to get Nicholas to update that drawing) you could then retain the large entertainment center which now has two drawers in it, four shelves and room for a large TV and still have a fold out jack knife couch just in case a grandchild comes along one weekend while also retaing the roominess of our interior. And to accomplish this would be pennys of cost increase. All the while retaining the flexibility for resale by not being too unusual. Keep giving us thoughts, we listen!, and we aim to make this the neatest little camper on the market. By the way some updates. A new tan fiberglass AC cover with matching vents cleans up the ac on the out side and you don't have to remove or fold down anything to turn it on, drains are on the out side so no worries of water drain intrusion in the cabin.. Also a new tan front fiberglass tongue cover (hiding all but a tiny bit of the frame) which gives more room for a gen or propane bottles or extra storage. Another note: We just finished one today and weighed the toungue weight and it looks like we got it down to 195 lbs with the hot water heater full of water! So it looks like we may be able to satisfy the Subaru needs. As always we are evolving daily with new and better ideas and a lot of that credit goes to you guys here on FRV! Again Thanks to you all for your input.
Alan ( The Old MAN Snoozy)
Old Man Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote